Author Topic: Power Steering Rebuild?  (Read 838 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Power Steering Rebuild?
« on: September 24, 2014 - 09:36:34 AM »
I am thinking of rebuilding my power steering box this winter.

Has anyone installed extra reaction springs to tighten up the feel of the box. I just don't want to put the money out for a Firm Feel box right now.

Yes I know about shimming the valve in the pump, I am in the process of that now. But I have two boxes, so I figure I could steel the reaction springs from one box and add them to the other during the rebuild.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Power Steering Rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014 - 09:56:04 AM »
Personally, I would only do one mod at a time.  If you lower the pressure in the pump and stiffen up the box, you might end up with something you don't like.  Do the pump mod and see what the steering "feel" is.  Then if you still want to stiffen it up even more, you can work on the box. :2cents:

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014 - 10:40:29 AM »
Personally, I would only do one mod at a time.  If you lower the pressure in the pump and stiffen up the box, you might end up with something you don't like.  Do the pump mod and see what the steering "feel" is.  Then if you still want to stiffen it up even more, you can work on the box. :2cents:

I agree. 

Just thinking ahead while board at work! :bigsmile:

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014 - 10:45:07 AM »
I can relate.  :sleeping: