Camaro Guy Looking for 71 Cuda Conv. Clone

Author Topic: Camaro Guy Looking for 71 Cuda Conv. Clone  (Read 3385 times)

Offline cudacruzer

Camaro Guy Looking for 71 Cuda Conv. Clone
« on: May 22, 2005 - 03:48:58 PM »
My '69 Camaro Convertible is done. It's my current weekend driver. I know these cars like the back of my hand, but I need help from you guys on my next car....which will be a '71 Cuda Vert. Clone (only way it will be anywhere near affordable).  I have no illusions about the price of getting this thing done....probably $50,000, maybe more. It needs to have that all-original look. If you know a good source for a sound project car, or even someone who can buld up a suitable car, please advise. Thanks for helping a First Generation Camaro guy move on to Mopar...so don't be too hard on me.  Dare I ask...but if you're interested in seeing my all original SS/RS Camaro Convertible I'll get my son to post some pics....I'm not good at this computer stuff.
ROB BRIGGS/Atlanta
'69 SS/RS Camaro Convertible (Numbers Matching)
Bikes: 2005 Custom S&S 145" Pro-Street /2005 BMW K1200LT
3 Kids/2 Dogs/2 Cats/Only 1 Wife
"Better to Wear Out Than To Rust Out"

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Camaro Guy Looking for 71 Cuda Conv. Clone
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005 - 03:58:02 PM »
Welcome to the chat board!!  That is a hard thing to find.  71 cuda convertible . . . clone or modified . . . will cost!!  Don't see many true clones, but do see alot of modified ones pretending to be clones!   Good luck in your search.  Welcome again and enjoy!!  I would like to see a pick of your ride if ya get a chance . . . I like many different muscle cars, just prefer the e-body MOPARS!!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005 - 03:59:56 PM »
Hi there,
  Of course we'd love to see pics of your camaro. We might tease, but we love all muscle cars.  :grinyes: About your search though... that might be a toughie. In the e-Bay section right now, there is a 71 vert clone going for over 100K. It depends on if you are willing to do some work, I guess. By that I mean, restore something. You have defintely picked the highest regarded Mopar E-body for your collection. I wish you luck. At least you know it will cost you a few $$$.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline cudacruzer

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005 - 04:52:42 PM »
I willl spend more time going through the Q&A and archives on this site, but please allow this one further amateur question.  Can you take another model year...like a 70 or 72, and convert-clone it into a 71 Cuda...front grille, rally dash, shark gills on front quarters, rear tail lights/panel, etc?  Might be cheaper to go that route...but "near original look" is still important.  I grew up with these cars and I lose that "nostalgic feeling" when they have too many mods. To each his own, just my personal view....
ROB BRIGGS/Atlanta

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005 - 05:50:41 PM »
You can take a 70 and clone it into a 71, but the 71 fenders and grille would cost you a fortune and it still wouldnt be 100% correct. You cant do it to a 72 because they didnt make a convertible after 71. Your best bet is to find a 71 convertible and clone it.....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline mrcuda

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005 - 06:54:17 PM »
If you have seen the price of 70 cudas I don't think you would want to start cutting them up. The 72-74 cars are so popular now, you would probably have fun just driving one around. Just my opinion.

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005 - 07:37:21 PM »
Good luck in your quest.  My advise to you is to go and buy a lottery ticket.  You're gonna need it....

mopar_guy333

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005 - 09:47:22 PM »
Good luck in your quest. My advise to you is to go and buy a lottery ticket. You're gonna need it....
haha i agree but good luck and hope everyting works in your favor

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005 - 10:15:14 PM »
Welcome to the board Cudacruzer!  If you're going to jump into mopars, you picked a fine specimen to start on !!! Go ahead and ask all the questions you want....we won't flame you.  There's a lot of people on the board who are new to the hobby or don't know much about mopars...that's what makes this board great.  A lot of very knowledgeable people willing and able to help those of us who need it.

Good luck on your search...I'll check all my "favorites" and post here if I find anything.  Again, welcome!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline CUDAMAN1970

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005 - 11:16:08 PM »
The last one that I knew was a 318 car with rotted out frame rails and no drive train - that car sold for $20,000.  The same guy has a six cylinder 3 speed car not running but nice interior and original trunk floor that he won't let go for less than $50,000!  It's going to be hard to find any decent project for less than $30,000 so your $50,000 total investment price probably is not going to be enough, however, you may get lucky and stumble across a good deal.  Good luck with your search!

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005 - 11:18:15 PM »
The same guy has a six cylinder 3 speed car not running but nice interior and original trunk floor that he won't let go for less than $50,000!

That price is just insane.....

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005 - 12:05:37 AM »
I passed up an a 383 vert 2 bbl A/t in 89 for 4500.  :ack: nobody believed me then that I knew it would be worth more in the future.I didn't have the financial.
 The other day, I was talking to one of my old car buddies. He remembered when I told him in the early nineties,  that E bodies are gonna be worth more someday.... Now he is in the market...Overtime!
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline cudacruzer

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005 - 05:38:10 AM »
I am going through a tough reality check on the '71 Cuda Convertible. I may have to ease into this with a hardtop car, or a clone. It took nearly two years to locate my Camaro Vert several states away...piece 'a cake compared to this exercise.  I think I will also fly up to Carlisle to visit the Chrysler show in July...inform myself more about these cars.  I go to the Camaro show there every year, but I think I'll hit the Chrysler/Mopar one this year instead. I will keep you guys posted...but don't hold your breath.  This is another league...very humbling to a First Generation Camaro guy.
ROB BRIGGS/Atlanta

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005 - 06:56:39 AM »
  Welcome cudacruzer. Definitely come by the C-C.com tent while you're at Carlisle and meet us   :dogpile:  Carlisle is an excellent barometer of the Mopar scene and you can check out some member's e-body convertibles at the same time. Hope to see you there :beer:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline GCC

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005 - 10:24:50 AM »
Cudacruzer - I have a '70 Gran Coupe Convertible project in which you may be interested.  BP27G-code, NOM 318 w/ four speed / 3.55 posi, headers; has new quarters, trunk floor, front floor pans, inner fenders.  In various stages of primer; interior, glass, bumpers removed.  Car runs, but is not really driveable other than up & down the driveway.  Power black top is fully functional, but has one bad tear and some discoloration.  Car was originally EV2 Tor red; now has lots of primer.  Gran Coupe interior panels are excellent, bucket seats are recovered.  Have carpet set & console; need a dash.  All new suspension/brakes/fuel lines.  Front disc, rear drum; factory undercoating.  No pics; my camera and USB ports are not a happy couple right now.  $45K firm.