Author Topic: Fender tag fake?  (Read 7868 times)

Offline YellowThumper

• I left the snow for this?
Re: Fender tag fake?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015 - 10:40:28 AM »
This is what you're gonna see in about 2 weeks under the "welcome wagon"...

"Hey so glad to be here...I bought a rare 70 Challenger RT/SE off ebay with tons of options...can anyone decode this for me?"

LMAO on that one.
Off to view that section now...

Mike
Removing the warning labels one at a time.
Nature will take care of the rest.

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015 - 10:44:10 AM »
Yeah, i advised him that folks are particular about fender tag info and that he may want to say that in the ad. He's calling out broadcast sheet info as fender tag info.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline YellowThumper

• I left the snow for this?
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015 - 11:22:10 AM »
As I suspected...
Removing the warning labels one at a time.
Nature will take care of the rest.

Offline kissalien

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015 - 11:33:46 AM »
Yeah, i advised him that folks are particular about fender tag info and that he may want to say that in the ad. He's calling out broadcast sheet info as fender tag info.

Still wouldn't explain the SPD/VIN relationship issue.

Offline js29no

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015 - 11:44:02 AM »

Still wouldn't explain the SPD/VIN relationship issue.
  :iagree:

Offline ec_co

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015 - 01:29:26 PM »
Here is the reply I got

The fender tad listed is only a [idea] of what they may look like and actually the way I did it is [ incorrect.] GTS is presently working on this missing detail. However, GTS tag service hasn't returned their findings yet. Hence, I do not know for sure exactly how the fender tag should be. Diana at GTS has given Galin the data I sent on the car and he is supposed to come up with ones I will be able to reattach to the car. I have contacted the last three prior owners to see if one of them kept the tags for a souvenir or some other reason. I am also trying to contact the body shop that did the paint work to see if they may have forgot to re-attach them to the fender. At any rate for the moment, the car doesn't have the original fender tags. But, it will when it leaves me. It [is] on my "THINGS TO GET DONE" list. I may have an answer for you before the auction ends. If so, I shall eMail you. The other hang up that I am expecting an answer on with GTS is a copy of the "Build Sheet" on the car. We could have reconstructed the fender tags more quickly if I had a copy of that. Most likely was lost when the new leather interior was done. The best information that I have is that the car was originally a RED FE5 383 4-speed R/T SE with a Black Bumblebee Stripe that was quickly upgraded to a 440 SIX PACK in the 70's. So far I have an idea of the history back to about 1983. THX for your interest and inquiry

sooo many things wrong with this.

*I do not know for sure exactly how the fender tag should be. Diana at GTS has given Galin the data I sent on the car and he is supposed to come up with ones I will be able to reattach to the car   :puke:
*the car doesn't have the original fender tags *But, it will when it leaves me.  :sly:   :clueless:
*The other hang up that I am expecting an answer on with GTS is a copy of the "Build Sheet" on the car. We could have reconstructed the fender tags more quickly if I had a copy of that    :banghead:
'70 Barracuda /6 3spd BH23C0E
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015 - 02:03:58 PM »
This guy is doing some hokey stuff here and I'm not sure if he's just not aware of what he's doing or playing stupid.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015 - 06:10:14 PM »
Without the build sheet, or the original tag, how does one come up with the VON?  Those are the only two places I know of, and I don't think it is a sequential number either.

Even the story about going to GTS and all that seems hokey too.  I agree with djais1801:

This is what you're gonna see in about 2 weeks under the "welcome wagon"...

"Hey so glad to be here...I bought a rare 70 Challenger RT/SE off ebay with tons of options...can anyone decode this for me?"

Thanks RzeroB for the attaboy. My family has a saying: "Pay Attention".  Just doin' my part!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015 - 06:12:14 PM by EB3-GranCoupe »

Offline andben

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015 - 10:10:16 AM »
Without the build sheet, or the original tag, how does one come up with the VON?  Those are the only two places I know of, and I don't think it is a sequential number either.

Even the story about going to GTS and all that seems hokey too.  I agree with djais1801:

Thanks RzeroB for the attaboy. My family has a saying: "Pay Attention".  Just doin' my part!

This is a very rare situation regarding sequentials VIN/VONS/order from dealership, look at those tags:

I want both those cars and build a "assembly line 1" in my garage!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015 - 10:12:09 AM by andben »
e-body for life

Offline js29no

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015 - 10:37:22 AM »
OK confused again ! I don't see N85 for A tachometer but I do see A62 for A rallye cluster. I also see A N96 fresh air system or shaker hood and J54 sport hood. how could it have the code for A shaker and A sport hood? :clueless:

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015 - 04:35:10 PM »
All I can add it that when I first purchased by 70 Challenger RT; I contacted GTS and ole Galen told me that if I didn't have a broadcast sheet there was nothing he could do for me in terms of  developing/making a new fender tag. I had told him I didn't want anything on the tag that wasn't obvious or appropriate, but he wasn't having it. I suspect his standards may have lowered or the seller is full of crap (perhaps a little of both).

I see this as a result of the "mopar fever"; he has a car and is trying to maximize his profit margin while trying to appear above board. This probably will work with a new to the hobby buyer, however problematic to someone who knows.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline ec_co

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015 - 04:47:42 PM »
I see this as a result of the "mopar fever"; he has a car and is trying to maximize his profit margin while trying to appear above board. This probably will work with a new to the hobby buyer, however problematic to someone who knows.

as EB3 said, the buyer will probably end up here eventually .......

'70 Barracuda /6 3spd BH23C0E
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015 - 06:18:30 PM »
as EB3 said, the buyer will probably end up here eventually .......

More likely it'll be "Is this fender tag fake?"

Offline andben

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015 - 03:06:26 AM »
OK confused again ! I don't see N85 for A tachometer but I do see A62 for A rallye cluster. I also see A N96 fresh air system or shaker hood and J54 sport hood. how could it have the code for A shaker and A sport hood? :clueless:

N85 top left.

I think N96 and J54 could be stamped on CUDA ONLY fender tags. Also think when it was a BS car it always had the J54.

Cars are built January 1970 so if it was a Challenger N96 couldnt be order.

e-body for life

Offline js29no

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015 - 08:37:45 AM »
I stand corrected, or educated. i didn't see spot the top corner, and looking at pictures of the hemi `cuda gathering I saw the N96 and J54 code's on several tags. learned something new, all way's A good thing. :2thumbs: