Author Topic: Picked up the Cuda  (Read 9581 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Picked up the Cuda
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015 - 09:12:54 AM »
If your 74 has a slap stik but doesn't say it, then you've answered your own question. I was under the impression, that if they didn't "say it" then they didn't have it.....but as I said, I could be wrong....and most likely am.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline sdweatherman

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015 - 11:50:02 AM »
 Thanks anlauto for the assessment on the shifter. I was not sure if it was early E-body or late - but not having the slap stick wording on the indicator makes sense for a later car. I think the handle itself should be close.

WithoutRemorse - if you want to swap just handles, or want to sell the T-handle, just send me a PM.

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015 - 12:00:40 PM »
Thanks anlauto for the assessment on the shifter. I was not sure if it was early E-body or late - but not having the slap stick wording on the indicator makes sense for a later car. I think the handle itself should be close.
WithoutRemorse - if you want to swap just handles, or want to sell the T-handle, just send me a PM.

I have read that the very first round of production of the 1970 shifter did not have the wording on the window with the ball shaped shifter.  The 73-74 should have a "T" handle.  I believe you may have a very early production slap stick shifter.  This is a pic from a '70 Cuda that was ordered in the middle of '69 and delivered in November of '69.

Offline crocha617

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015 - 02:21:14 PM »
I have read that the very first round of production of the 1970 shifter did not have the wording on the window with the ball shaped shifter.  The 73-74 should have a "T" handle.  I believe you may have a very early production slap stick shifter.  This is a pic from a '70 Cuda that was ordered in the middle of '69 and delivered in November of '69.

I agree with you on the early production not having the lettering but I think Alan is right also. In 73 or 74 I think they went back to the 70 style shifter because the T handles were all breaking and were crap. I read it somewhere at some point and it may or may not be true.

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015 - 05:40:09 PM »
My 74 has a T handle but I have no way of knowing if it is original.
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015 - 07:40:32 AM »
Mine has the original BALL shifter on it. There is some debate as to weather or not some left overs were put on the first production e-bodies of 1974  - however this debate seems to arise with any early production car of every make and model. Mine is a late built Challenger and sports it's factory ball shifter.

I am not sure if it says slap shift or not.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline sdweatherman

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015 - 08:06:57 PM »
Quote from: crocha617
I agree with you on the early production not having the lettering but I think Alan is right also. In 73 or 74 I think they went back to the 70 style shifter because the T handles were all breaking and were crap. I read it somewhere at some point and it may or may not be true.
I have heard of the switch back to the ball shifter mid 74 run also. Things that make you go hmmm.....
Thanks again for all of the input. Scott.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015 - 12:37:09 AM »
Nice project and great story. Good luck!

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4