Author Topic: old hemi engine swap  (Read 1055 times)

Offline AAR71

old hemi engine swap
« on: May 04, 2005 - 08:50:59 AM »

Hello out there; I have a question about an engine swap, I want to swap into my 71 barracuda an old hemi. It's a 291 Hemi and I want to find out if any major mods have to be made to get it to fit into the engine compartment. I know that these cars came out with the mighty 426 Hemi but I can"t afford one of those elephants and I got this Hemi complete for cheap it needs to be rebuilt but it's the 4bbl. version. Any help on this type of swap would be greatly appreciated; maybe 392heminut could shed some light into this subject. Thanks

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
Re: old hemi engine swap
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005 - 06:05:31 PM »
sounds like a cool motor the 241-392 babys are neat little motors but heavy.    hot heads makes a bunch of adapters to bolt on chevy parts so that during event of problems parts are avalible.  there is also a mopar hemi book through Performance Automotive Warehouse  PAW they might have something.  Might want to put on an aluminum intake to kill some of the weight. Good Luck and sounds like a cool motor. or EGGE obsolite makes some strange stuff for old motors.

Just a though but paw sells a 392 ready to assemble with or without a 6-71 I thinks its 5000 motor 8000 motor and blower

:worthless:              Is the motor from a car ?   Some of the Industrial motors have built in bell housing (Junk)

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005 - 12:26:34 AM »
nothing about this swap is easy , the older Hemi is wider than the 426 , no mounts are available unless Hotheads makes them , you need a custom make a dist for electronic ign , you neeed a tranny adapter to bolt up a 727 tranny & you will need custom headers

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005 - 12:27:15 PM »
Angelo, sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I'm so busy these days that I have a hard time getting on here long enough to just read the posts. If you're wanting to do the swap just to have a hemi in your Cuda then go for it. If you want to do it for power, there are easier and cheaper ways of getting there. The old hemi's are cool, but they are expensive to build up, and there isn't a lot of high performance stuff out there for 291 hemis. For the info on what I had to do to put the 392 in my Cuda I have a pdf document at www.thehemi.com . Scroll to the bottom of the home page and click on the Tips & Tricks link, then click on the lower 'Early Hemi Installation in B & E bodies'. The article above it covering basically the same thing was done by Charlie Gluck, and is okay, but has some mis-information. I would read them both, as there is good info in both articles, Charlie is just a little off base with some of his stuff. Hope this helps. If you have other questions feel free to email me, my address is in my profile.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline AAR71

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006 - 11:43:13 AM »
 :working:
                     Thanks out there.
   I will check out the link; the engine came out of a 1955 DeSoto and it came from factory with the 4 bbl.,
 Right now I am doing the bodywork on the car to fix all the rust holes and get it ready for paint. I will try to post some pictures before and after once I figure how to work the digital camera and download the pictures.