Author Topic: Estimation of Paint Quantity Needed and Brand  (Read 1471 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Estimation of Paint Quantity Needed and Brand
« on: August 11, 2015 - 08:08:51 PM »
Hi all, I am looking for a rough estimation for the required amount of paint to cover the interior, engine bay and the exterior of an e-body. Yellow over primer.

I am looking to shoot my interior, jambs and engine bay myself, the rest I will farm out and I would like to just purchased the required amount of paint all at once so it has the best chance of matching throughout.

Also, do we have any common recommendations for a relatively high quality paint and clear? I plan on driving the wheels off the car and am not looking to spend so much that I shed a tear over a rock chip!

:working:
Thanks
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline twalker

Re: Estimation of Paint Quantity Needed and Brand
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015 - 08:16:21 PM »
I used just over 2 gallons of urethane on mine, 3 coats.  That was every surface of the car, including underneath

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015 - 10:06:42 PM »
I used just over 2 gallons of urethane on mine, 3 coats.  That was every surface of the car, including underneath
:iagree:  Yep, that sounds about right to me. I've used 2 qts of epoxy with 1:1 reduction, making 4 qts., to cover the bottom of my Challenger for 2 coats. It all depends on how much you or the painter uses and some paints are high hiding while others aren't. For a over-the-top, paint every GD panel inside and out job, you may want to consider somewhere in the vicinity of 5 qts total. The best thing to do, is go to the paint dealer and ask him- he should know and be able to make recommendation for his product. DON'T forget a good respirator with new filters and use them- even if spotting in or a wee prime job. You do NOT want to become isocyanate sensitive!  A cheap paint suit is a good thing, too.  :cheers:

Offline RzeroB

• In The Lou and looking for a new (old) ride
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015 - 10:50:36 PM »

That's it right there - 2 gallons "spray-able" once you mixed all the paint, reducer and catalyst together.

Yellow is notorious for not hiding well so don't short change yourself and come up short. On the other hand paint is super-freakin' expensive now a days so you don't want spend more $$$ only to have a lot of paint left over either.

I use to shoot stuff in Nason with decent results. The last car I did I shot it with Sherwin-Williams Finish-1 system - the clear flowed out perfectly and it turned out looking fantastic! I'll probably use the Finish-1 system again on the next one I do since it turned out so well.
Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO

Former owner of 16 classic Mopars. "It is better to have owned (Mopars) and lost then to have never owned at all" (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Offline lulurocks

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015 - 09:31:05 AM »
See if your  paint system has a primer thats tintable ! Tint it to your color .

You will need less base and it will hide better .. Primer being the cheaper of the hungry paint animals it might save you some cash on basecoat . :2cents:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015 - 11:59:17 AM by lulurocks »

Offline Rich G

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015 - 12:37:37 PM »
I agree, yellow does not cover well. You'll need 4-5 coats for good coverage. A tinted primer sealer will help also like the others said. That's what I did when I shot a Cuda Lemmon twist . I used Glasuriti on one car and PPG on the other and was happy with both.