Author Topic: TODAY'S LESSON - - - UPDATED  (Read 14834 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
TODAY'S LESSON - - - UPDATED
« on: March 03, 2015 - 01:15:48 PM »
Okay class.....

For years I've been preaching on these boards and to every one of my customers is that the ONLY way to restore a car completely is to strip the car 100% and media blast the shell to find out exactly what's hiding.

About six months ago, maybe more, I had a potential customer on the phone wanting me to restore his 1970 Cuda. When I started talking about the cost of stripping the body and media blasting etc....he stopped me right there and said that the body was real real nice and would most likely get away with just a "scuff and paint"... :grinyes:

I told him that I would not take the job if that's all he was interested in doing....I guess my persistence paid off because late last year he gave me the go ahead to do it my way....

Here's what I started with:  Nice looking car....just as he bought it....perfect body and all :naughty:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015 - 09:33:06 PM by anlauto »
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
Re: TODAY'S LESSON - - - Hide & Seek
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015 - 01:18:53 PM »
So here's what I found under that real nice paint after proper media blasting.... :scared:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015 - 01:21:29 PM »
That's just some of the patches I found welded directly ON TOP of the rusty metal. There are nine separate patches alone in the engine compartment :22yikes:, another half a dozen more in the quarters.....

This my friends is why you should listen to me ! :blah: :drunk:

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015 - 01:29:06 PM »
Now I'm REALLY scared about what I'll find when I get to the body and paint part of my 'rolling restoration'  :faint:
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015 - 01:45:40 PM »
Some of those patches look pretty obvious, could you see any of them prior to media blasting?

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015 - 02:04:55 PM »

It's doing it the right way, not specifically listening to you Alan  :lol:

Scuff and paint would have really fun for that guy when the paint started bubbling up and you would have to explain why.

:horse:
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015 - 03:07:17 PM »
Some of those patches look pretty obvious, could you see any of them prior to media blasting?

That's the thing...The bondo work on top of the patches was done good enough that you couldn't tell, at least on the rear quarters....I knew going in I wanted to replace the inner aprons...

Offline mud man

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015 - 01:00:09 AM »
Way to stick to your guns! We do media blasting and it is amazing what shows up when you get them  to their birthday suits. A friend paints hot rods for a living and lives by the same motto. Strip em  or go somewhere else. No other way to stand behind your work.

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015 - 07:06:12 AM »
Now I'm REALLY scared about what I'll find when I get to the body and paint part of my 'rolling restoration'  :faint:

Me too! I know I have some patches, but I'm leaving the body for now, it's not a rust bucket, I can drive it. One day I will strip it completely and do it the right way though. When I have a bigger garage, more money, and can weld better.
Very cool Alan!
/ Ken
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=102525.0
topic=108917.new#new

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015 - 10:10:39 AM »
and can weld better.
Looks like the guy who welded on those patches needed more practice himself. Barely more than 'tacked' in place. :sly:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015 - 01:26:00 PM »
That's what so funny...Look at the one on the trunk lid...there's an open gap between the patch and the rusty metal....How long do you think that would last :screwy:

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015 - 01:26:51 PM »

Guess the guy used this as a leaning tool....
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline RCCDrew

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015 - 02:20:43 PM »
I'm scared to see what under my car's paint. I know there's been lots of work done...

Offline TelisSE440

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015 - 02:36:54 PM »
I'm scared to see what under my car's paint. I know there's been lots of work done...

:iagree: Me too, although I have the floors and the interior stripped and there was no problem, I left the exterior paint intact. Who knows what's hiding under there.

Offline AAR6BBL

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015 - 01:11:17 PM »
Wow!
And I guess this is why anyone of us who digs into one of our beloved E- Bodies should never worry about the budget.
I know I blew through my target 2 days into the strip down, and haven't even got it blasted yet!
Not for the faint of heart, but if you worry about it you will never achieve your goal.
I just told my kids not to count on an inheritance, they can fight over the Cuda when I'm gone. :roflsmiley:
"There's no such thing as putting a '70 AAR 'Cuda exactly where you want it. The 'Cuda isn't interested in such things, for they require finesse. Finesse asked the 'Cuda out to dinner once, but the 'Cuda stood it up to go drink beer under an overpass with her hot little sister. As far as this car is concerned, finesse can go stuff itself."