Author Topic: Battery died- going to gut it to keep the look  (Read 16148 times)

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
Battery died- going to gut it to keep the look
« on: February 23, 2015 - 07:18:13 PM »
Ok, call me crazy but like some others of us in here, I'm going to give it a shot. Turbo Start just recently stopped producing the classic batteries, and the only other producer is supposedly not very reliable, and a lot more $$, so I'm going to give it a shot. My turbo start just gave up after 4 years, but it still looks good, so Im going to try and resurrect it.
In fact, Ive already started, and its a MESSY job. I will have plenty of pictures, and as stated before, and on the other site, do it at your own risk, since we are dealing with acid, lead, and electricity.
Done hours of online research, and I think I will go with the Odyssey PC925, which is small enough to fit inside, and provide up to about 900 temporary cranking amps. Supposedly they will work with big blocks. Crossing my fingers on that one   :sly:
After already spending hours trying to cut and spoon out guts, and only having about maybe 20% of it out, I have decided it would be a lot easier to just cut the top off, but that would partly defeat the purpose. Been using a cut off wheel, and even a sawzall to help slice things up, but its very slow going.
Any suggestions to getting these glass mat/lead plates out more efficiently?
I'm being careful not to put too much pressure on the dividing walls, since they are connected to the side walls, and would hate to waste all my efforts so far.
Thanks
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
Re: Battery died- going to gut it to keep the look
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015 - 07:20:15 PM »
Bring it on.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015 - 07:26:14 PM »
Yeah, Im thinking its one of those jobs where you just gotta be patient and put the time in. I figure once I can dig out a big enough cavity, and can get my cordless cutoff tool down inside it will go quicker
At least thats the plan
BTW, if anyone's curious, its not very wet inside...just a bunch of moist fabric material...the glass mat stuff interlaced with the lead "plates" which are nothing more than thin sheets of lead with a wire mesh molded in to give it strength.
Even with a dead as a doornail battery, theres still lots of energy inside, so I'm getting the occasional small arching and smoke. Probably will be seeing that to the bitter end.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015 - 07:33:23 PM by tommyg29 »
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015 - 07:57:38 PM »
Sounds like fun !!
 Not !
 900 amps will be lots assuming your car starts easily & you wont be starting it @ - 30*

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015 - 08:11:46 PM »
Sounds like fun !!
 Not !
 900 amps will be lots assuming your car starts easily & you wont be starting it @ - 30*
I think its rated at about 330 CCA, and 900 for 5 seconds. Not sure what the CCA means exactly but does it have to do with cranking power at low temperatures?
If so, the coldest my car will ever see is maybe 40-50 degrees F. :poopoke:

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015 - 09:00:45 PM »
CCA = Cold Cranking Amps and 330 is really low.

I think its rated at about 330 CCA, and 900 for 5 seconds. Not sure what the CCA means exactly but does it have to do with cranking power at low temperatures?
If so, the coldest my car will ever see is maybe 40-50 degrees F. :poopoke:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015 - 09:19:10 PM »
CCA = Cold Cranking Amps and 330 is really low.
Yes it is, but I have read others are using it successfully with big blocks. I think the recommended minimum is 550 cca. The Odyssey website claims hot cranking amps (80degrees temp) of 900 amps for 5 seconds. CCA is apparently calculated at zero degrees F.
Anyone here have experience with the Odyssey PC925?
One of its big advantages is the size and weight. It will save well over 20 pounds. Not a big deal to me, but useful for some.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015 - 09:22:03 PM by tommyg29 »

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015 - 02:31:47 AM »
 :screwy: :popcorn: :bigsmile:

I modded a resto battery 16 years ago, I'm on my second Odyssey PC925,  the CCA has never been a problem, I have on occasion had connections inside the cover loosen & require roadside repairs... But thats something that could be avoided with regular maintenance.... But generally it's so trouble free that I forget about it till things work loose....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015 - 02:46:39 AM by 1 Wild R/T »
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline tman

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015 - 01:17:21 AM »
Someone has to have a step by step method of doing this.  Great idea.  I have one of the agm Mopar battery.  Guess when it goes, will have to make the conversion.  Thanks.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015 - 11:46:27 AM »
I just finished gutting it yesterday, at least the messiest part, and I will post pictures. And thanks Burdar for those. Thats exactly what the inside of mine looks like. I hope to have it all together and working by next weekend. Ordered the battery and custom #2 15" cables, so all I need to do is clean up the lead connectors up inside the top, and connect a couple stainless bolts up in there I can connect 3/8" cable ends to.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015 - 12:09:24 AM »
Got it installed and working today. Drove the cuda for the first time in two weeks. After ALL the work, probably spent a good 8 hours screwing with it, the very last connection I tried to make to the bottom of the "+" post I thought I had ruined it. When I tried tightening the nut/bolt, the lead lug just started splitting. You can see in the pictures that the positive terminal was a little corroded. I ended up just connecting it with about a 3/4" #12 pan head sheet metal screw drilled straight into the bottom of the post. Hopefully it holds, but the lead is soft so I need to figure out a way to solder it all together better.

Cut the bottom out and started digging in

Being careful not to put much stress on the side walls was not easy. Needed patience, and once I was able to pull and pry out a couple inches deep in the middle, I started working on the middle cell. Was able to grab the entire cell with a pair of vise grips, and worked on it a good 15 minutes and was able to pull the whole rest of the cell out, consisting of about 7-8 layers of lead and fabric. Once you get the first cell out, you have more room to work and grab and wiggle the other cells out, one at a time

This one shows the difference between a good layer and the blackened one that has a solid black film on it. Sulfate?

One of the 48 or so sheets of lead

The contents filled a 5 gallon bucket

I pried out all the lead connectors, except those under the posts.

And cleaned out, ready to bolt or screw on my 2g cables. I think 12" cables are plenty long enough.

The odyssey is less than half the size and cranked it right up. I think best recommended for warm weather cars though.

How I connected the two cables. First with a through bolt/nut and second with I think a #12 screw driven into a smaller pilot hole. I doubt it will last long.

And the battery slides perfect snug fit into the case. Plus I used some polishing compound and a buffer to shine the battery up. It was looking dull.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015 - 02:55:45 PM by tommyg29 »

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015 - 12:21:20 AM »
Anybody know of a good off the shelf product that will "solder" my connections together solid without having to apply heat. Afraid to use my torch in there with a rubber case.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015 - 03:54:37 AM »
Look at the screw in battery posts that you put on to a side post battery to hook up our type of clamps. They come with an integrated 3/8" bolt that you can bolt to from inside the case. Bolt a big fender washer inside the case then cable, lock washer, nut, to lock it down. Comes with a hex base but you can trim or file it down to hide the shape.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline tman

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015 - 05:14:51 AM »
Darn, the photos are not coming out for me.  Do you have a link to your Photobucket?