Fender Tag Help

Author Topic: Fender Tag Help  (Read 7209 times)

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
Fender Tag Help
« on: May 26, 2005 - 10:44:15 PM »
I asked this a while back without an answer, so I thought I'd give it another shot here.  We are getting a new fender tag made up because ours is so badly rusted.  There is one number we cannot make out and don't know what "should" be there.  The one we are unsure of is the code at the far left column right above the V1G (I guess that would make it the fourth row from the bottom).  Any clues?

Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Fender Tag Help
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005 - 10:54:17 PM »
Well from that pic you posted . . .the first is an "S"  the second is a "3"  and the third . . .alittle tough . . .but from what I see I would say its a "4"   . . . so what is S34??  I don't know??   :dontknow: 

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005 - 12:21:26 AM »
G34 - Drivers side painted racing mirror with remote.

T/Ake care,
Barry

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005 - 08:43:04 AM »
Yep, that is what I was going to say, yeh - right,lol, Barry is da man !  :worship:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Wrencher

• 73 Plain Jane 318 Auto Project
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005 - 09:26:40 AM »
Barry, I believe you are correct, but let's see if I can learn something from this.  I'm starting to realize there is a method to the madness as to how these tags are numbered.  It appears the options are all in alphabetical order from bottom to top, left to right starting after the top color (first column, third row from bottom), am I right?  If so, then the code in question would have to fall between "C55" and "H51".  That would rule out anything except codes beginning with D thru G.

Again, looking at the tag, the remainder of the first letter looks like  a semicircle, ruling out D, E and F.  That means the code has to start with G.  The second character appears to be the lower half of a 3 or 5.  The last character appears to be a 4.  So that means it's either G34 or G54.  Both are LH mirror codes.  Since your car is a SE, I guess that you have a remote mirror which would be G34. 

Can anybody give more detail about what G54 is?  My info says G54 = LH O/Srace mirr Fbd    What is "Fbd"
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 - 09:36:23 AM by wrencher »

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005 - 09:33:33 AM »
But I don't have painted mirrors   :dontknow:  This is a pic of the car as we bought it...I believe it was pretty much all original.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Wrencher

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005 - 09:42:51 AM »
Do you have one or two outside mirrors?  It's very possible the original painted mirror was damaged at some time during the past 35 years and needed to be replaced.  It would make sense that someone would install a chrome mirror as a replacement instead of ordering a new un-painted mirror and having to get the body shop to paint it before installation.  This senario would be possible if you only have one mirror.  Just a guess.   :dontknow:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 - 09:47:52 AM by wrencher »

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005 - 09:44:10 AM »
I have mirrors on both sides  :dontknow:

Offline Wrencher

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005 - 09:49:18 AM »
Then with two O/S chrome mirrors, my info says you should have G37.  That number doesn't look like G37 to me, though.   :dontknow:
Ooops, G37 shows to be a 71 option code only.

I guess it's possible that the dual chrome mirrors were added unless they are part of the SE package.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 - 01:37:17 PM by wrencher »

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005 - 09:55:16 AM »
Could be S54 . . . but the first one certainly looks like a "S"  to me!! 

Offline Wrencher

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005 - 10:09:14 AM »
4cruizn, my information doesn't show S34 or S54 exists, plus it wouldn't be in order with the other codes on the list.  Please see my post above.  Based on a process of elimination, I think the code is a mirror code.

The 1970 brochure I found states that outside racing mirrors are optional and available painted or chrome on all models.  Again, my best guess is it came with only one mirror and a previous owner liked the dual chrome mirrors better and had them installed.  Maybe if you look at the right door you could tell if someone added it or not? 

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005 - 10:19:27 AM »
Could of put on a new door that came with a mirror so it might not be obvious.   :dontknow: 

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005 - 10:29:42 AM »
Well, now that we're talking about it...we do believe that the passenger door has been replaced at some point.  The inside of the door is a different color than the rest of the car.  So, it is possible my car only came with one mirror (but it will be going back with 2). 

So it is possible we have a G34 car...but that doesn't look like a G to me...looks like an S.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005 - 10:38:05 AM »
So it is possible we have a G34 car...but that doesn't look like a G to me...looks like an S.

Thats what I thought?? 

Offline Wrencher

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005 - 01:17:10 PM »
Well, now that we're talking about it...we do believe that the passenger door has been replaced at some point. The inside of the door is a different color than the rest of the car. So, it is possible my car only came with one mirror (but it will be going back with 2).
I bet lots of cars that originally had only one mirror were converted to two.  It just looks better.  I've known lots of people who added a sport mirrors to 2nd gen Camaros that only had a LH mirror as well.  If it's done right, it's very hard to tell, especially if the door from a dual mirror car is used.  The inside paint on yours gives it away.

Agreed, but unless the plant mis-stamped the tag, it couldn't be. 

:dupe: Another thing I just realized is that if the car was really built with dual mirrors, there would be two mirror codes - one for left and one for right, like G34 and G32 together as shown in this 1970 brochure.  One last thing, as far as I know, every E-body must have at least one "G" code option.  If you look at the rest of your option list, there isn't a "G" option.  So the one you can't read must be it.   :grinyes:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 - 01:42:33 PM by wrencher »