Author Topic: 5.7L Hemi Swap - Bare block? Junkyard? Craigslist?  (Read 7858 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
5.7L Hemi Swap - Bare block? Junkyard? Craigslist?
« on: August 10, 2014 - 08:22:19 PM »
If I were to start with a bare 5.7L Hemi block w/mains, buy a stroker kit for it, gasket set, heads and intake, does anyone have a resource/book for the rest of the parts?

A hardware kit of some sort for the intake, accessories, etc?
Power steering pump and accessories?
Oiling system components

I have a lead on a block but am concerned with the length of time it will take to track everything down at a reasonable cost.

-
For those that have purchased an 03-08 5.7L. Can I ask how much you were able to source the engine for and what came along with it at that price?

Thanks!
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: 5.7L Hemi Swap - Bare block? Junkyard? Craigslist?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014 - 09:48:07 PM »
I'm looking to have around $2,000 in the engine + a stroker kit if possible. Something like this [fitting, it was for an Ebody project] would probably be a reasonable alternative. Then just tear it down for the stroker kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-7L-Hemi-Engine-with-harness-pedal-and-ECU-/201141358390?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed4f58f36&vxp=mtr
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline 73restomod

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014 - 10:01:03 PM »
I have a 5.7 hemi block 2004 vintage with the MSDS plugs in it. It's already all tore down and is in great shape, if your interested I'll go get it magna-fluxed to be sure it's 100%, while I'd like to hold on to it, I also don't have any use for it anytime soon. PM me if your interested and I'll send you some picks.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014 - 10:11:43 AM »
shophemi.com sells a lot of the parts, you can also look at the various OEM Mopar part dealers online and find a lot of the various parts.  A lot of the bolts for things like the alternator and brackets are metric and you can find them at your local hardware store.  These guys also sell a lot of the small parts:

http://www.highhorseperformance.com/category_s/8293.htm

However, there are so many pieces you're going to need (front cover, plus for most heads the companies charge a core charge, all the various sensors, fittings, etc) that I think you would be better off finding a complete engine.  I think pricing everything separately will really add up.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
5.7L Hemi Swap - Bare block? Junkyard? Craigslist?
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014 - 10:18:40 AM »
Thanks Travis.

I think the game plan right now is to find a complete engine. I'm not too interested in spending months tracking down pieces to save $200-$300 if that is even what the difference is.
L
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline calicuda70

• 2 evil 70's and 1 BAD 11
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014 - 12:47:58 PM »
good link travis! ive been looking around for some cheeper stuff for the gen 3 hemi's i got my motor from my engine builder some guy dropped it off bacause he ordered a new one for his magnum instead of having it looked over, only thing i need a valve train and some brakets fo the external engine.

goody im in the boat along with you i going to build a stroker 5.7 getting the crank from scat and some othere places car craft did  a good artile on there junkyard turbo 5.7 which was good look into that.
70 'Cuda 5.7 Hemi protouring resto
70 Challenger 360
11 Challenger SRT8 392

Offline Travis72

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014 - 01:13:45 AM »
One other link, here in AZ most of the recycling yards have all their inventory linked in a database.  I've used this to find a number of parts.  Its much nicer than trying to call every yard.  Perhaps your state has something similar.  Otherwise Craigslist might be your best bet for a good deal.

http://aara.com/

A quick check here in AZ and it looks like there are five complete 5.7L hemi's at around 2k each.  Depending on how long you can go with having your car torn apart, you might even consider performing the swap with a junkyard 5.7, just to get all the various engine swap and electrical bugs worked out.  Then if you wanted to rebuild it in to a stroker motor you could pull the engine back out at that time.  At least then your only unknown variable would be the stroker motor.  So if your new stroker motor doesn't want to start or something you're not worried about if its the electrical, or the ECU, or the 1000 other things that could be wrong.  Its a little more work that way, but anyway just a thought.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Modern Muscle

• Modern Muscle Performance Group
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014 - 08:57:27 AM »
Not sure if it is in your budget or not but we have brand new 5.7 Crate engines on stock. $4995.00

http://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/product/57L-Hemi-Crate-Engine