Author Topic: Father's Day present...new truck  (Read 3715 times)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Father's Day present...new truck
« on: June 20, 2015 - 10:51:58 PM »
The wife and I went truck shopping today.  We only had to go a few miles out of town to find the right one for us.  It's a 14 Hemi Ram 1500.  Someone bought it, put 4400 miles on it, and traded it in on a Ram 2500 diesel.  So, basically it's a brand new truck.  Now I need to look for a nice car trailer so I can get the Challenger out to Carlisle or the Nats sometime.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015 - 10:57:30 AM by burdar »

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
Re: Father's Day present
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015 - 11:38:37 PM »
Very nice

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015 - 12:48:38 AM »
Love it.   :2thumbs:

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015 - 07:36:35 AM »
COOL   :ylsuper:

Offline TheShadowMan1

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015 - 09:27:52 AM »
COOL RIDE in the right color too!!
Standing on The Edge of The Obyss

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015 - 09:33:00 AM »
"Luke I am your father" in my best Darth Vader voice .....  :lol:  nice looking truck!  :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015 - 11:39:58 AM »
Good idea Brad. I could get some Darth Vader stickers for it. Lol Years ago I bought some small vinyl Mopar decals. I can't find them right now though. I'm thinking about maybe adding some matte black hood decals. I'll have to see if ChallengerGary makes anything.

The color is a true black...not that ugly pearl black. I'll have to get some running boards for it. It's pretty tall. Some type of tonneau cover would also be nice. I'll have to look for used ones on Craigslist. When I was hauling Dart sheet metal home from the Nats last year, my dads Dakota got an extra 1.5mpg. I had the parts stacked so they were flush with the box sides. A tonneau would really help mpg I think.

Offline Mopar Thunder

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015 - 03:59:32 PM »
That is a really nice looking truck.  Good luck with it.  :cheers:

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015 - 06:01:36 PM »
Does anyone know anything about aftermarket air bag systems for towing? The air bags on the truck aren't factory. I have no idea what brand they are. The only thing I found online says they need a minimum of 5psi so they don't get damaged by the coils. Then it said max psi is 35. I guess you add air to them before you load the truck.

Do the bags really help?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015 - 07:56:51 PM by burdar »

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015 - 07:32:07 PM »
BAD TO THE BONE   :bigshades:
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Father's Day present...new truck
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015 - 11:45:26 AM »
Here are a few more pics of the truck.  A week after I bought it, I put some Mopar running boards on it.  A good friend of mine works at a dealership and gave me his discount.  I was surprised how easy the install was.  All the mounting holes were already on the truck.(no drilling)  I just had to install a dozen nutserts in the holes and bolt on the steps.  I've always liked the lowered look.  I think the running boards visually lower the truck.

The "Black Express" package deletes all the side badging which I like.  I still wanted some sort of Hemi designation though.  I ended up putting these matte black stickers on the hood.  You can't see them unless the light hits them just right.

Finally, I had a small matte black Mopar sticker sitting in a box for 10 years with nothing to put it on.  I thought it would look good on the Ram so I put it in the back window.  I didn't want to see it through the rear view mirror so I placed it low on the glass.  The center headrest on the back seat completely blocks the logo from view.  I was really close to installing some matte black Dodge hash stripes on the front fenders but changed my mind.  My friend Paul came up with a better idea.  If I end up doing that, I'll post some pictures.

We got 25.7mpg on the way out to Carlisle with the truck.  Total mileage for the weekend was 24.4 with in town driving.  How can you be upset with that?  So far I have two complaints.  The first complaint is that the exhaust is too quiet.  I'd like to here the engine. Cat back systems are ridiculously priced though.  The second complaint is  the iDFSO system.(Interactive Decel Fuel Shut-Off)  When ever you let off the gas, it feels like there is engine braking.  I thought it was the 8-speed trans but I read that it's the iDFSO system kicking in.  It will just take some getting used to. 

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
Re: Father's Day present...new truck
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015 - 12:17:14 PM »
Beauty!  Love the black on black lettering, and Mopar in the rear window.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015 - 03:19:18 PM »
Does anyone know anything about aftermarket air bag systems for towing? The air bags on the truck aren't factory. I have no idea what brand they are. The only thing I found online says they need a minimum of 5psi so they don't get damaged by the coils. Then it said max psi is 35. I guess you add air to them before you load the truck.

Do the bags really help?
I don't have personal experience, but a friend of mine has a '08 hemi 1500 and he says he puts in 30 psi and the truck doesn't squat down and drives better when towing his travel trailer.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015 - 03:24:11 PM »
The color is a true black...not that ugly pearl black. I'll have to get some running boards for it. It's pretty tall.

I bought these in black recently for my Ram 3500. I like them, though I did have to drill one hole on each side for mounting.
http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/raptor-series-4-inch-oe-style-oval-nerf-bars
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline ToxicWolf

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015 - 03:27:10 PM »

Do the bags really help?

I don't have airbags in my CK2500, but i put 90psi in my back tires when towing 6,000 lbs of loader on a trailor. That's actually what the book says to use that came with it. Also says 50psi for front tires when pulling a heavy load.  :dunno: