Author Topic: Rocker panel trim install help  (Read 2660 times)

Offline djais1801

Rocker panel trim install help
« on: December 02, 2014 - 03:27:59 PM »
I got NOS rocker panel trim (stainless steel spears) with the metal bracket piece, but no screws.  There are no holes in the rocker for it.
Does this need those plastic clips?  It seems that the metal bracket gets screwed to the rocker, and the spear slides along the guide, and bolts to the body on the ends.

Is this accurate?  Can anyone provide some pics w/ the spear removed to help??
Thanks!

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Rocker panel trim install help
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014 - 04:12:27 PM »
Can you post a picture of this "NOS rocker panel trim (stainless steel spears) with the metal bracket piece" because that doesn't describe any factory E Body rocker panel trim that I've ever heard of :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline djais1801

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014 - 04:47:02 PM »
here is what I have

Offline djais1801

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014 - 04:47:54 PM »
the last picture is a guide w/ holes that slide inside the trim piece
ignore my kids monkey and house slippers lol

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014 - 06:42:31 AM »
Does your car have the .... posts (?) ... for the clips.  They almost look like screws standing proud on the rocker.  You can see them here:

On each end of the rocker there is a screw hole, for my car that lined up with a pre-existing hole in my rockers.

That trim is a ***** to install as sliding and locking the clips onto those posts sucks.  I ended up using fishing line threaded through the wide end of each clip and after getting it on the post used the fishing line to pull the clip onto the narrow end.  The clips I picked up had a tendency to break.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014 - 06:58:23 AM »
1971-74 Cuda (E Body) rocker panel trim is made out of anodized aluminum NOT Stainless Steel and there is NO metal attaching clips used. Hard to tell from your pictures, but I don't recall them having slots in them either. So I'm not 100% sure if you have the correct trim :dunno: Camaro trim is similar.

Factory trim attaches with plastic clips fastened on to metal studs in the rockers as posted above. :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline djais1801

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014 - 07:42:13 AM »
thx will check further into. not 100% they're stainless steel. but thanks for the advice

Offline DocMel

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014 - 09:06:47 AM »
I asked about the "Spear/thin width" type moulding and how it mounts in my own post about 3 weeks ago:  Yes, the this type moulding was available, at least on the 71's  . I have a resto book that does show this type of thin moulding on several examples.  But no, I dont knoow how they attach.  Im still wondering, but i beleive they do slide onto some sort of very small clip, not a set of posts?

Offline djais1801

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014 - 11:04:27 AM »
so if my rockers do not have these posts coming out of the rocker, how could I install the plastic clips...self tapping screws from the outside in?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014 - 11:20:49 AM »
First off you buy these studs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Dodge-Mopar-Chrysler-Windshield-Glass-Trim-Molding-Clip-Pin-Stud-10pcs-/121486383132?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4927181c&vxp=mtr#ht_655wt_1134

Then you buy these clips:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-CUDA-ROCKER-MOLDING-CLIP-KIT-/310774814248?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485b9f5628&vxp=mtr#ht_527wt_781

You screw the pins into the rocker so that the top of the trim is level with the door opening. You slide the clips onto the pins, hook the top of the trim in place and snap the bottom on. Drill holes for the screws that go in each end of the trim...

Offline djais1801

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014 - 11:50:35 AM »
First off you buy these studs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Dodge-Mopar-Chrysler-Windshield-Glass-Trim-Molding-Clip-Pin-Stud-10pcs-/121486383132?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4927181c&vxp=mtr#ht_655wt_1134

Then you buy these clips:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-CUDA-ROCKER-MOLDING-CLIP-KIT-/310774814248?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485b9f5628&vxp=mtr#ht_527wt_781

You screw the pins into the rocker so that the top of the trim is level with the door opening. You slide the clips onto the pins, hook the top of the trim in place and snap the bottom on. Drill holes for the screws that go in each end of the trim...

Thanks Alan!