Rattling pistol grip

Author Topic: Rattling pistol grip  (Read 997 times)

Offline yellow340

Rattling pistol grip
« on: May 11, 2005 - 09:59:55 PM »
While driving my pistol grip will rattle and it's driving me up the wall.   If I rest my hand on top of the shifter (I know, don't do that) it doesn't rattle.   Any ideas on how to fix this?

Also has anyone seen one of these wood grips http://www.pistolgrip727.com/ShifterGrips.html?  I would think wood would feel better in your hand then plastic.

Offline camjam

• Rare-it-T
Re: Rattling pistol grip
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005 - 11:31:00 PM »
Mine did the same thing.
When I was restoring my car I had to get the chrome piece that holds the shift position indicator rechromed. After I removed the shift indicator I found the top of the shifter arm has a square piece that fits through the chrome trim piece ( not too technical here). That square piece is burred or hammered down to hold the trim piece in place. Over time with shifting it does not hold as well.
Two solutions: The none technical and I did this until the restoration, was to put a piece of thin cardboard between the woodgrain handle and the trim piece. This tightened it up for a while. When I restored the trim piece I simply hammered the square piece onto the chrome trim tighter. This eliminated the rattling.
71 Challenger R/T 383 4spd - 1 of 10 known to have been built for canada - restored
70 Charger R/T SE 440 auto - restored

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
Re: Rattling pistol grip
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005 - 05:45:25 AM »
I have a set ( or 2 ) of the wood grips.  The ones I got have shrunk a little (only a little) over the years since they were made.  The top to bottom dimension has not changed, so that fits perfectly.  Compared to the plastic ones, there is a tiny bit more chrome showing around the edges. I personally like that  :grinyes:  As to the feel, they are more comfortable for me and the little extra bit of metal that shows from the shrinkage isn't feelable ( is that a word ? ).

P.G.   :burnout:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005 - 05:50:12 AM by Pistol Gripper »
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica