Crazy pistol grip question

Author Topic: Crazy pistol grip question  (Read 1532 times)

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
Crazy pistol grip question
« on: May 12, 2005 - 08:01:02 AM »
As most of you know, last summer I replaced the clutch and serviced the flywheel in my car.
When putting her back together, I purchsed new nylon bushings and clips to hold the shift levers ( the arms that come off the shifter and hook to the trans and pick the gears ).

My problem seems to be, occasiionaly it seems to get stuck in "limbo", most noteably if I'm sitting at a light and need to go to 1st gear, and sometimes 1st gets stuck going into second.

Now, I've owned the car for a number of years, and has always shifted well, so I'm counting out the actual "box" ( I don't know what to call it ) that the pistol grip ties into that you select the gear.
Do I need to just adjust the shifter "arms" or maybe grease those nylon bushings? Greasing them doesn't sound right, I'm just looking for some input. It doesn't seem to do it all the time, just enough to cause some grief.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
Re: Crazy pistol grip question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005 - 10:10:50 AM »
Well.....

First thing I'd do is look at how the rods are adjusted.  This is a Chebbie article, but the idea is the same.

http://chevyhiperformance.com/howto/97440/

The part I think applies to you is:   

The shifter must rest in the Neutral position during this adjustment. Hurst supplies a 0.250-inch-thick plastic pin to hold the shifter in Neutral. If you don’t have one of these tools, try a 1/4-inch drill bit or make your own 1/4-inch steel rod (arrow). With the shifter in Neutral and the shift-rod ends adjusted, the shift-rod ends can be threaded until they slide easily into the shifter. It is best to start with the Reverse rod and work outward. Be sure to work carefully as this will determine how well your shifter works.

Hope this cures some of your hang-ups.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005 - 10:13:56 AM »
From Hurst's site:

Q) What is the proper way to adjust my Hurst four speed shifter?
A) There is a 1/4 inch hole at the bottom of the Hurst mechanism that runs through all three levers. This is called the neutral alignment hole. To ensure proper adjustment, run the shifter from first into second and then back to neutral. Insert the neutral alignment pin (or a 1/4 inch drill bit) into the neutral alignment hole. If the 1-2 lever interferes with the smooth insertion of the alignment pin, remove the 1-2 linkage rod from the shifter and thread the adjuster button either in or out to eliminate the interference. Repeat this procedure with the 3-4 lever and reverse. To adjust the stop bolts, back the bolts out of the shifter frame until only a few threads remain. Push the stick firmly into third gear and hold. Screw in the stop bolt until contact is made. Release the stick and back the stop bolt out one turn and tighten the jamnut. Push the stick into fourth gear and repeat the procedure.

or

Q) My shifter jams or hangs up in gear. What is the problem?
A) First, check to see if the linkage rods are encountering any interference. With the engine off and the parking brake engaged, have a friend operate the shifter and observe the linkage rods to see that the rods operate freely. Second, check to see if the transmission arms have become elongated (wallowed out). This may cause incomplete travel. Be sure that the linkage rods are parallel to the shifter lever's travel. If they are "crooked" it may cause binding. Finally, the mechanism may be in need of a rebuild. Although made for years of outstanding performance, the shifter may require a rebuild after several years of use or severe duty. See the rebuild information below should you require this service. All Hurst shifters (with the exception of "Indy" shifters) carry a limited lifetime warranty for the original owner of the shifter. Save your receipt!

Good luck,

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005 - 10:30:36 AM »
Good stuff there PG, thanks!

Where you been, haven't heard from you in a while?
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005 - 06:20:19 PM »
Good stuff there PG, thanks!

Where you been, haven't heard from you in a while?
Yeah, where you at....ally may.   :laughing: ;)
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005 - 05:33:40 AM »
I'm still lurking around.  I have "Al Bundy" syndrome.  (Married with Children)  Just a bit busy is all.  I hope to get a bit more done now that decent weather is here.  :thumbs:

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica