Author Topic: Rear main seal leak fixed !! (so far)  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Racer57

Rear main seal leak fixed !! (so far)
« on: June 22, 2015 - 04:53:33 PM »
I've had a 383 rear main leaking for the last few years and finally had enough.  :stomp: I took the car to a local shop that's very reputable. They always get their parts/gaskets from Car Quest. When they saw the seal they said it was no different than what was in it and that the lip just barely stuck up out of the groove. They did some searching and used this..
 http://www.fastfishautoparts.com/Performance-Engine-Seals.html  They said it was a lot beefier than any they had seen.       So far it seems to be working.  :woo:

Anyone familiar with it ?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015 - 05:00:09 PM by Racer57 »

Offline Racer57

Re: Rear main seal leak fixed !! (so far)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015 - 08:46:42 AM »
No one has heard of the company ?   :eek7:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015 - 08:52:02 AM »
never seen that before , my fear is that the cut would have to be very smooth & even or the one mating surface could leak worse , otherwise it seems like a decent way to fix the rear seal

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015 - 09:38:36 AM »

Offline tman

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015 - 10:04:31 AM »
I've had a 383 rear main leaking for the last few years and finally had enough.  :stomp: I took the car to a local shop that's very reputable. They always get their parts/gaskets from Car Quest. When they saw the seal they said it was no different than what was in it and that the lip just barely stuck up out of the groove. They did some searching and used this..
 http://www.fastfishautoparts.com/Performance-Engine-Seals.html  They said it was a lot beefier than any they had seen.       So far it seems to be working.  :woo:

Anyone familiar with it ?

I posted this seal sometime last year and asked if anyone had any experience with it.  There was no response.  Glad to hear someone had positive experience with it. 
Do you know how the shop installed the seal?  Crank still in the block?  Where did they position the cut in the seal after install?

Here is a long post on rear main seal issues that a machinist posted on the other site.  Found it interesting.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1851379/440-rear-main-seal-leak-almost-suicidal-update.html#Post1851379

Offline Racer57

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015 - 04:50:53 PM »
Here's the instructions ......  OOPS !!  Sorry about the over size pic, you'll have to "slide" it over at the bottom to see all of it.   Oh well, at least reading glasses ain't needed.  :)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015 - 04:57:27 PM by Racer57 »