Author Topic: Leaf Spring fitment  (Read 763 times)

Offline V02Barracuda

Leaf Spring fitment
« on: September 29, 2014 - 12:32:42 PM »
I decided it was time to rebuild the rear suspension on my 70 Barracuda.  I'm replacing everything except the axle housing.  On to my question: I replaced the old 318 springs with Hemi springs from Espo (they seem high quality).  I put everyting back in and decided to stand back and look at the work I did.  The leaf on the passenger side looks perfect.  It runs very straight from the shackle to the hanger.  Not the case with the driver side.  The leaf on the driver side actually runs on an angle from the shackle to the hanger.  It literally runs inward.  It's all stock stuff here.  NO OFFSET pieces were used.   

Also, during the assembly process, everything lined up perfect.  Is it normal for the driver side leaf spring to run on an angle (inward)? 

Just to be clear here, I'm not blaming the springs themselves.  I'm blaming the location of the hanger in relationship to the shackle. 

Thank you for any input.

Mike

Offline dave73chally

Re: Leaf Spring fitment
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014 - 02:00:15 PM »
What did your previous springs look like before you installed the new set? Maybe post a picture so we can see what's going on? I just installed a set of new ESPOs and everything lined up and looks straight on mine..
73 Challenger
512 / 4spd / Hotchkis & QA1 Suspension

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014 - 02:03:10 PM »
Actually, E body springs are supposed to angle inward on both sides at the hanger and be slightly kicked out at the shackle end. I'd be concerned that the passenger side is incorrect if it is parallel to the frame.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014 - 07:26:11 PM »
Actually, E body springs are supposed to angle inward on both sides at the hanger and be slightly kicked out at the shackle end. I'd be concerned that the passenger side is incorrect if it is parallel to the frame.

:iagree: What he said.  :)
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline V02Barracuda

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014 - 12:15:49 PM »
Thanks guys for your input.  I'll look again but I know the drivers side has the angle and the pass. side is straight on.  Oh well, nothing I can do about it.  Thanks.