Author Topic: Rear louvers question  (Read 7342 times)

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
Rear louvers question
« on: November 23, 2014 - 01:57:40 PM »
I'm mocking up the rear louvers today and just doesn't look right. Top center there is a gap of at least an inch between the roof and louver. Also the contour doesn't follow the line of the top of the glass. These are from Dales Cuda Shop. Just want to make sure before I drill holes, maybe I got Cuda louvers in Challenger box ?   :dunno:  No shipping damage on box.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Rear louvers question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014 - 01:58:54 PM »
I would ask Dale's Cuda shop. That could be a possibility  :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014 - 02:23:55 PM »
Also the hardware package included 2 gaskets, 6 tapping screws, 6 machine screws with nuts and 6 washers, along with the pins of course. Not making sense.  :dunno:

Offline dave73chally

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014 - 04:39:36 PM »
That doesn't look right. Let us know what dales says, I was about to pull the trigger on these for my challenger also...
73 Challenger
512 / 4spd / Hotchkis & QA1 Suspension

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014 - 05:10:25 PM »
That doesn't look right. Let us know what dales says, I was about to pull the trigger on these for my challenger also...

I sent Dales an e mail with link to this thread. I just can't see that you would have to bend the top bow down in the middle to conform to  the top of the roof. Was hoping somebody would jump in that has installed one. I will advise.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014 - 06:13:10 PM »
Wow .. from those pictures it looks like the cuda is mounted much higher on the roof than the challenger.  Or am I missing something?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014 - 07:03:04 PM »
the easiest way to tell the difference in the lower corners , the lower slat rounded is Cuda , squared off is Chall .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014 - 08:36:44 PM »
the easiest way to tell the difference in the lower corners , the lower slat rounded is Cuda , squared off is Chall .

Cool ... I can see that in the pictures.  Thanks.  :wave:

Offline Racer57

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014 - 03:52:36 PM »
'70 Cuda. Seller made a point of telling me these were original and after reading this thread I'm starting to wonder.  Was he lying ?

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014 - 01:01:56 PM »

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014 - 01:18:40 PM »
Lot of good info and pics here

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=4919698

Thanks Katfish. Talked to Chalie @ Dales Cuda Shop, he told me the louvers are patterned exactly like originals. Unlike the Moparts thread, my problem is in the middle top. I'm going to try it again, maybe slight bnd them.

Offline chtcuda

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014 - 03:18:50 PM »
I feel your pain. I helped a friend put a set on his Challenger that were from Dales as well and the fit was identical to what your dealing with. We took our time tweaking the gap between the roof and louver and eventually got it close. Couldn't do anything about the top window trim showing. My buddy also has an AAR with a set of originals and the only noticeable difference was the length but I'm no expert. The last louver is longer on the ends for the Challenger. Since then I've always wondered if there were two separate jigs for each car or did they just trim off the ends of the ones being installed on Cuda's? My original set pictured below is rounded on the ends.

Oh and I too wondered why the screw inserts weren't included instead of the 6 long screws and nuts. We ordered the inserts and went to Harbor Freight and got one of these. Much better than the screw/nut type insert installers I've seen before. Though we didn't use the included inserts it was nice to know I have some extras.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

Offline dave73chally

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014 - 03:26:14 PM »
Roadman, how did yours turn out? This is very unsettling to me given the price and that I was just about to pull the trigger, has me second guessing them
73 Challenger
512 / 4spd / Hotchkis & QA1 Suspension

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014 - 03:28:02 PM »
Here is the ones I got. Hope the pictures help?  They were from the same place that Neil was getting them I believe. Bought them at Moparfest from the manufacturer near Montreal I think it was? I too used nutserts!  :2thumbs:

Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0