Author Topic: Just another new guy...  (Read 5178 times)

Offline Sinatra

Re: Just another new guy...
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015 - 07:27:39 PM »
Welcome to the board.where abouts in the U.P. of michigan.i'm originally from up there.born and raised there,now live in st paul mn.

i'm orinally from MASS CITY MI.very small town 13 miles north of ontonagon mi.
Kingsford.  Birthplace of both the charcoal briquette and the paintball/paintball gun.  When I was a kid, I lived one house away from the guy that originally came up with the idea of making a gun to shoot marking paint.  Obviously, two ranchers/loggers at some point decided it would be fun to shoot each other, and an entire sport was born.

I know where Mass City is; I've been there a couple of times but I can't think of why I was up that way.  Probably looking at old cars...  :biggrin: 

St. Paul... you're still pretty close.  Ever get back this way?  Coincidentally enough, Iron Mountain/Kingsford are the "Twin Cities" of the U.P.  :lol:

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015 - 10:08:19 PM »
Welcome to the site and as a fellow 74 Challenger owner, just let me say how jealous I am of the condition of your car! The roof is one of the very few panels I didn't have to change on mine and it's a triple black car. The roof is going back on- only THIS time, there'll be some paint under it!  :wave:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015 - 10:26:19 PM »
Welcome to the board! :wave: I believe that I can say I'm the closest member to you as I'm just across the boundary waters in Florence Co, WI. :biggrin: :2thumbs:

I work in IM @ CCI Systems on the north side.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Sinatra

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015 - 04:06:33 AM »
Welcome to the board! :wave: I believe that I can say I'm the closest member to you as I'm just across the boundary waters in Florence Co, WI. :biggrin: :2thumbs:

I work in IM @ CCI Systems on the north side.
Double coincidence:

1) I was a fiber-optics systems engineer at CCI Systems when it was still Cable Constructors, 1999-02.  You probably know my sister-in-law, who's worked there in HR or Safety or wherever she is now for over 10 years.

2) I worked at Kurtz Diesel up until a couple of months ago, so I was in Florence every day for almost two years.  I work at the CarQuest in Iron Mountain now.

We've probably met.  I almost bought a '72 Challenger Rallye in Florence about 25 years ago.  I can't remember who had it at the time, but it was owned by a guy named Jim Brackett when I was in high school.  Fred Noeske and Trevor Dollar both later owned it; it was a 340 car originally but was swapped to a 383 in the '70s.  Candy-apple red over gold with an original T/A hood & spoiler added, and the 340 SIX PAK decals on the fenders.  Ring any bells?  The original owner (Dennis White) has the car now; I sold him the decklid off my car last year along with the repro T/A spoiler that had been on my car.

Welcome to the site and as a fellow 74 Challenger owner, just let me say how jealous I am of the condition of your car! The roof is one of the very few panels I didn't have to change on mine and it's a triple black car. The roof is going back on- only THIS time, there'll be some paint under it!  :wave:
I got really lucky in buying mine.  A friend on another forum had it for many years and had sold it, but somehow ended up getting the car back after over a year.  The new owner had started redoing the car and run out of money, so by that time it was a rolling shell.  After getting it back, he decided it was more than he wanted to tackle and "not really what [he was] into" so he gave me a hell of a deal.  It's a lifelong southern Alabama car, so other than the problems caused by the vinyl roof it's astoundingly solid.  It's got a couple of problems, but seriously I didn't think shells this good still existed in project form.  I thought they were all snapped up long ago.  Original floors and trunk pans that don't need replacing?  In 2014?!  For $3,500?!  Sign me up!  I also met a couple of the previous owners, dating back to the early '80s.  The topper?  Among the trailer-load of stuff I got with it, the car came with a newly-redone dash pad, still in the wrapper!  :o

Still, even though the roof looked good in the quarter-seam areas, there was a little damage in that area that had been previously repaired.  After removing the original roof, I found significant damage to the roof structure in that area.  I fixed it, and fixed it right, but it was pretty heartbreaking on such an otherwise-solid car.  Vinyl top?  Never again.  The whole process was a ton of work, especially for someone that's never done sheetmetal work previously, but persistence and diligence paid off.  I know it's right.  It has to be--I dreamed about this car for over 25 years!

I've talked to a few '74 owners since getting mine, and I've seen a bit of a trend among them: weird options.  Almost as if Chrysler said, "End of the line, boys... start throwin' stuff at 'em to use up what we've got!"  Mine's a 318 auto car with manual steering and manual disc brakes, but it's an AM/8-track car w/AC, light group, console shift, and Tuff wheel (per previous owners, the data tag is gone).  Is yours an oddball combo too?

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
Just another new guy...
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015 - 07:11:35 PM »
Hello, no, I don't recall any of those people or the car. Granted, I'm 30 now so I can probably see why I don't recognize those names. :P

I'll have to stop into Northern Supply some time and say, "Hi". I know Randy & Terry quite well & used to chat it up with Larry, who was a DSM guy that used to work there.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Sinatra

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015 - 10:23:13 PM »
Jesus H. Christ at a clambake, suddenly I feel very old.  :biggrin:

Offline 734406pk

• Andy
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015 - 10:56:10 PM »
Welcome to the site!
1973 Challenger 440 6 pack auto 3.91 rear
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 6.7 Cummins Fleece EFI Live