Author Topic: 1970 Challenger TA; the little things... It's in the details.. and ownership...  (Read 3374 times)

Offline hemi68charger

• Charger Power!!
    • Houston Mopar Club Connection
Hey gang..
Mr. Charger here is diving into the ranks of E-body ownership, that of a 1970 Challenger T/A... It is a Top Banana non-vinyl ( which I prefer ) 4speed non-console. It is in real good shape and I'm excited about owning my 1st E-Body... After restoring my buddy's '71 v-code Challenger R/T last year, I sort of grew to like it. Soooooo, with that said, is there a thread on the idiosyncrasies of Challenger T/A's? I'm sure there are little things here and there and that's what I'm looking for....  More pictures once it is home ( hopefully in two weeks ). It is funny how things fall into place. Wasn't even looking for a E-body, was going the Charger R/T route after I sold my Daytona clone. Got it from a good friend of mine I've known for decades..

it's an older restoration, couple of years. The original block is long gone, but was replaced with a real TA block. Has all the other TA-specific stuff if I recall correctly.

Troy
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014 - 08:24:55 AM by hemi68charger »
'69 Daytona 426 HEMI-727
'70 Superbird 440 - 4speed

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
  Looks like you snagged a really nice one.  :2thumbs:  Is this a numbers car ?  Older restoration ?  Survivor ?

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Nice!  :thumbsup:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Looks pretty darn good as is Troy.......Enjoy :cheers:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
Great looking T/A!!  And a T/A block to boot!!  :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

Offline hemi68charger

• Charger Power!!
    • Houston Mopar Club Connection
Great looking T/A!!  And a T/A block to boot!!  :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

This is my learning curve...... What's the deal with a TA block versus a standard 340 block? I know the TA heads have the rocker pedestals for adjustable rockers, correct?
'69 Daytona 426 HEMI-727
'70 Superbird 440 - 4speed

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
This is my learning curve...... What's the deal with a TA block versus a standard 340 block? I know the TA heads have the rocker pedestals for adjustable rockers, correct?

The T/A block allowed for a 4 bolt main and obviously not very many were made.  Can you read the VIN on the passenger side stamp pad?  If you can, you can research to see if the T/A or AAR is looking for the original block - or you can just keep it.  You are right about the T/A heads, and they also had offset pushrod holes so they could oversize the intake port.  You can tell just by peeping through the breather and looking for the rods to be closer together.

This is a good info video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OvSFaAvMM0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
The block has heavier main webs , allowing for 4 bolt mains But the block was not modified for the 4 bolt caps , the heads have relocated intake pushrod holes as mentioned with T/A specific offset iron rocker arms this allowed for porting the intake port with the pushrod moved but again the heads were never ported or modified other than the offset pushrod holes .
 Welcome to E bodies Troy  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cwestra

I've also read that the T/A blocks have a higher nickel content than standard blocks.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
All Mopar Iron was high nickle content , I could port Chev & Ford heads like butter , I needed new cutters constantly porting Mopar iron !!

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Great looking car!!!!!!   :clapping:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline 74 challenge

I'd say there is one issue:

too much tread on those rear tires...I'm an expert in fixing this for several sets of tires, better let an expert like me handle this... :burnout: :burnout:

seriously nice car and some might not agree but a real T/A with a non-numbers matching block for me would be ideal. IF you ever wanted more power you could do some stuff while keeping the bone stock original look.

enjoy it!
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline Koby

Nice ride! Have fun!
1970 Dodge Challenger T/A Plum Crazy, Auto, imported from Japan

Offline Gus cuda

Love the t/a! Well done and enjoy.

Offline Falbz

Congrats Troy  :cheers: