The Definitive 70 to 71 Cuda Conversion Thread

Author Topic: The Definitive 70 to 71 Cuda Conversion Thread  (Read 10698 times)

Offline turbo224

The Definitive 70 to 71 Cuda Conversion Thread
« on: February 27, 2015 - 05:02:03 PM »
After two years of work I am just finishing up the final touches on my 71 Cuda Tribute project. I started this project with a 70 Grand Coupe 318 car and decided I really wanted a 71. While doing research for this conversion I found at least 20 different threads on different sites started by people looking to do this conversion. The troubling part about all the existing threads is that they all end the same way. Someone asks about the specifics for this conversion but are quickly overwhelmed with replies about why they shouldn't do it. I want to clarify that this thread is meant to explain HOW to do the conversion and what is involved. It is NOT a thread meant to discuss IF the conversion is a good idea. It doesn't take a genius to know that starting with a 71 would be much easier than converting a 70 or 72-74, so please refrain from making such posts in this thread. I hope that anyone researching this topic in the future can use this thread to make an educated decision for themselves. 

I also want to point out that I am not claiming to be a Cuda expert, I'm far from it. I'm simply trying to outline what I have learned through research. I am sure my list is not compete, so please feel free to chime in if you notice a mistake i have made. I also wanted to note that converting a 70 is different than converting a 72-74. Because I started with a 70 I will not cover the specifics about converting a 72-74. I also should note that part numbers were not a huge priority for me as this is a clone, so all the changes I have made were to make my car LOOK like a 71 cosmetically. I am going to start with the list I have made of parts needed for the conversion. In the future I will be posting some more detailed pictures of the conversion to help people learn more about the specific pieces involved.

Exterior
-Grill Assembly http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mn2191.html
-71 Header Panel (72-74 will work)
-Grill Assembly Hardware Kit
-Hood Latch Release Lever
-Hood Latch Strike Plate (or drill existing plate)
-Forward Lighting Harness
-Front Valence
-Front Valence Insert
-Front Park Lights/Lenses
-Fender Mounted Turn Signal Indicators (If equiped)
-Headlight Buckets (4)
-Head Light Bucket Mounting Brackets (2)
https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/hm71set

-Headlight Bucket Mounting Bracket Backs (2)
http://restorationpartssource.com/store/headlight-1971-barracuda-fender-plate-set-bea_moreinfo.html

-Headlight Retaining Bezels (4)
-Headlights (4)
-Headlight Adjusters and Springs (4)
-Weld in Fender Gill Inserts (2)
-Gill Set
-Rocker Moulding
-Tail Lights
-Tail Light Bezels
-Ralley Wheel Center Caps (Dark Argent)
-Ralley Wheel Trim Rings (Chrome, not brushed)
-Relocate rear 'Cuda emblem (goes higher on 71) and add "By Plymouth" emblem
-Billboard decal (if applicable)

Interior
-Center Console (if equipped)
-Slap Stick Shifter Mechanism (auto only)
-Shifter T Handle
-Shifter Plate
-Seat Covers
-Dash Pad
-Steering Column (can modify existing)
-Gauge Assembly (Ralley Dash Only)
-Seat Belts
-Vent handles (?)
-Jack and Stand
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015 - 11:23:51 PM by turbo224 »
~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City

-1971 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk Tribute
-1992 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T

Offline turbo224

Re: The Definitive 70 to 71 Cuda Conversion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015 - 05:51:21 PM »
Here is the difference between the 71 header panel and 72-74 header panel. The dark blue panel on the right is the 71, note the slots in the square brackets underneath the panel are flipped 180 degrees. I ended up using a 72-74 header panel simply because I already had one, but I did not have to modify it. There are 5 upper screws that bolt the grill into the header panel. When using the 72-74 header panel, the center screw goes in as it should. Then there are four square plastic plugs in the 71 grill mounting kit (picture attached) that slides into the four slots which the screws screw into. What I found when installing the grill is the two screws to either side of the center screw work just fine as the square plastic plug slides into the middle of the slot and accepts the screws. The two outside plugs will not work as they needed to be slide to very outside of the slots. What I did was slide a washer and nut inside the panel and tightened the screw that way. There is room from the back side (engine compartment side) of the header panel to do this.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015 - 05:54:20 PM by turbo224 »

Offline turbo224

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015 - 06:10:56 PM »
I noticed a lot of questions about the differences in shifter and shifter plates. The 70 has a round shaft with a matching round hole in the shifter plate bezel. The 71 has a rectangular shaft. I had the correct shifter and T handle, but modified my bezel with a dremmel to accept the rectangular T handle.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015 - 07:16:07 PM »
Here's one you didn't list. The outboard seat belt retractor is not only different (70 is under the carpet) but the mounting locations are about three inches apart. The 71-74 location is further back. :2cents:

The gas tank vent system is completely different as well. :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Pimtao

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015 - 10:38:01 PM »
What's the diffrence with the ralley gauges? I thought 70-71 were the same :clueless:

Offline turbo224

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015 - 11:21:30 PM »
Here's one you didn't list. The outboard seat belt retractor is not only different (70 is under the carpet) but the mounting locations are about three inches apart. The 71-74 location is further back. :2cents:

The gas tank vent system is completely different as well. :drunk:

I'm glad you posted that, Alan. I did not know about the retractor differences. I probably should have picked your brain before starting this thread as I'm sure you're a much better resource on the topic than I could ever be.  :2thumbs: The gas tank vent system IS different in the trunk as well as under the hood. I did not opt to make those changes when I put my car back together, but I will snap some pictures on my brothers 71 to show the differences.

Offline AARTA340

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015 - 12:14:33 AM »
What's the diffrence with the ralley gauges? I thought 70-71 were the same :clueless:

That is my take as well. 70 and 71 are the same unless there is another gremlin out there I am not aware of.  :dunno:

Offline turbo224

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015 - 12:37:19 AM »
Looks like I got my years confused. There are two types of ralley gauges. 70-71 and 72-74.

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015 - 05:26:59 PM »
Is this cosmetic only or are you chasing mechanical details?  Things like a completely different parking brake including the pedal assy, all the cables, the body mounts cause in 70 everything ran down the L side of the car & in 71 the cable split up front & ran down both sides...
70 Rally Dash vs 71 Rally Dash the wood grain is different...

If you want a very complete list search Moparts for Domingo's 70-71 Challenger conversion thread.... It got very in-depth...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015 - 07:17:15 PM »
dash trim pieces and radio bezel I think are 70 specific

Offline Pimtao

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015 - 08:19:39 PM »
dash trim pieces and radio bezel I think are 70 specific

Dash trim pieces were only 70 challenger. Cuda were all the same as far as I know.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015 - 08:43:09 PM »
No my 70 was differnt. the edge had it's own specific pattern

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015 - 08:50:52 PM »
One thing i discovered is that the rear quarter glass assembly for 1970 is different that 71-74. The stainless trim is wider on the interior face, and the attachments are screwed on, versus rivets for later model years.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015 - 10:40:47 PM »
One thing i discovered is that the rear quarter glass assembly for 1970 is different that 71-74. The stainless trim is wider on the interior face, and the attachments are screwed on, versus rivets for later model years.

the weather strip is different too.

70' was a cat whisker type.
71' was a rubber slide in seal.

Neither are similiar.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015 - 11:05:42 PM »

Dash grain changed in 71'

this is from Performance Car Graphics

E-body rallye instrument panel “American Walnut” concours-quality wood plates!
 These are the tan/brown bezels used on approximately 95% of 1970-71 models through mid-February 1971. The remainder of cars used “Kashmir Walnut”, which is the red/brown with pronounced horizontal straight-grain. Those plates will be made if enough interest is received from potential buyers.
 A total of 13 versions of E-body wood were originally introduced.
Mike, Fremont, CA.