Author Topic: Are fiberglass fenders really that bad?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline daaboots

Are fiberglass fenders really that bad?
« on: December 03, 2014 - 11:00:39 AM »
So a really good deal has come my way on a set of fiberglass fenders. They look to be in decent shape, and the price is much less than a new set of metal fenders.

So my question for the people using fiberglass fenders, are they really that bad? I understand that you need to add in a metal reinforcement at the back and you need to add the headlight bucket reinforcement. I also understand that they will need to be block sanded. Other than that, are they OK?

Thanks!

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Are fiberglass fenders really that bad?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014 - 11:22:19 AM »
Matter of personal preference  :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014 - 11:26:51 AM »
My car has fiberglass front fenders. I don't like them but for a 74 driver they are just fine. I did not put them on the car came that way.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline daaboots

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014 - 11:36:48 AM »
So what is it about them that you don't like? Do they have a bad finish look? Have they cracked? The fenders I found are a good 6 hour drive from my place. I'm trying to find out if it's worth the drive or not.

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014 - 12:16:44 PM »
No experience with these fenders but I have owned several fiberglass Corvettes in my time and never had a problem with cracking and the paint stayed beautiful on them.  :dunno:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014 - 12:20:45 PM »
My '69 Fastback has had the same fiberglass fenders on it for 12-13 years with zero issues.

Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014 - 12:57:02 PM »
When I restored my hardtop in the early 90's, I added fiberglass fenders as I could not find metal ones . . . no internet or computers.  Options were limited . . . they were fine but any body man could tell they were fiberglass just by looking at them.  Later I added metal ones and am much happier with that situation. 

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014 - 01:09:03 PM »
So what is it about them that you don't like? Do they have a bad finish look? Have they cracked? The fenders I found are a good 6 hour drive from my place. I'm trying to find out if it's worth the drive or not.

Mine look cheap around where they bolt to the inner fender area they do not have those crisp lines of the metal ones. I like the idea of weight savings. As I said I did not put them on and I am sure when it was done in the early 90's not much was available but I find it hard to believe that these were the best options around. They have never warped, cracked, delaminated, faded etc... so there is something to be said for that.

When I restore the car I might throw them back on but only if a body shop can make them look good for less money than a set of metal ones.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014 - 02:43:09 PM »
I put fiberglass fenders on my car when i restored it in the mid 80's as they were, if I recall, the only option. They have been good with no issues. When you open the hood the part of the fender that bolts to the inner fender is not finished as well and is kind of wavy. Looks fine with the hood closed, not so good with the hood open.  :2cents:
I'll probably buy steel fenders to replace them and then have them sit in my garage for 10 years before I actually swap them out. :eek4:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline daaboots

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014 - 02:58:41 PM »
Thanks for all the info folks! Sounds like it's worth a trip to pick them up!