How many of you have or want to have hidden

Author Topic: How many of you have or want to have hidden  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Gumby

How many of you have or want to have hidden
« on: July 25, 2015 - 12:44:43 AM »
rooms? lol. http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/07/10/are-in-on-secret-how-to-add-hidden-room-to-your-home/?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obinsite

I've got a small 7 foot by 21 foot basement that I could easily convert - and may.
I've had a buddy put a small hideaway behind a closet in his basement. Pull a coatrack, and walla- the room appears.

Cool stuff. Anyone else?
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: How many of you have or want to have hidden
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015 - 08:18:08 AM »
I remember 10 - 15? years or so ago we here in Canada had a census (Jean Chrétien years , then the long gun registry... )  and one of the questions was do you have any hidden rooms in your house.  It was at that moment my trust level in government shrunk to an all time low.....
I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to answer yes on that form?

Or talk about it/admit to it on the net!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015 - 11:09:49 AM »
I build Custom Homes for a living.        www.SimsCustomHomes.com

Every couple of homes I will build a hidden room or two.  All have special latch's and opening mechanism's. 
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures as these stay true to being hidden.  I build them after all of my workers are done with the home so that I am the only other person aside from the owners who knows of the hidden room. 

i take a lot of ideas from the prohibition era's hidden bars.     Wish I could show some pictures. 

I think everyone should have a hidden room.  :2thumbs:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015 - 12:46:34 PM »
Don't have any "per se" but I can sure understand the need/want aspect of it.  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015 - 08:01:43 AM »
Growing up my grandparents had a room behind a big bookshelf. The whole bookshelf opened like a door if you were clever enough to find the hidden latch under one of the shelves.

I swear they built it just for us grandkids though... I remember seeing it for the first time after they built the house. They showed it to us and opened it and it was filled with Legos and GI joes and other cool toys

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015 - 10:09:49 AM »
Growing up my grandparents had a room behind a big bookshelf. The whole bookshelf opened like a door if you were clever enough to find the hidden latch under one of the shelves.

I swear they built it just for us grandkids though... I remember seeing it for the first time after they built the house. They showed it to us and opened it and it was filled with Legos and GI joes and other cool toys

:bigsmile:  cool stuff!  :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015 - 10:43:47 AM »
I build Custom Homes for a living.        www.SimsCustomHomes.com

Every couple of homes I will build a hidden room or two.  All have special latch's and opening mechanism's. 
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures as these stay true to being hidden.  I build them after all of my workers are done with the home so that I am the only other person aside from the owners who knows of the hidden room. 

i take a lot of ideas from the prohibition era's hidden bars.     Wish I could show some pictures. 

I think everyone should have a hidden room.  :2thumbs:

cool stuff Josh  :2thumbs:  but tell me... wtf is up with pic DSC 5541 in waxman home.... must be the ghost cat leading you to the secret room....  :scared: :lol2:
*** Bart ***

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015 - 11:09:01 AM »
Wow, someone actually looked through all the pics.  I'm surprised.  Sorry for the unorganizedness of some of it.
The photographer was taking time lapse photos for better clarity, or something like that.   
That cat is a deaf cat.  I guess it comes from a breed that dictates deafness from all of the white cats born of it's lineage. 
I don't think there is a hidden room behind the elevator.   :bigsmile:

cool stuff Josh  :2thumbs:  but tell me... wtf is up with pic DSC 5541 in waxman home.... must be the ghost cat leading you to the secret room....  :scared: :lol2:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015 - 11:09:30 AM »

You definitely had some cool grandparents.  Starting the imagination early !!

Offline Gumby

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015 - 10:25:39 AM »
The whole question started out innocently enough with me remembering Addams Family episodes and stuff. I'm sure as heck not asking anyone to divulge their secrets!
Then a few years ago, that Jodi Foster movie "Safe Room" came out. I've got a perfect mini-basement that know one would ever suspect.

Unfortunately - it's not easily asscessable in a break in or something. But it would make a great hiding room for stuff.

TWO biggest upsides. 1) would make a great hiding place for stuff, and 2) would make a great tornado shelter.

Two BIGGEst downfalls. 1) If you die and the place sells, no one will know it is there, (and all your stuff is in it) and 2) if you use it as a tornado shelter, no will will know where to find you, and you will die anyway. lol.

Years ago, we had a banker that built his house with a bomb shelter. Always made me think of those '50's scenerios where people would be beating at the door, and one day he would open up to find himself alone and helpless.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne