Author Topic: TODAY'S LESSON - - - UPDATED  (Read 14821 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: TODAY'S LESSON - - - Hide & Seek
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015 - 01:14:35 PM »
Wait to you see the mess my next project, 71 V code Cuda is in.....and it "looked" nice before the media blasting too :scared:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015 - 01:37:59 PM »

Did the media blast make the car disappear?

:smilielol:
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline Falbz

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015 - 03:25:19 PM »
Ugh oh - can't wait to see this  :popcorn:

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015 - 03:27:12 PM »
                           :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015 - 10:45:13 PM »
Wait to you see the mess my next project, 71 V code Cuda is in.....and it "looked" nice before the media blasting too :scared:
Is that the Plumb Crazy one you and I looked @ Alan? The 100k one with the overlaid 1/4's?  :eek4:

Offline glovemeister

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015 - 10:48:57 PM »
Can't wait to see it. I'm a firm believer on going to metal after seeing what my car looks like.
1971 Challenger RT

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015 - 10:53:27 PM »
Plastic filler (AKA Bondo) can hide a lot of sins. 

Way to stick to your guns Alan.  Anyone who spends the money on a "full" restoration...deserves to have it done right.  :2thumbs:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline marc70challenger

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015 - 11:44:32 PM »

I just told my kids not to count on an inheritance, they can fight over the Cuda when I'm gone. :roflsmiley:

That's what I tell our kids (but its the Challenger and Lingenfelter Vette) ... and my wife says they can go to Vegas and try to win it back ....  :roflsmiley:

Thanks for insight Alan ...  :thumbsup:

What I've learn first-hand already in less than 2 months ownership .. and spending quality time here ... you better love working on the car if you want it right .... and understand the concept of doing it right the first time (or at least when you finally get to it ...  :smilielol:  ) ... is that redundant ....  :lol: ....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015 - 11:48:43 PM by marc70challenger »
1970 Challenger 340 Performance Package
1965 Barracuda - "The Pumpkin"  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=116471.0

Offline rhamson

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015 - 04:36:32 PM »
Okay class.....

For years I've been preaching on these boards and to every one of my customers is that the ONLY way to restore a car completely is to strip the car 100% and media blast the shell to find out exactly what's hiding.

About six months ago, maybe more, I had a potential customer on the phone wanting me to restore his 1970 Cuda. When I started talking about the cost of stripping the body and media blasting etc....he stopped me right there and said that the body was real real nice and would most likely get away with just a "scuff and paint"... :grinyes:

I told him that I would not take the job if that's all he was interested in doing....I guess my persistence paid off because late last year he gave me the go ahead to do it my way....

Here's what I started with:  Nice looking car....just as he bought it....perfect body and all :naughty:
I agree 100%. I came upon a traded car that was supposedly ready to be cut and polished. It was an Arizona car but I noticed it had a bubble here and there. I knew I was in for a new paint job at the least. When I uncovered the paint to metal I found filler directly over Swiss cheese rusted through metal and rust that was never removed under paint. I can't imagine how p!$$ed I would have been had I just resumed the build. I now have all the body rust issues either POR15'ed or epoxy primed on a rotisserie. As soon as I can get her on her wheels I will feel a lot better that I went to the trouble.   :iagree:

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015 - 11:51:01 PM »
Oe of the big reasons I hate to buy a "done" car in spite of knowing it'll cost more to do a car rather than buy a "done" car...  Also why if you can find one a original paint car that isn't nice enough to keep as a "survivor" makes an excellent candidate for a resto project...  Nothing is hiding... It's getting allot harder to find those kind of projects...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline marc70challenger

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015 - 09:40:52 PM »
Oe of the big reasons I hate to buy a "done" car in spite of knowing it'll cost more to do a car rather than buy a "done" car...  Also why if you can find one a original paint car that isn't nice enough to keep as a "survivor" makes an excellent candidate for a resto project...  Nothing is hiding... It's getting allot harder to find those kind of projects...

Impressive ...  :worshippy
1970 Challenger 340 Performance Package
1965 Barracuda - "The Pumpkin"  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=116471.0

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015 - 10:09:50 PM »
I'm in the business of restoring cars so I guess it's pretty redundant for me to argue the case of buying a restored car vs a project car....but if you've seen some of the things I've seen over the past 30 years, there would  probably be no way you would ever buy a done car :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline 1ownr

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015 - 10:31:23 PM »
Also why if you can find one a original paint car that isn't nice enough to keep as a "survivor" makes an excellent candidate for a resto project...  Nothing is hiding... It's getting allot harder to find those kind of projects...

Alan - do you know where to find one of those to restore?      :naughty:

judy

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015 - 10:32:42 PM »
Impressive ...  :worshippy

Thanks! It took a year of my life, working 40+ hours on my day job then another 4-6 hours every night of the week plus 8-12 hours every Saturday & Sunday... Also I sold a very nice done car to offset the cost of doing this car.....   Had it done for about two weeks before I drove it to Vegas.... 503 miles from my driveway to the entrance of Circus Circus... Came home with a couple trophies & a magazine feature.... Since then I've driven it over 75K miles...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015 - 01:07:08 PM »
Alan - do you know where to find one of those to restore?      :naughty:

judy

Ohhh...you're such a tease ... :-* :smilielol: