Author Topic: 440 Six Pack vs Gen 3 Hemis  (Read 16945 times)

Offline Spartan040

Re: 440 Six Pack vs Gen 3 Hemis
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015 - 11:02:44 PM »
Really ?
 ever seen a fuel Hemi at what 7500 hp ?
 440 /512 is over 8 liters , bigger than a Viper engine & will take 700+ HP in a stock block , use an aftermarket block & 2200 hp is reliable easy , add technology such as EFI crank trigger ign & coil packs & stupid HP & drivability is easy , add  twin turbos & 1100 hp is not out of reach .
 A 3rd gen Hemi makes a lot more HP/ ci  & doesn't have a significant amount of room left to make more power .

Wow...color me impressed then haha, loving the sound of this

Offline Spartan040

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015 - 01:06:51 AM »

SO I designed a high lift short duration cam that worked well at low RPM around 2100 so that the engine was very effcient at that RPM , I also port heads very differently from most people & have been told to my face that I was stupid to port they way I do , but instead of making the ports large & straight I work on air speed , twist & swirl to cause the air to enter the cylinder at a better angle & create swirl to better mix & suspend fuel , the #s I have seen on the flow bench & in real life in real MPG do not lie .

As for the heads, do iron or aluminum work better? Things I'm considering are MPG, performance, and longevity. I heard that aluminum heads can't stand up to heat like iron ones can? And who would I see about getting heads like those you described made? From what you tell me, most shops won't want to talk about it. Or, how hard would it be to do the porting myself, provided I had the blueprint to follow?

Offline Spartan040

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015 - 09:02:31 PM »
Another question I had, fuel injection. The Edelbrock Pro Flo XT is only rated to 650 horsepower, is that a flexible number or an absolute limit? Are there any better EFI systems out there? I really want to do a cold air intake system, rather than having an air cleaner sitting on top of my engine. I've looked into Hilborn but they are VERY expensive.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015 - 09:13:32 PM »
Another question I had, fuel injection. The Edelbrock Pro Flo XT is only rated to 650 horsepower, is that a flexible number or an absolute limit? Are there any better EFI systems out there? I really want to do a cold air intake system, rather than having an air cleaner sitting on top of my engine. I've looked into Hilborn but they are VERY expensive.

Horsepower limitations with EFI systems usually derive from the throttle body diameter/area and injector sizing. Changing injectors likely isn't a problem, but flowing more air through that Edelbrock throttle body is going to be a limitation without running boost. Gotta feed it.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Spartan040

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015 - 09:26:58 PM »

Horsepower limitations with EFI systems usually derive from the throttle body diameter/area and injector sizing. Changing injectors likely isn't a problem, but flowing more air through that Edelbrock throttle body is going to be a limitation without running boost. Gotta feed it.

Sorry for my ignorance, what do you mean running boost?

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015 - 09:34:26 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance, what do you mean running boost?

Forced induction, turbocharging or supercharging. Applying more than atmospheric pressure to the intake manifold via an engine driven component. A "boost" gauge measures positive intake manifold pressure.
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Spartan040

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015 - 09:38:11 PM »

Forced induction, turbocharging or supercharging. Applying more than atmospheric pressure to the intake manifold via an engine driven component. A "boost" gauge measures positive intake manifold pressure.

Ahh, well, I've looked into the supercharger route and it seems like the only route I could take to keep it under the hood is the Paxton centrifugal supercharger, and I've heard not-so-great things about centrifugal superchargers. I'm not all that crazy about the idea of a turbo either.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015 - 09:40:49 PM »
Ahh, well, I've looked into the supercharger route and it seems like the only route I could take to keep it under the hood is the Paxton centrifugal supercharger, and I've heard not-so-great things about centrifugal superchargers. I'm not all that crazy about the idea of a turbo either.

Opinions certainly vary on that subject, but there are plenty of performance cars out there making great, reliable power with a centrifugal. Is it better than a roots-style/TVS-rotor style? Not in all out performance, but it does certainly help out in packaging, like you found and it can make plenty of power.
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Spartan040

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015 - 09:54:49 PM »
Opinions certainly vary on that subject, but there are plenty of performance cars out there making great, reliable power with a centrifugal. Is it better than a roots-style/TVS-rotor style? Not in all out performance, but it does certainly help out in packaging, like you found and it can make plenty of power.

Well, given that the engine will already be plenty powerful without the supercharger, it doesn't matter to me if it isn't quite as good. Does the Paxton come with a blow-off valve for the excess air like a Pro Charger? If not, can I install one? I plan on the engine being around 600-650 horsepower normally aspirated, I'm not sure I even need a supercharger.

By the way, what cold air intake system should I use?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015 - 09:56:37 PM by Spartan040 »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2015 - 11:36:05 AM »
Engines are just air pumps , so more air with more fuel = more power
 so to exceed 600 HP everything needs to flow more , so yes you need larger injectors & throttle body but also bigger fuel lines & pumps air cleaners & inlet etc .
 Alum heads are fine , most production engines are using them now even some diesels you can run approx 1 point higher compression with the same fuel with alum  & crack repair is simple with alum where iron is often junk when cracked . 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Spartan040

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2015 - 02:45:09 PM »
Engines are just air pumps , so more air with more fuel = more power
 so to exceed 600 HP everything needs to flow more , so yes you need larger injectors & throttle body but also bigger fuel lines & pumps air cleaners & inlet etc .
 Alum heads are fine , most production engines are using them now even some diesels you can run approx 1 point higher compression with the same fuel with alum  & crack repair is simple with alum where iron is often junk when cracked .

I wonder if I could get the bigger parts to work with the Edelbrock components...I'd probably have to call Edelbrock to find out

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2015 - 03:11:34 PM »
Being Chev based I try not to buy from Eddy anyway , so when I did the system for my customer we only bought the intake & rails & every other part was sourced seperatly

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Spartan040

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2015 - 04:32:27 PM »
Being Chev based I try not to buy from Eddy anyway , so when I did the system for my customer we only bought the intake & rails & every other part was sourced seperatly

What do you mean? They do have a setup specifically for Chrysler 440's. I will definitely consider building my own system though

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2015 - 10:56:10 AM »
He means they specialize in Chevys whereas Mopar is more of a low-volume sideline business for them

Offline Spartan040

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2015 - 07:27:16 PM »
He means they specialize in Chevys whereas Mopar is more of a low-volume sideline business for them

Ah, alright. Well, luck was on my side today, I got to try driving a 2015 Challenger R/T Scat Pack with the 392 Hemi and 8 speed Torqueflite. That was a LOT of fun   :grinno: gave me an idea of how much power I want