Author Topic: '70 Challenger exterior door handles  (Read 2288 times)

Offline plumcrazzy

'70 Challenger exterior door handles
« on: November 18, 2015 - 08:42:31 PM »
My passenger side door handle/latch gave up the ghost this morning. Does anyone know where I might acquire one (or a pair). Does Dave (Roseville) have these in stock? I remember that years ago the only repops available were the flat type (for Cudas) whereas the Challenger type has a slight curvature. Should I look for the whole handle or are there parts available? Thanks.

Offline JH27N0B

Re: '70 Challenger exterior door handles
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015 - 09:28:08 PM »
 Dales cuda shop carries Challenger door handles
http://www.dalescudashop.com/197074-challenger-door-h197074.html

Offline 69CHARGERMD

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015 - 11:39:12 AM »
I bought mine from Dale's ( he has the correct handles for a challenger )
You might be able to find a pair of used handles if that is a option.
1970 Challenger WSS
1969 Charger RT/SE
1965 Belvedere

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015 - 12:06:52 PM »
My passenger side door handle/latch gave up the ghost this morning. Does anyone know where I might acquire one (or a pair). Does Dave (Roseville) have these in stock? I remember that years ago the only repops available were the flat type (for Cudas) whereas the Challenger type has a slight curvature. Should I look for the whole handle or are there parts available? Thanks.

YEs we have these in stock WITH THE CORRECT CONTOURE.
we retail these for  130.00. cc.com would be 95.00 + usps

Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline plumcrazzy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015 - 08:46:33 PM »
First of all--Thanks Dave @ Roseville for getting in touch regarding the phone #. I removed the interior door panel today and then the door handle/latch. Broken big time---casting completely let loose and tore a chunk out of the housing. I dug through my 20 year old collection of parts and found a bunch of used handles--P/S & D/S. Found a nice P/S that was grungy---degreased, cleaned it up--buffed & polished the chrome--looks as good as new. Ready to go back to service but have a question. Is there a trick or some slick way to get the latch wire reinstalled to the handle mechanism? I put all this stuff together years ago after I painted the car and I don't remember the latch wire being this hard to get to. I used a long screwdriver to pop the wire (and the plastic retainer) through the hole in the handle but it sure looks like I am going to have a hard time reaching in there to get the wire reinstalled. Any ideas? Thanks.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015 - 11:40:04 PM »
I just went through this with my challenger; if we are talking about the same thing, the wire (the one with the little z or squiggly shape to it); it needs to be put onto the handle before it is put into the door. Once in, it is very difficult (I won't say impossible as I am sure someone has done it) to put in. The problem is that you have to be very careful or it will fall off when you are installing the handle. The "trick" is to tape it to the arm so it stays on, then when it is all hooked up, remove the tape (or perhaps just leave it if it works).
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline plumcrazzy

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015 - 08:38:23 PM »
 Update:  Done. Here is what I did.
1. Installed gasket and exterior door handle and secured with masking tape on the outside.
2. Inserted handle retaining nut into socket on the end of a long ratchet extension and installed nut.
3. Used a long finger retriever (tool has a plunger and grabber fingers on the end) to fish the latch rod up to the handle location.
4. Held the rod close to the latch hole location by making a fork type hook from a welding rod and taping it to the door frame. Released the finger retriever.
5. Rolled the plastic retainer on the latch over the top and towards the door skin.
6. Pushed the latch rod down to get rod end and hole in latch lined up.
7. Inserted rod into hole in latch.
8. Used a welding rod hook to roll the plastic retainer back over the top and onto the latch rod.
9. Used a long handled screwdriver to gently push the plastic retainer onto the latch rod. Snap! I'm done.  :ylsuper: