Author Topic: A new quarter  (Read 5590 times)

Offline 98hd

Re: A new quarter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005 - 08:15:15 AM »
I believe that the skins are all from the same supplier, so it doesn't matter where you get them.

Latest rumor is that Goodmark may scrap production of the full quarters due to low demand!

really?  I just got a reply from them this week and they said the 72-74 quarters should be available in oct.-nov. of this year.
'72 barracuda....starting the restification!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005 - 09:42:10 PM »
I believe that the skins are all from the same supplier, so it doesn't matter where you get them.

Latest rumor is that Goodmark may scrap production of the full quarters due to low demand!

OMG, I hope your wrong on this rumor. I'm counting on them.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005 - 06:51:39 AM »
I picked up the rumor from a guy on Moparts who was looking to do the full quarters. He said that Goodmark wasn't happy with sales of the Challenger quarters and was thinking of not pursuing the 'cuda quarters.

Hmmmmm....we'll see.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005 - 12:37:21 AM »
Has anyone heard if they are still going to do the full quarters?

I could use a set!

I picked up the rumor from a guy on Moparts who was looking to do the full quarters. He said that Goodmark wasn't happy with sales of the Challenger quarters and was thinking of not pursuing the 'cuda quarters.

Hmmmmm....we'll see.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005 - 01:34:05 AM »
I imagine that we can get the answer at Carlisle once and for all. That will be a priority for me also.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007 - 04:34:27 PM »
Tomorrow, I will go to the store and buy some batteries for the darned camera and post some pic's of the miss-match between the Year one rear quarter skins and the rear valance issue! Hopefully someone else has had this issue and cn tell me how they rectified the problem ( without using a carbon arc gouging machine ! ! !  :roflsmiley: )
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007 - 08:30:26 PM »
VPOINT...any pics yet?  :dunno:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007 - 02:12:44 PM »
In general, you want to be careful doing your oiwn work if you never have. You need to know a little about a lot. Like, how the various parts fit together, where the real factory seams are (if you dont know), how to cut without distorting, how to weld without distorting (and BTW, never "quench" or use water on a weld...you are sure to deform all kinds of things that way not to mention introducing water to fresh sheet metal....), and what parts will also need replacing before you start. Then there's finishing the welds (grinding heats almost as fast as welding), and plastic filler isnt the best for seams. Fiberglass or All Metal should be used on weld seams, then typical soft fillers. I dont like to replace more than what's needed. On some cars, thats small areas. On others, your "1/4 replacement" turns into 1/4, wheelhouse, trunk extension, trunk drip rails (not repro'd), filler panel and/or tail panel, and rocker patching.It's not cut and dry, and as you are finding, most shops wont touch it unless you do it at least as well as they can, if not better.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007 - 03:37:35 PM »
I've been using the grinder as a way to cut back the knob heads of the welds. I've been alternating when it begins to get hot.  On the butt welds, I have been using air as fast as possible to cool the area down right afterwards. So far, it doesn't look like any warpage done. The quarter skin is still whole and in very good shape. It's all the connecting areas that are messed up. I haven't done any dedicated welds to the body yet until I can trial fit it all together before the final weld dedication. Thanks on the tips about the fillers. again, I will keep an eye on the heat factor. My mig is turned down as far as it can go yet still do a good bead. I've improved my style since I first started. it would be great to have a "pro" come over and show me some real way to do it though.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007 - 04:34:25 PM »
You guys got some good info, but...

:useless:

I want to see some pics, all this talking makes me want to do mine myself, and we have a MIG welder.   :icon16:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007 - 05:49:54 PM »
The first pic is when I did my very first mig welding.
The second is right after I got it off. (2 weeks ago)
The 3rd is showing how he brazed the wheel well lip to the body
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007 - 06:06:42 PM »
Hey TC, I'm sure you thought of this, but while all that inner metal is accessable it's a good time for rust coating, I know I'll get some groans, but I'm an amature, I used clear por15 & then just wire wheeled all the weld points & then after the welding & grinding I hit it with a coat a black por15.  Rich.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007 - 06:21:49 PM »
 :iagree:

I totally agree with you on that. I can't make up my mind. Rust Bullet? or POR 15? What better?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007 - 06:32:05 PM »
I think I (or at least my car) might be up for por15 poster child, I used a lot of it. Can't speak for the others not having used any, but I've heard good things about the east wood products also, por is touchy(& messy) but i like it. the only part I sprayed was the chassis, everything else I brushed on, if you stay with it(drippy stuff & takes forever to dry) you can't tell the difference, lays out nice. Rich.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007 - 06:42:26 PM »
Take a look at ZERO Rust, it comes in a mopar grey primer look.

www.restorick.com

Lunch
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007 - 11:26:56 PM by Lunchbox »