Author Topic: seeking to remove upper and lower control arms  (Read 1776 times)

Offline gomangoRT/SE

seeking to remove upper and lower control arms
« on: April 25, 2005 - 09:35:31 PM »
I am told to remove my lower control arms i first need to release the pressure on the torsion bars by undoing the clilps in the rear of the torsion bars......then to relieve the pressure by completly unscrewing the bolts that go thru the lower control arms.........Am i correct to assume this will release all the pressure and then allow me to take the torsion bars out thru the real..........hmm how can I get the torsion bars knocked out thru the rear?   And I have been told that the rear torsion bars from factory were actually gold cadmium plated?   Some guy who has had concours cars told me this??  Is that true?     I want to take out the K frame and perhaps powder coat.   After the control arms are all off I think its only a matter of four bolts......thanks for your reply!!   kevin

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Re: seeking to remove upper and lower control arms
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005 - 09:51:09 PM »
GoMango, I just finished doing all this to mine over my Spring Break.  The first thing to do is loosen up the tension on the t bars by unscrewing the adjuster bolt on the lower control arm (LCA).  I didn't pull mine out through the rear because I believe the only way to do that is if you have the removal tool that allows to you get a good blow on them to get them loose.  I just pulled all mine out as an assembly, then PB Blasted the heck out of the socket in the LCA to free it up.  Alright, back to the removal of the control arms.  I unbolted the oblonged-headed bolts and washer assemblies that hold the UCA and LCA to the shock tower.  They may need a little tap with a dead blow to get them loose and out.  Then you need to unbolt the strut rod from the the K-member and then start unbolting the four huge bolts that hold the K-member to the frame.  If you let it down equally, the entire assembly should drop down with little effort needed. :thumbs:  As for reassembly someone suggested, I believe it is Plum6Pak, you put everything all together again and slide it back into place as a unit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005 - 09:53:13 PM by Street_Challenged73 »
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005 - 12:43:22 AM »
the other way that works is to pry both the lower control ARm ,after undoing the nut, & pry the T bar & control arm out together

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudaguy71

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005 - 01:31:19 PM »
GoManGo, you may already have this project finished but in case you don't, Mopar Muscle Magazine had a two-part article on removing & restoring a K-member.  Issues was February and March of 2001.

Eddie
1973 'Cuda Project
1971 'Cuda Project
1998 Dodge Ram 1500
2003 Dodge Dakota Sport
1979 Plymouth Arrow

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005 - 04:29:30 PM »
Cudaguy...........yep took care of this a few months ago.........but hey thanks for the info on the article........may prove helpful to others also.........thanks again