Author Topic: My Mechanic Really Messed Up.  (Read 2327 times)

Offline pain995

• My Red Hot 69.
My Mechanic Really Messed Up.
« on: May 30, 2005 - 06:40:46 AM »
Well 1 more problem to add to my list.  I finally was getting the fish inspected to be legal on the road.  Only problem was the brakes going down pretty low at times.  My mechanic said it was definately air in the lines.  No big deal leave it here and we'll take care of it tomorrow.  So I pick the car up on Thursday and he tells me yeah he had a hell of a time getting the air out of the lines but all is ok.  So I drive the car home that eve and it drives just fine except for the low clearance from my headers but I figure I'll work on that on Saturday.  Saturday comes and climb underneath to adjust the torsion bars for more clearance.  Whats this I see running on the frame but Brake fluid.  So I'm thinking Steve my mechanic wasn't to clean when he bled the breaks Right?  Wrong.  Later that day I open the hood and what do I see but the Master Cylinder top is off.  He must not have latched it correctly because when it is it on it is extremely tight and theres know way it is coming off.  We all know what happens when brake fluid gets to soak onto paint for some time.  You got it now I have paint blisstering all over the underside of my hood and the engine compartment wheel well  :madvibe: .  I Tried geting ahold of him but he is off because of the holiday.  Not sure how to handle this he is a nice guy with a local garage that everyone has gotten to befriend.  WHAT TO DO?????  I don't even know what color paint was used on the car.    Don't know where the car was painted either.  The guy I bought the car from was supossed to get locked up for multiple DUI's and I have been unable to contact him for information.  Any suggestions????   :???:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005 - 04:09:09 PM by pain995 »
Proud Owner of a 69 Barracuda

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
Re: My Mechanic Really Messed Up.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005 - 07:06:00 AM »
People make mistakes but that was a stupid one. If i was Steve your mechanic , I would apologize, and pay the cost of the paint to do the repair. Its easy to color match, just bring something with the color to the paint shop.  :thumbs:

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005 - 07:08:41 AM »
Wow that sucks bad man :burn: i feel your pain. I think i would at least go back and show the mechanic what happened to your paint and see what he says. He may offer some resolution to the problem. If not your probably going to have to get the paint matched as close as possible and do the repairs as best u can. :dontknow: Ive had a similiar brake fluid problem and its never nice. Good luck

Offline pain995

• My Red Hot 69.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005 - 07:13:23 AM »
I do nderstand mistakes happen and I'm hopin he sees it the same way.  Anyway here is a pic of what it looks like now from a near perfect paint to this.  Its a sad wekend for me right now  :cry: .

Offline pain995

• My Red Hot 69.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005 - 07:16:19 AM »
One more to  :cry: over.

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005 - 10:23:22 AM »
I agree with the first two posts. Anyone can make a mistake and hopefully he will own up to it. I know how I would feel.  :nono:  Just one more reason I DON'T take my car anywhere to get worked on unless I'm there to witness the work. Hope things work out..
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005 - 11:22:28 AM »
Yep that sucks . . . same thing happened to me . . .still haven't fixed it.  Soon!   :banghead:   :banghead:

Offline pain995

• My Red Hot 69.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005 - 04:14:44 PM »
Well good news I drove the car down to show him the damage and he was upset about it.  And is having me take it to the local body shop to have them take care of it.  He said he'd cover the difference of what I owe him for the work he did, and apologized for damage.  So now I can rest easy again  :thumbs:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005 - 04:17:33 PM »
That's GREAT news, but that mechanic is going to pay a little more than he thinks. That looks nasty.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005 - 05:00:18 PM »
That is great news and speaks loads about that guys character!  Glad it worked out!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005 - 05:48:43 AM »
It's hard to find a guy these days to "be on the level" with you - glad he has offerd to fix it.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005 - 06:17:56 AM »
It's hard to find a guy these days to "be on the level" with you - glad he has offerd to fix it.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

spread the word you found a good guy who admits his mistakes.

Glad it worked out.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline pain995

• My Red Hot 69.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005 - 11:06:33 AM »
Well as of yesterday she is in the body shop.  And my wife saw it in the shop with the hood off and the guys sanding things down.  I hope the mechanic and the body shop wroked out some sort of deal.  Cause like MEKrunner said I think the cost is going to be more then he thinks.

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005 - 04:28:51 PM »
Pain995, I am glad it is working out well.  I too think MEK is right, but I hope he keeps his word.  It sounds like he will.

Offline pain995

• My Red Hot 69.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005 - 11:36:45 AM »
Well here we go again.  My wife got the call from my mechanic that the car was finished but there is a problem.  They say that there is a leak down at the one disk brake at the piston cylinder or something.  they said they noticed when the car was in the garage that there were some drips.  Then when they started the car and put the brakes on it sprayed out.  Heres my problem it wasn't leaking before I took it there.  No spots in my garage at all since I've been driving her.  It has complete new brake system disks in front and drums rear.  They had to remove the lines to the master cylinder etc to paint the engine area.  There saying they wouldn't drive the car in case any brake fluid gets on the fresh paint.    So what do I do my mechanic says he has no idea what part it needs since it ddin't come with disk brakes and they are some aftermarket Disk brakes.  I'm thinking if I wrap the area in plastic zip tie it and get in my garage I can take a look and maybe show a pic on here and see if anyone can help me out on the part and just call it a learning experience to be present when work is being done to the car.  Any thoughts ???