Author Topic: torsion bar adjustment  (Read 4910 times)

Offline mopar70maniac

torsion bar adjustment
« on: November 02, 2015 - 10:34:41 AM »
hello group, does anybody know how to determine the correct adjustment for the torsion bars. I removed mine when I installed a dent free k member on my 73 challenger....  got it back together, the wheel angles look ok, just want to make sure it's correct before making any other suspension changes. thanks in advance!

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
Re: torsion bar adjustment
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015 - 11:15:00 AM »
Weight off the wheels, turn the adjustment bolt to increase, decrease height (note: it will adjust the front end height mostly, but will also have an effect on the rear end too).  Lower the car, bounce it, drive it around the block and then re-adjust as needed.  When you are satisfied with the height, get an alignment.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015 - 12:19:01 PM »
Torsion bars set the height and even though that might help the "angle" of the wheel, the torsion bars certainly don't correct it. As said, get the height where you want it, then get an alignment :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline mopar jack

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015 - 03:12:00 PM »
When making suspension adjustments you generally start with the torsion bar set to the correct height. A good factory service manual will help. I see a lot of people just crank the bars to lower the car but if not set properly you may not get a proper camber adjustment and you will lose suspension travel causing it to bottom out sooner. To lower the car beyond factory setting you will want to use a stiffer bar than stock, probably cut or replace the bump stops to allow for more travel and replace the upper control arm to allow more camber/ caster adjustment. Moog offset bushings may help instead of replacing the upper arm.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015 - 03:23:38 PM by mopar jack »

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015 - 03:31:35 PM »
If by 'correct' you mean the factory set height, I think it is measured from the lower control arm pivot. I'll try to remember to check the service manual this evening and post the measurement.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015 - 03:55:55 PM »
Weight off the wheels, turn the adjustment bolt to increase, decrease height (note: it will adjust the front end height mostly, but will also have an effect on the rear end too).  Lower the car, bounce it, drive it around the block and then re-adjust as needed.  When you are satisfied with the height, get an alignment.
                    Are you supposed to loosen the lower comtrol arm bushing pivot nuts before adjusting the bars.  ??

:rebel:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015 - 07:23:33 PM »
It doesnt hurt , that way the bushing is relaxed @ normal ride height

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015 - 09:04:10 PM »
                    Are you supposed to loosen the lower comtrol arm bushing pivot nuts before adjusting the bars.  ??

YES according to the FSM....otherwise you're working against the bushing.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015 - 10:39:19 PM »
Stock front height is 1-1/8". That is the difference between the bottom of the steering knuckle assy and the bottom of the torsion bar adjusting blade.
Scott

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015 - 09:29:06 AM »
...and results in a nose high attitude if you use the same aspect ratio tires on all four corners. Either adjust the bars down a skosh or use a taller aspect ratio on the rear tires.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015 - 02:01:10 PM »
...and results in a nose high attitude if you use the same aspect ratio tires on all four corners. Either adjust the bars down a skosh or use a taller aspect ratio on the rear tires.
ya....not a fan of factory ride height specs.
Scott

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015 - 02:41:55 PM »
 :iagree: or factory wheel alignment in general.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 1973JA5

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015 - 03:52:32 PM »
Keep the lower control arm pivot nuts loose until the ride height is set.Otherwise you'll destroy the bushings.When I rebuild my front end I kept the upper and lower control arm fasteners loose,had a flatbed take it to the front end shop,and they tightened up everything after it was aligned!

Offline mopar70maniac

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016 - 06:13:52 PM »
thanks to all for your input on trying to get my ride height back to normal after changing my k member, and thanks to mopar jack for posting the pic from your manual... which brings me to my next dilemna: when I measure from the ground to the blade and then again from the ground to the bottom of the ball joint as shown in the illustration, I get a measurement way beyond the 1nch & 1/8 allowed for ride height... however when I measure to the bottom of the knuckle (as another member suggested, I think dodj) I get a difference of an inch and half ( a bit higher than the inch and 1/8 allowed according to the illustration) at that measurment I get the lower bump stop clearance of an inch and 1/4. the illustration says that it should be at least 1 inch, so I think I'm good there. also at this measurment, the car sits basically level. ( all tires are the same size) I thought the front of these sat a bit higher than the rear (not that I want that, I actually plan on putting drop spindles on it for some attitude) just want to get the torsion bars adjusted correctly before doing so. anyhow, just wanted to say thanks and see if anybody has any more input.