Author Topic: How many of you grew up without...  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Gumby

How many of you grew up without...
« on: July 25, 2015 - 12:35:46 AM »
A/C, or more than 4 channels on tv? Curious?

Would you say it's better now? Or not so much.

I've got all the windows in my home open right now after a summer rain, and it feels and smells wonderful. Maybe 70's, humid, and is just perfect.
To me, it just doesn't get any better than this. Man, it feels good!
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
Re: How many of you grew up without...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015 - 12:59:55 AM »
My family got our first A/C in 1974, I grew up as a military brat,  While living in Adana Turkey I went to school in a Quonset hut... No A/C just a big fan Temps were often over 100 degrees & humidity upwards of 75%... Didn't know I was a mistreated child till I learned that kids can't learn unless their schools are air conditioned... 
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015 - 03:59:15 AM »
4 channels...?  we had 2 and when the wheater was fine we got 1 German channel as well   :bananasmi
No use for A/C... I got kicked out by my mom on a daily basis  :grinyes:
*** Bart ***

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015 - 08:34:36 AM »
Inever had AC in my home or vehicles until I moved to Panama 4 years ago & still do not use AC
WHat is TV  :dunno:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015 - 08:42:46 AM »
Never had and still don't have A/C , never got a TV till I was 12 or so. Other family had one I used to watch when we were over for a visit.  I got rid of cable last October when the kids encouraged me to do so. Don't miss it at all.
I must admit regarding A/C  when it gets close to 90-100 and high humidity I really would like A/C I'm just to cheap to get it.  :lol: We park the travel trailer beside the house and it has A/C so if it gets too much we sleep in there. Haven't yet this summer though.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015 - 09:20:45 AM »
When we got a swamp cooler in '73 we thought we were living large!

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015 - 11:06:06 AM »
Grew up in Louisiana.  Never had A/C. 
Now I live in Colorado and don't usually need A/C for anything. 

Used to get 3 channels on the tube in Louisiana.  Cartoons on Saturday morning , music videos on Saturday night.
Now I try to stay away from the tube.   Takes too much time.   I limit myself to one hour or so a night.

I went to Florida a month ago and wondered how the hell I survived Louisiana without A/C.     We have our own A/C in the mountains called snow and wind.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015 - 11:13:26 AM »
Didn't have A/C growing up. Had a fan in the bedroom window. It's not that hot in Buffalo. Have A/C now but use it maybe 3 weeks all summer. We were lucky with the TV. Living ring on the Canadian border we not only got 2,4 and 7 but also 9,11 and 13 Canadian channels. We did have a rotary antenna with a box on the top of the TV. That was kinda cool until it freezes in the winter so my father would have to go up on the roof to thaw it out.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015 - 12:37:55 PM »
We had 1 TV that sorta worked... he!! I didn't have a color TV till I was moved out of moms house for 10 years. A/C... never, the closest A/C was @ my grandmothers house. A monstrosity - a very BIG Amana window unit. That thing sucked mega amps and could blown a fuse in a half a second. I remember moving that thing once....., took 2 of us....  HEAVY !
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline djais1801

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015 - 12:41:49 PM »
I was born in'69.  we had a tv with rabbit ears.  no ac. in HS I think we had a window unit in my mom's bedroom. that's it.

Offline RCCDrew

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015 - 01:08:54 PM »
I grew up in the 80s and still had no AC and only 3 channels. But we were po.

Offline js29no

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015 - 02:11:50 PM »
growing up in the back hills of central new york we had 4 tv channels but 2 were nbc, we did how ever have a roof antenna. never had ac until about ten or so years ago. and that is a window unit, the tow truck i have now has ac and i have this truck for two years. :rebel: :rebel:

Offline TelisSE440

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015 - 03:58:43 PM »
I vaguely remember when I was six, we had three TV stations with a television that displayed black and white colours, but it was 1990! The first place I went that had a/c was my English class when I was 14. To this day I still don't have a/c in my house but I do have in my car, which I use.  :P

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015 - 05:32:32 PM »
     Lived near Pittsburg till I was 10, which was 1962. 2 story house, when we were home at night Dad had a big fan blowing out the front door and it created an effect that  pulled air in thru the open windows up stairs. Back then left doors and windows open all night.  2 TV channels, rabbit ears, tin foil.   :smilielol:   Moved to Fl, A/C ever since.

:rebel:

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015 - 01:59:31 PM »
Grew up in the 70's- 80's and never had AC, first time in an air conditioned house was my first time to mexico. I bought a window unit from a buddy a few years ago and have used it twice when it has gotten over 95. This year It's seen a tad more use.

TV was always a priority so when cable came out, whiz bang we were there, I loved whipping the slider back and forth....lol