Author Topic: Just another new guy...  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Sinatra

Just another new guy...
« on: November 07, 2015 - 11:25:49 PM »
Howdy all!

I'm currently working on bringing my '74 Challenger back from suspended animation.  I'm doing a bit of a tribute to a car I had right after high school, which was a double-black '73 340/4-speed Challenger, non-Rallye but with all the Rallye goods.  It was a total rust bucket for being only 15 years old, but such is life in Upper Michigan.  There was no saving it at the time; parts availability was nil compared to now. 
Anyhow, I'm doing this one the way I wanted to do the first one, starting with a very-nice Southern 318 automatic body requiring very little sheetmetal replacement other than the roof skin--'twas a vinyl top, which won't be going back.  Trunk, floors, quarters, everything on this one is original and solid!  It came with a ton of spare parts so not a lot was required to hunt down; just the expensive stuff.  I've already converted it to the 4-speed, replaced the roof (first panel I've ever replaced!), and gathered up everything needed to install the Rallye cluster.  I'll be using a 340 block that came out of a Y1 '73 Charger Rallye automatic I owned back in '91, along with the original Pistol Grip and 340 Four Barrel emblems I saved from the first Challenger.  I've still got a long, long way to go before those come into play, though.

Oh, and my username comes from my '82 Imperial, which is not actually a Frank Sinatra edition but looks the part.  Besides, I have blue eyes.  :biggrin:

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
Re: Just another new guy...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015 - 11:40:24 PM »
Welcome from CO!  What kind of wheels and tire (and sizes) are those?  They look good!

Offline Cudakiller70

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015 - 12:11:38 AM »
Welcome form California  :wave:
Auto spell I'm tired of your shirt
The above is just my opinion
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Offline Sinatra

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015 - 12:42:32 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes!

The wheels are 17x9 Minilite reproductions from Vintage Wheel Works.  I can't remember the backspacing offhand but it was to my spec to be sure they'd clear all the way around.  4.25" maybe?  The Minilites were something I've wanted since I had the '73; they're what were on the Trans Am cars in 1970.  The tires are Nitto NT555, size P255/50ZR-17.  I really agonized over the larger wheel diameter, because I truly hate the huge wheel/rubber-band tire look that's so popular these days.  But, truly high-performance tires in 15" sizes are nearly impossible to find in musclecar sizes anymore, and getting more rare every day.  The 50-series aspect ratio on a 255 section width provides a touch over 27" tire height, with what I felt was still enough sidewall to "look right".  I'm really happy with how they look!

Another shot:

Offline laramie

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015 - 01:03:18 AM »
Welcome!

Offline TelisSE440

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015 - 05:22:41 AM »
Welcome aboard!  :wave:  Nice job you did on the roof!

Offline Sinatra

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015 - 09:31:31 AM »
Thank you!  If I were charging myself by the hour, I'd be broke from that job.  I had absolutely no assistance with that job, right down to pulling the panel out of the box.  A couple of longtime bodymen have looked at the results and said it's done right, exactly how they'd have done it.  I doubt they would've test-fitted it 11 times, though.  :biggrin: 

I know the '72-'74 cars don't have the recognition that the earlier Challengers do, but this really is my dream car.  Other than the machine work to the block and refinishing the Rallye cluster, I'm doing everything on this car myself including body and paint, upholstery, building the rear axle, etc.

Offline Mopar Thunder

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015 - 09:51:05 AM »
Welcome from SE PA. Good luck with the project, sounds nice.

Offline Mpdlawdog

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015 - 10:11:37 AM »
Welcome!  Good luck with the project!!  Really like the wheels!!!  My car came from Michigan...but survived somehow!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015 - 01:00:56 PM »
welcome.

Here's a picture of Frank driving the first FS special off the assembly line.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Sinatra

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015 - 01:06:22 PM »
Mine will speak softly and carry a very-large stick.  I think Mr. Sinatra would approve, though he might find the clutch pedal a bit of an annoyance.  :biggrin:

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015 - 01:48:38 PM »
Welcome: I like the car and the wheels too.

Sheldon

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015 - 06:14:40 PM »
Welcome! I like those wheels too, I had them on my car too.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 69ChargerRT

• Administrator
  • Resident
  • Its the car, right? Chicks love the car. - Batman
    • Daisy - My 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015 - 10:13:20 AM »
welcome to the site!  keep us updated on your progress!

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015 - 12:13:41 PM »
Welcome to the board.where abouts in the U.P. of michigan.i'm originally from up there.born and raised there,now live in st paul mn.

i'm orinally from MASS CITY MI.very small town 13 miles north of ontonagon mi.

71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD