Where Are You At With Your Resto??

Author Topic: Where Are You At With Your Resto??  (Read 9084 times)

Offline JHMoparnut

• 74 Chally 440 Auto SOLD :>(
Re: Where Are You At With Your Resto??
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2005 - 08:26:45 AM »
Well my resto is at a complete standstill. Talked to my body guy yesterday and was informed that the chally would not be done until next summer. :newsad: Let me give a little background.... he is doing my car along with a couple others "on the side" in other words he has a full time job and does the other cars on weekends and after work. I had no problem with this considering he wanted to start the Chally in November of 04. I took the chally completely apart in Oct 04. He did not take the Chally until Feb 05  :banghead: . I was really hoping to have the car this summer. It is not a full resto by any means. This is a body work (new quaters and trunk extentions front clip) and repaint same or very similiar color.

I am really burned out with this car now. Many know I have had it since 1985. Am I really considering selling to buy a bike. Am I crazy or what?

Offline Wrencher

• 73 Plain Jane 318 Auto Project
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2005 - 08:48:15 AM »
A project that just keeps draggin' on can be frustrating.  Especially if you are depending on someone else.  A guy who works with me has a Firebird he is trying to get painted that he yanked from one body shop because all they did was disassemble it and it sat for over a year.  It's now at another shop for almost 9 months and still no progress.  My guess is by now, most of the parts are missing and nobody knows how to put anything back together.  What a joke! 

I can't deal with people who say they will "do it when they have time".  They never seem to have time.   :gripe:

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2005 - 11:54:30 AM »
I can understand your frustration JH!  Ours sat it the body shop for two years before we got it back.  Very frustrating! 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2005 - 12:14:02 PM »
I can understand your frustration JH!  Ours sat it the body shop for two years before we got it back.  Very frustrating! 

Mine was in the body shop for 4 years before I got my hands on it.  It was there over 2 years and I never even saw it within that time period.   :banghead: 

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2005 - 12:27:40 PM »
Well after a few month layoff. we have the 340 rebuilt (again :banghead:) and we'll be dropping in this Friday. I post some pics of the finished install.. 10:5 compression swapped the T/A heads for 2.02 J heads.. and threw in a 292° advertised hydraulic cam. Look for a more driveable car this year.. should still sound good though.

I'll fill everyone in as we finish.

btw - 4cuzin your car looks awesome.. like new. Great thread

-71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Btch n Blue

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2005 - 09:48:41 PM »
Well my resto is at a complete standstill. Talked to my body guy yesterday and was informed that the chally would not be done until next summer. :newsad: Let me give a little background.... he is doing my car along with a couple others "on the side" in other words he has a full time job and does the other cars on weekends and after work. I had no problem with this considering he wanted to start the Chally in November of 04. I took the chally completely apart in Oct 04. He did not take the Chally until Feb 05  :banghead: . I was really hoping to have the car this summer. It is not a full resto by any means. This is a body work (new quaters and trunk extentions front clip) and repaint same or very similiar color.

I am really burned out with this car now. Many know I have had it since 1985. Am I really considering selling to buy a bike. Am I crazy or what?
I'm guessing this would be Richard "Dick" Spaz.... he's working on a '73 Charger for a friend of mine... arg he drives me nuts! :banghead:

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2005 - 08:04:06 AM »
I really feel for you guys who have the waiting game to deal with, sounds like some of this is just  :bs:, but if it is in a shop that relies on insurance claim work it's at least understandable, still tough though. Our cars were done by a friend of mine who has a shop but must rely on the fender benders for his steady income. He really put forth an effort to accomodate us, but he still had the Charger for nearly 9 months and the Chally for over a year, and both of these cars were solid and decently straight to begin with. But in JHMoparnut's situation this just sounds like the usual  :bs: routine?  :banghead:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2005 - 09:13:09 AM »
Ours is not in the body shop yet, and after reading the horror stories above I'm scared to commit it  :-\  I suppose that's the way it goes in this hobby where most of the resto (rust & welding) is done in spare time, or the rare shops that do it are over-booked   :dontknow:
We have planned on at least a year to complete this buildup so I am not too worried, yet.

The engine/transmission is out, the is engine tore down and looks pretty good.  I'm beginning to believe that the odometer is correct at 86K.  We have, as cash allows, collected most of the major parts for the rebuild such as:  Speed-Pro 10 to 1 forged pistons, Edelbrock aluminum 65cc heads, Edelbrock LD340 & Torquer II  intakes, Accel Billet electronic distributor, Accel Super Coil, MSD wires, Holley 780 cfm carb, Hooker competition headers, high volume water pump, and an Ed Hamburger 8qt oil pan.

We will either have the transmission rebuilt or buy a rebuilt performance unit.  For the rear-end we have two '489 units, one will have open 3.91 gears for street use, and the other a sure grip with 4.30 gears for the strip.  We plan to install a new front sway bar, new torsion bars, and replace all suspension bushings.  The rear will get new leaf springs, and of course new shocks all around.

NOW, it's cam selection time!  With the Edelbrock heads we're thinking about going with a hydraulic roller cam and roller rocker setup.  Our goal it to hopefully get this 'Cuda into the 12s but be streetable too.  I have not seen many Hyd roller selections, so ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Same goes for the roller rockers and lifters.  Lots of stuff available for chebbies, but not much for 340s  :dontknow:

Also, please feel free to comment on any "mistakes" we may be making in our parts selection, to reach our goal.

Thanks!  :beer
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline triple black

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2005 - 10:33:51 AM »
Wow.  My heart goes out to all of you waiting on the body shop.  I am not planning on doing the body work until next year over the winter.  I hope I don't have to miss a day of summer.  I've only had my car for about 3 months and I may have finally fixed all the screw-ups of the previous owner.  First thing I did was a new ignition from FBO.  I thought there was an ignition problem, and there was.  The coil had been wired backwards!  Much better now.  The trans kick down linkage was completely messed.  Shifts way better now.  The engine is a fresh rebuild, so trying to fine tune what is there.  I'm going to drive it and have fun this summer and then over the winter I plan on a disc brake conversion,new steering box, assist my buddy in re-camming it and checking push rods, etc while we're there, and port-matching (hope I used that term correctly) the heads and intake.  8 3/4 3.23 is new as well as the rear leafs, so I should be good there.  Interior is the strength of the car, no problems.  Needs paint and some body work, but that will have to wait.  I'm doing alot of learning from everybody here as I have very little experience.  So thank you all!  I'll have plenty of questions upcoming.

Offline JHMoparnut

• 74 Chally 440 Auto SOLD :>(
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2005 - 12:56:25 PM »
I'm guessing this would be Richard "thingy" Spaz.... he's working on a '73 Charger for a friend of mine... arg he drives me nuts! :banghead:

Yes Mike you are correct. I am not in any way angry with him. Just disappointed that it will take longer than I expected. We are friends and I know he'll do a good job. 

Anyway my ol' dad saved the day for me. He wants me to store and drive his 64 Plymouth Sport Fury 426 wedge car while mine is getting done WooHoo. Yea yea I'll post pics when I pick it up this weekend or next.

Btch n Blue

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2005 - 01:23:33 PM »
Yes Mike you are correct. I am not in any way angry with him. Just disappointed that it will take longer than I expected. We are friends and I know he'll do a good job. 

Anyway my ol' dad saved the day for me. He wants me to store and drive his 64 Plymouth Sport Fury 426 wedge car while mine is getting done WooHoo. Yea yea I'll post pics when I pick it up this weekend or next.
Good to hear! Maybe I was just getting yanked by the body shop...  :dontknow: Oh well, at least she's back home safe and sound now!! :thumbs:

I may just have to jet up your way to check out this '64 that you're picking up!! :grinyes: :tongue: I might even bring the car if I can fix most of the problems this weekend!

Sounds like fun!! :cool:

Swedefish

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2005 - 03:24:47 PM »
I understand your frustration with your cars at someone where nothing happens with it  :yawn:,I would seriously consider to do the job by myself,at least I would know that something is done to bring the project forward  :thumbs:.And with the money you save from the bodyshop ,you could buy tools and a welder,(dont know if thats the right word)  :dontknow:. I had only done some minor welding when I started with my Cuda,but I think I learned by the time as I took it step by step.Hope this doesn`t sound weird to you.

Offline Ryan_AAR

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2005 - 11:02:10 PM »
This is just my 2 cents on the Body Shop frustration.  There are several things that can make your car just sit in a shop and not get any work done.   This list is from experience.

#1 Money.
  A- If the shop can make 3 times as much kicking a new car through the shop as they will make fixing your old mopar, they will
  B- If you are getting a heck of a good deal, the body man will loose interest because has not making any money.
  C- You paid the body man half or more up front, he spent the money and now he lost interest

#2 You
  A- you are annoying and every time you go to the shop you piss the body man off
  B- You never call or go to check on the car so the body man thinks you don’t care so he shouldn’t
  C- You keep changing your mind about how or what you want done.
  D- You add additional work with out offering to pay more

#3 Parts
  A- Missing parts or pieces needed to fit or assemble
  B- Junk parts that are not worth fixing

#4 Knowledge
  A- The body man isn’t specialized in working on your type of car and is afraid to screw something up learning
  B- The body man inst specialized in working on your type of car and Breaks something really good

There are more but these are COMMON.

Things to do if the work on your car has stalled:
A- Set goals and communicate them to the body man (can you have my new trunk floor in by the end of the month)
B- Offer bonuses for meeting your goals (a good shop makes $50+ an hr working for insurance companies, how much are you paying?)
C- Ask the bogyman if he wants you around and or can use your help

If all else fails, Pull the car out and find someone else.  Some body men are scam artists and will never finish a project.  Contact the Better Business Bureau and let them know .

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline hilndr11

• Hilndr11 - still in the middle of the rebuild!
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2005 - 12:28:08 PM »
No new pics, too lazy...will wait for my wonderful daughter to come home from college, she's the shutterbug in the family.

Anyway...my VP replica has made a little progress.  Body is done.  All gauges are working, need to hook up dash lights and heater controls.  Just finished headliner (#@$%%#%@&#*$*!!!!).  getting ready to install sound system, then carpet.  Need to install radiator or whatever it's called in the heater box...then get seats covered...and the interior will be done.

Then new leafs and torsion bars...do front end...new tires...screw around with shift linkages, 'cause it shifts awful loose...tighten up the worm gear on the steering box...and off we go.

I figure about another 375 years at this rate.  ;D Been on it for nearly 2 years now.  BUT...every ounce of work is mine...the body work, the panels, the wiring, the paint...all mine, baby.
I freaking hate everything but Mopars.  Period.

Plum6Pak

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2005 - 08:48:38 AM »
After reading all of this, I believe it would be really nice is to find a good traveling body guy (that includes gals) who could come and do specialized specific repairs that we can't tackle ourselves. I believe a person in that line of work could do real well. I'd pay good money to have specific items repaired right there in my garage. They could have a van or something with any specialized tools so they could have anything they need with them. Just a thought cause I was inquiring about this and no one knows anyone who is doing this, at least in my area. They wouldn't even have to paint, just make those repairs I can't do myself.  :grinyes: