Author Topic: Safe minimum Idle  (Read 1453 times)

Offline bandt

Safe minimum Idle
« on: June 30, 2015 - 12:19:46 PM »
 Hello,

I have a 340 I just stroked to a 416. I suspect I may have had oiling problems in the top end of my engine. We found some badly worn areas on some fairly new, very low mileage parts. The shafts on my PRW rockers were badly scored and worn and the guides were completely shot in my RHS heads.

Now that it's back together I was wondering if my idle was set to low, not getting enough oil to the top end. It's a street car so it spends a lot of time idling and low rpm. What is a safe operating idle rpm?  The stock engine on the emissions sticker says 800 I think. Is that ok or to low?

Brian

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Safe minimum Idle
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015 - 12:38:48 PM »
What oil pressure do you have at 800rpm?

Offline bandt

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015 - 02:51:59 PM »
I have a standard dash. Before the rebuild I didn't have an oil pressure gauge. I am installing one before it hits the road this time. So.....I don't know what my oil pressure was at idle. What is typical for a small block?

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015 - 03:04:37 PM »
A good rule of thumb for most engines is to have at least 10 psi oil pressure for every 1000 rpm the engine is turning.
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015 - 03:11:52 PM »
I wonder if the cam brg was turned a little causing a little restricting to the heads ,
 I would want a minimum 20 PSI at idle 600 or better RPM should be fine .
 there should be a lot of oil under the valve covers

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline bandt

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015 - 06:30:42 PM »
The top end visually always looked well oiled under the valve covers. I'm really not sure what happened I'm only assuming because of the amount of wear on the guides and shafts.

I wonder if the cam brg was turned a little causing a little restricting to the heads ,
 I would want a minimum 20 PSI at idle 600 or better RPM should be fine .
 there should be a lot of oil under the valve covers

Possibly, I have no other reference for the quantity of oil under the covers other than my own.

I have heard mechanical gauges are more accurate, but have the electronic gauges improved over the years? I am planning on running a VDO electronic gauge.

Brian

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015 - 07:36:26 PM »
low idle can also make your water pump inefficient, and your
alternator inefficient. I run mine at 1100 rpm.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000