Author Topic: Slimey Pachy. (just finished the last one...)  (Read 14596 times)

Offline TB3NVCUDA

Re: Slimey Pachy. (just finished the last one...)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015 - 12:03:18 AM »
You work fast! Thats a beautiful Challenger that looks awesome parked next to the orange one!

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015 - 12:43:53 AM »
Ha! Yes my garage is awesome right now. If I have two cars at once I like them to be different but my favorite cars are 70 Challengers and 71 B-bodies. So it's a real joy to go out there and see the two Challengers.  I'm okay with the subframe connectors under there as I may drive it a bit hard. I take it relatively easy with the orange car because it is primered and no connectors. It's great fun to drive though and I like throwing it through the corners a bit with the heavy t-bars and big sway bars.
Took the 959 rad down for a high efficiency recore and ordered a new driveshaft with 1350 U-joints today. The only big ticket stuff left to buy is the shaker bonnet, grilles, baseplate and adapter ring. If I find that stuff before spring it will be okay, I'm real picky on the bonnet and hope I can find a Chrysler one, the other stuff is a phonecall away for repro when I can afford it.

Sheldon

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015 - 11:26:11 PM »
Got the front suspension in, waiting for parts from 10 different places now. This ones going much faster than I had planned on, I was going to assemble it over the winter, I highly doubt it won't be complete before fall. It gets pretty hot here in the summer though so I won't be hitting it as hard.

Sheldon

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015 - 05:50:18 PM »
Been doing some ugly, boring stuff. Cleaned up and refreshed the pedals, e-brake assy, heater and vent, Tidied up the PS/Alt, fan setup. Got the rad recored to a 4 core high efficiency, had a 1350 driveshaft made up, rebuilt the dash assy. Am waiting for the fuel and brake body lines and then I can pull out the too-highly arched rear springs and put another set in to bring the rear down to stock height.
Today I'm starting on the wiring, actually something I enjoy but you have to be in the right frame of mind to do it. It's 35 and hotter here so believe it or not this is a nice project to do in this weather to keep out of the heat. Happily I have some SE bits so that's better than making them from scratch and I have 3 dash harnesses so I should have enough correct plugs etc. to make a really nice harness.

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015 - 05:20:29 PM »
A bit of a frustrating weekend. Body fuel and brake lines came in so I hung those in the car (thought I had fuel line clips and didn't order any, grr.), installed the rear brakes because the e brake cables came in as well. Did some other stuff then hung the TTI exhaust today. I dunno my orange car has a cutdown system that was for a B-body and I like it better. Worst flaw with the TTI is the exhaust tips are way low. It's just bugging me too much so I'll be cutting their mounting tabs off and making some myself that pull them up tighter. I had to chop into the lovely subframe connectors as well to pass the E-brake cable thgough, so that needs a respray when I get some paint mixed up. I guess it's progress but it doesn't necessarily feel like progress.

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015 - 09:41:59 PM »
Haven't had a lot of time to spend on the R/T SE but some progress has been made. I never have liked the SE rear window but I'm stuck with it. I made two tries the factory way to fill it in but was unhappy both times with the foam to sheetmetal match  so I'm smoothing it out with bondo instead. I hope to be pulling the vinyl down on Monday and then I can carry on with installing the rest of the parts. Column is ready to go in, dash is ready etc. I still have to work the valvecovers but other than that i think it's all nuts and bolts.

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015 - 11:00:52 PM »
Some progress but most of it feels in the wrong direction. Sprayed the shaker bubble with some metalflake argent and cleared it. Happy with the window opening now but still have to pull the vinyl and clean the roof and glue down the new vinyl, Filled two holes in the A/C lid and at noon today I figured I had the valvecovers well along. Of course after lunch I started to weld in the 70 style filler cap opening and breather bulge in the 69 cover. Well that was just a frustrating exercise and I'll finish it up next week. I guess some progress is better than none though. I'll be happy when I get back to bolting stuff on again.

Sheldon
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015 - 11:03:46 PM by rUNCHARGER »

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015 - 01:54:59 PM »
Looks like someone used a Hemi air cleaner lid on a Sixpack...  :screwy: Sixpack lids are easy to find, Hemi.. Not so much.....   Nice progress & I hear ya on the trying to avoid allot of repo parts & body shops... Two things that suck about our hobby..  Some Repo stuff is great but way to much is inferior crap..
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015 - 02:08:01 PM »
Looks like someone used a Hemi air cleaner lid on a Sixpack...  :screwy: Sixpack lids are easy to find, Hemi.. Not so much.....   Nice progress & I hear ya on the trying to avoid allot of repo parts & body shops... Two things that suck about our hobby..  Some Repo stuff is great but way to much is inferior crap..

:iagree: Really have to know who made the Repo before you buy it.   :2thumbs:

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015 - 11:13:04 PM »
Yup: I'm a bit silly I guess. I could have found a better lid and I could have bought a repo but I just have to save this one because it's a real Chrysler made piece and I don't want to throw it away. I still have to hammer and dolly it and I'll probably have about 3 hours in it when done. That part is fun for me though.
I could have bought repo valvecovers too. But the chrome one was an old Hustle Stuff piece for fueler engines and it only took an hour to fill the fueler breather holes and metal finish it and the 69 was a real chrysler piece as well. Unfortunately someone had already ground on the 69 piece so it was thin before I welded the oilcap flange to it so I blew through everywhere and still have a few hours to go on it. It's all fun though, I'm looking forward to getting back on them tomorrow and finishing them up.

Sheldon

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015 - 08:48:49 PM »
Well that went pretty good today. I didn't expect to paint them but I had half a can of wrinkle so I thought I'd see if they needed more work or not and actually didn't expect the paint to wrinkle as it was only 20 degrees today. I think they're good to go. Now onto bolting the other engine room stuff in, which should be all fun and fast.

Sheldon

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015 - 01:08:05 PM »
Not much to report or anything to show for probably 40 hours work since last report. Although the shifter is in and setup, clutch linkage is in and setup, fluids in the trans and diff, more hours spent on the SE tail panel than I care to admit. Plug wires don't look stock at all but they really work and are staying for the time being.

Offline mofish

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015 - 10:19:50 PM »
You do great work Sheldon. I love this car!   :droolingbounce:

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015 - 02:04:32 PM »
Thanks, I go back and redo a few things when they bug me too much. It takes about 5 times longer to do stuff than it should.
Right now the vinyl top has me stalled, I tried 3 pulls but wasn't happy with any of them. I can't find anyone that does them anymore so I'm going to give it another go myself.

Sheldon

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015 - 08:33:53 PM »
It's a month later and I'm still held up waiting for the vinyl roof install. I have finished up the wiring, engine is ready to refire, Wiper motor came from Stephan (absolutely artwork) so it's installed along with the wiper linkage.
I had an offer on the car today for what I have into it so I'll have to think on it for a bit. I really want to complete it and it won't take much effort but I suppose I don't need two Hemified Challengers..

Sheldon