Frame Connectors

Author Topic: Frame Connectors  (Read 4731 times)

Offline djr71

Frame Connectors
« on: May 28, 2005 - 06:42:12 PM »
Does anyone know who makes frame connectors for  bodies? I swear I saw tubular ones. Thanks. Doug

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
Re: Frame Connectors
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005 - 07:22:46 PM »
try competition engineering

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005 - 01:05:41 AM »
all connectors are tubular just round or square ???
 I have never seen mass produced round ones Comp , Mopar , Art Morrison all have connectors

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline OUTLAW

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005 - 01:17:37 AM »
i seen some that were made out of pipe
they had 2 pipes along side each other ...not sure if they were connected to each other other than on the endz
but didnt look very efficient to me
but theydid have lots of space along the floorboards and they looked good to the eye but looked useless for the job

Offline ArcticCuda

• Pepe
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005 - 04:36:15 AM »
Does anyone know who makes frame connectors for  bodies? I swear I saw tubular ones. Thanks. Doug

Link attached

http://www.magnumforce.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=26
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005 - 06:41:13 AM by ArcticCuda »
Current Vehicles:
Plymouth PPR Cuda 1970 489 cid
Plymouth GTX 1970 RS23V0E

Sorry my bad english...I'm just an european...

Offline OUTLAW

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005 - 04:02:58 PM »
still looks to me like you would get a lot of torsional deflection with that design

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005 - 11:01:12 AM »
Got mine from Auto Rust Technicians...Made out of 2 inch square tubing.  Jeff
71 cuda 383 3spd manual gy9

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005 - 11:44:47 AM »
How did they work out, Jeff?  I have a pair sitting aside to be installed later on in the "project". 

One of my concerns is that when I held them under the car to check "fit", one side looked okay but on the other side the connector touches the floor pan before it mates with the frames, as though the pan is lower on one side  :???:

Anyone else had this problem?  I suppose I could just try to push the pan up a bit with a jack, or am I flirtin with disaster?  :-\

Got mine from Auto Rust Technicians...Made out of 2 inch square tubing.  Jeff

MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005 - 12:53:05 PM »
Mine hit the floor on both sides like they are made to be cut into the floor. They are not installed
yet, but when I do I'm considering heating them up and putting just enough of a bend in them
to get away from having to cut them into the floor, kind of follow the contour under there. I don't
believe a slight bend in 2 inch square tubing will ruin they're effectiveness any. Do a search back a
couple months "my frame connectors" or "my subframe connectors" something like that. I don't
remember his screen name but he did just that with his homebrew 2 inch connectors and looked
quite good in his pics.  :thumbs:   Jeff

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005 - 09:48:49 AM »
Okay, I will look for that thread.  Mine also came from Auto Rust Tech ( Safe-T-Cap ), and are not supposed to require floor cutting.

Bill
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005 - 12:01:27 PM »
Hi I found it, written by Bucks70rt on March 27th, hes got some pics there that show it pretty good.
I'm not real crazy about how much they might show from the side with a bend in there. I was checking
it out again last night on my car and thought they might hang down farther than I would like. What you
think? Even thought about carving one out of a 2x4 piece of wood as a mock up with the bend to see
how much it would hang down and to use as a jig to gauge the bend in the tubing if I decide to do that.
Jeff

Offline 73BB440

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2005 - 08:26:35 PM »
my buddy made his from 2x3 box steal in his charger. He cut the floor boards and welded them in. He wants to do the same for mine but i'm not to keen on cutting the floor boards.

edit. i just now looked at the link...250 bucks?!! that's insane...i'll be making my own.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005 - 08:29:01 PM by 73BB440 »
Mopar or no car

Plum6Pak

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005 - 08:50:30 PM »
You can still make your own and make them fit without cutting the floor boards if you use smaller material than the 2 X 3's, you can use 2 X 2's and get them to fit. I wouldn't spend 250.00 for a set of these, theirs are only .095 thick (the round ones) and the ones you can build are a little stouter with .125 plus being square has it's advantage too, the materials are around 50.00 and some of your time to fab them up. Just my .02 cents. I installed my own, installed them right in the floor as well for added strength but probably didn't really need it as long as they are welded good on each end. Here is a little bit of what I did, maybe it can help you decide if you want to fab up your own. A little patience, a nice little welder and some materials and you are on your way!  :thumbs:

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005 - 09:56:08 AM »
Hi TB6P, Thank you for the pics. That is a very nice neat job you did there! I guess cutting the floor
out accurately so you have no gaps is probably the toughest part being that its not flat under there!
Did you just cut a slot in the drivers side for the e-brake cable like BUCKS70RT did? With 2x2 square it
looks like the e-brake cable might fit over the top of the connector if its welded in so its bottom is flush
with the bottom of the sub-frames. You guys agree??    :dontknow:   Jeff

Plum6Pak

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005 - 05:03:57 PM »
That's a good question MSB, where I used the 2X3's the cable has to go under it, I was just going to make a nice guide for it to ride through on an angle going to the existing guide. With the 2" I'm not sure how much room it leaves above it. The E brake still worked fine but as you can see needs a guide or run it right through the frame rail. Here's a pic of the cable under the rail. No guide installed yet. The second picture just shows how I tied the connector in even further by adding a strap on the underside for added strength.