Author Topic: How do you "take care" of your restoration?  (Read 3922 times)

Offline marc70challenger

How do you "take care" of your restoration?
« on: February 08, 2015 - 12:36:27 AM »
Just picked this up couple weeks ago.  Wanted a mopar for years (decades) ... finally did it!    :burnout:

Right now - just going threw it ... learning its nuances, etc.  Aside from couple very minor, easy fixes ... this thing is clean as they come.  And most everything new ... I think only thing that was not done/replaced are the logos on the inside door panels.

So ... aside from mechanical maintenance and exterior/interior care ("normal" stuff average "car" guy would know) .... what else can I do to ensure I take care of her as she deserves.

I live in Northern VA.  It is in an attached garage (not heated).  I am getting a lift for it (or other cars to make sure all nice ones inside).  Garage floor is cement.

Can tile or other material floor help?  Dehumidifier?  Of course I suppose a heated/cooled garage ... not sure I want to do that .. but ...

Any other hints for car of body, interior, mechanicals that regular dude like me might not know?

Thanks for thoughts and help!    :2thumbs:

PS  And oh - as nice and pristine as it is ... it's a car .... and they are intended to be driven   :ylsuper:   It will get chips and **** thrown up, on and underneath, and rubber on the panels ... that I know I need to attend to and will eventually need some kind of repair ....  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015 - 12:41:36 AM by marc70challenger »
1970 Challenger 340 Performance Package
1965 Barracuda - "The Pumpkin"  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=116471.0

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
Re: How do you "take care" of your restoration?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015 - 08:56:07 AM »
Nice ride.
We lived in PA and had a 2 car garage under my house that was heated but not cooled. In PA we didn't have much need for air conditioning. I didn't have any problems with storing my cars. 11 years ago we moved to South Carolina and have a 2 car attached to our house but no heat or air. I had carpeting on the floor in PA and here. It get very hot and very humid here and I have a big problem with mold. I just spent a week on my back cleaning the mold from underneath our Challenger. Both our 67 GTX and 70 Challenger get mold underneath and the interiors. I do not drive them much and I am thing of removing the carpet from the floor to see if that helps the mold problem underneath the cars. I went to Lowes and bought so Stay Dry kits and place them in the interiors of the cars which helps. They still need TLC even if you do not drive them. Good Luck and enjoy your Challenger.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline ec_co

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015 - 09:18:38 AM »
since it sounds like yours will be a driver too, my thoughts (because I've been thinking about the same thing) are to use a clear spray on protector for the most common areas that will get rock and gravel chips (front nose, lower valance, lower 6-10" and behind the rear wheels). something like the Plastidip in clear. easy to remove and reapply as needed and should keep the majority of nicks and little rock hits at bay. just a thought  http://www.amazon.com/Performix-11209-Multi-Purpose-Coating-Aerosol/dp/B000LNN11G
'70 Barracuda /6 3spd BH23C0E
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Offline marc70challenger

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015 - 02:05:11 PM »
Thanks for ideas and hints!    :thumbsup:
1965 Barracuda - "The Pumpkin"  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=116471.0

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015 - 02:20:54 PM »
The car looks great.  :thumbsup: If you can keep your car storage area between 40 and 50* in the winter it really keeps things in good shape and helps reduce/eliminate mold problems. Mine is stored at a friends shop on a concrete floor with in floor heating. I think without in floor heating that a fan running to keep air circulating would be a good idea.  :2cents:
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015 - 04:28:43 PM »
I honestly don't know how some the owners do it . . . . I think I just have to many things that need cleaned and not enough time . . . Never seem to get it all done . . .

Offline sadil340

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015 - 04:37:50 PM »
Having a lift really helps. I drive my car whenever I can and sometimes not in the best weather. I can always put it in the air and clean.

As far as mold goes, a dehumidifier will help a lot and will help keep unprotected metal from corroding.

The bottom line is, drive them don't worry about them getting dirty or damaged - elbow grease and a good repair shop will keep it looking like the day you got it.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline marc70challenger

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015 - 09:00:53 AM »
Thanks everyone!!!!!

And yes .. its made to be driven, **** will break ... then you fix it ...  :ylsuper:    :working:   Part of the fun!

Just anything I can do to keep those areas you really can't see or get to as good as along as possible   :bigshades:

Offline sadil340

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015 - 09:07:32 AM »
If it's metal corrosion you're worried about (or even surface rust) I would recommend Fluid Film. It's a parrafin based undercoating that doesn't damage paint and can be removed with a hot soapy spray from a power washer. I use it on my cars and several of my friends cars. If the car doesn't see winter I use it on unprotected lines like brake and fuel. You can buy it by the gallon with a sprayer or as a rattle can.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline marc70challenger

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015 - 09:22:41 AM »
If it's metal corrosion you're worried about (or even surface rust) I would recommend Fluid Film. It's a parrafin based undercoating that doesn't damage paint and can be removed with a hot soapy spray from a power washer. I use it on my cars and several of my friends cars. If the car doesn't see winter I use it on unprotected lines like brake and fuel. You can buy it by the gallon with a sprayer or as a rattle can.

Cool .... I am getting lift ... so before winter or whatnot I can just put light film on it ....  :2thumbs:   thanks mate!

Offline 74BlueFish

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015 - 10:15:11 AM »
At a minimum ,  you need what Cody has on page 18
 :roflsmiley:
Dan

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015 - 11:39:11 AM »
If it's metal corrosion you're worried about (or even surface rust) I would recommend moving to a warm dry place..... :bigsmile:
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015 - 07:44:08 AM »
I certainly do not have mold problems where I live so I just wash it, dry it, wax it, keep it in the garage when it's not in use.

I also no longer allow my father in the car since he does not seem to understand that a coffee will not remain on the dashboard while the car is in motion...
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2