Author Topic: '72 Challenger: Slant Six car  (Read 4813 times)

Offline tcalpino

'72 Challenger: Slant Six car
« on: October 25, 2015 - 12:43:17 PM »
After a lot of deliberation and thought, I've decided to keep my Challenger numbers-matching original. The car was still equipped with the original 225 slant six and transmission. I ran the fender tag and vin and found that it was an original "light gunmetal metallic" with medium blue interior. I know a lot of people (if not all) have v8 powered Challengers, so keeping it with the six seems odd enough to be pretty neat.

That being said, where do I find some sort of guide to an original restoration for this type of project? I want to keep this car as original as possible and keep that nostalgic feel to it.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
Re: '72 Challenger: Slant Six car
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015 - 02:16:32 PM »
Sounds like a really cool car!  Very few people keep their /6's so in my humble opinion adds some coolness. 

Got any pictures of the ride?

There are a few on here that have the /6 knowledge.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline ec_co

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015 - 02:50:27 PM »
the '72 slants were pretty uncommon, @ 850ish. certainly unique, most were upgraded and everyone sees v8 e-bodies at the shows, not many slants are seen.

for my slant 6 fix, I go to www.slantsix.org and www.forabodiesonly.com (they have a LOT more slant then the e bodies)

the other thing to keep in mind: you can swap out the k-frame with a v8 one pretty easily. this way you can easily swap out the drivetrain once in a while and have the best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015 - 02:52:41 PM by ec_co »
'70 Barracuda /6 3spd BH23C0E
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015 - 03:05:19 PM »
After a lot of deliberation and thought, I've decided to keep my Challenger numbers-matching original. The car was still equipped with the original 225 slant six and transmission. I ran the fender tag and vin and found that it was an original "light gunmetal metallic" with medium blue interior. I know a lot of people (if not all) have v8 powered Challengers, so keeping it with the six seems odd enough to be pretty neat.

That being said, where do I find some sort of guide to an original restoration for this type of project? I want to keep this car as original as possible and keep that nostalgic feel to it.

There was a 70' black Valiant that was restored by Dave Walden at ECS.
I looked all over for the restoration thread he had on it but wasn't able to find it.

Maybe someone here can help?

His Valiant /6 took gold at the Mopar Nationals.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015 - 06:39:09 PM »
I think that's a great decision.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline ec_co

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015 - 09:14:40 PM »

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015 - 09:50:38 PM »
sadly, almost all the pics of the engine bay (and certainly all the good ones) are not working. =\

Open the thread using Google Chrome or a better windows/mac software.
Nothing wrong with it. It's your system.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline AussieMark

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015 - 11:31:04 PM »
You can always use Schumacher L6-V8 conversion mounts and put the slant, transmission, drive shaft and all other parts aside even unplug the engine bay wiring from the firewall and leave it with the slant and replace it with a factory V8 one that way you have not destroyed the originality and it can be put back to original condition with a few hours work, you probably never will unless you decide to sell. If you remove and replace your rare slant parts with factory V8 parts and don't modify anything you can't go wrong.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015 - 09:29:34 AM »
There was a 70' black Valiant that was restored by Dave Walden at ECS.
I looked all over for the restoration thread he had on it but wasn't able to find it.

Maybe someone here can help?

His Valiant /6 took gold at the Mopar Nationals.

What happened to his thread on here?  :clueless: I was looking for that thread?  :dunno:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015 - 09:44:38 AM »
What happened to his thread on here?  :clueless: I was looking for that thread?  :dunno:

In another thread, Oldschool says he deleted all his threads before he left here.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ec_co

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015 - 11:24:47 AM »
Open the thread using Google Chrome or a better windows/mac software.
Nothing wrong with it. It's your system.

2 different systems, 3 different browsers all give the same results. some pics are fine, but there are a bunch of dead links. it's neat to see frame/body, paint markings and such ..... but I want good shots of the engine bay and none of those seem to be working.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015 - 11:16:24 PM »
Here was Dave Walden's post on B Bodies only on the Valiant.

Hi Everybody,
It is a pleasure to be a new member here!! I wanted to post a link to a thread that is covering the restoration of our 1970 Valiant Project. It was the Black 4 Door that was entered in the OE class at the 2010 MOPAR Nationals. The link will cover every aspect of the vehicle and can hopefully assist anyone who is currently
working on their project. We are also writing a new "How To" Restoration Book for MOPAR vehicles! Please feel free to offer any comments or ask questions. Below is the link for those who want to follow along. We will be updating it on a daily basis with new "Before/After" photos and related commentary. Thanks!

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=84614.0

Dave Walden
ECS Automotive Concepts, LLC
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015 - 05:46:52 AM »
Having done a fair amount of work with the slant 6 I know you can mill the head down .100 & port the head a fair amount , the engine will still look dead stock but the engine will have a lot more power , you can also add the alum 2 bbl intake from the super 6 , while not stock this also adds good power & is a simple bolt on & Can be easily changed back for a completely stock look

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t