Author Topic: New Quarter Panel - Roof Seam question  (Read 9149 times)

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
New Quarter Panel - Roof Seam question
« on: November 29, 2015 - 08:20:33 PM »
I recently replaced both rear quarters on my Cuda; I spot welded the quarter/roof seam as the factory did (probably a few more spot welds actually). Today a friend who is an old time body/paint guy commented that I needed to weld the entire seam as they will flex there and if I don't put in lead (which I do not intend to do, I intend to use all metal) the filler will crack. I have full subframe connectors, welded K from, inner fender braces, lower radiator brace, etc. I do not think it will flex even a little, but wanted to put it out there. I already filled in one side and given the price of all metal am not real excited about grinding it out to weld the seam but...

Any professional builders/body guys out there with some thoughts?
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline laramie

Re: New Quarter Panel - Roof Seam question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015 - 08:31:59 PM »
Not a pro, but I've discussed this very issue with a very experienced body man who did all the work on several 100% correct judged cars and many many very nice cars.  He charges a base of $10,000 to paint a car.

His thoughts: Back then, some cars came with lead, some came with plastic.  Pretty much all the cars back in the day had a seam there, and if driven long enough eventually all of them crack and need repainted. He showed me a leaded 64 Chevrolet that had deformed lead and the beginnings of cracks that was in his shop for work.  In the end, he recommended a clean repair and didn't mention anything about welding the whole seam.  He also won't do lead work and said that if the body work is done right (filler kept very very thin) the plastic is as good or better than lead. 

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015 - 08:34:39 PM by laramie »

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015 - 08:40:27 PM »
Thanks, I have been told about the same thing. My thought is that with all of the structural bracing I have and the fact that I spot welded the crap out of it; I should be ok, but I thought I would ask as I am sure there is someone out there doing the same thing and it might be worthwhile to know.
Current Mopar
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015 - 09:31:25 PM »
What I see the pros do is weld metal in the joint and pretty much weld the whole joint solid and metal finish the joint with no filler. Yours should be more solid than original but paint is expensive these days and I would not take a chance.

Sheldon

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015 - 09:41:09 PM »
Well, as an old bodyman who also has replaced both full 1/4's; I'll be re-soldering the seams on mine. Mine also, now has subframe connectors and the US Cartool frt reinforcement kit. If yours is like mine and you look closely at the line of the roof to 1/4, there's a definite difference in heights and this was apparent when I sweated the old solder out. The factory job had more depth of solder than I care to have in plastic over that joint and I'm not going to spend 2 days welding/grinding mig welds to try to do it that style. Having said that, one can always hope that the increased stiffness will prevent a re-occurance. I don't know how that would play out in a high horsepower car though, and maybe some of the lads who have such cars could chime in here. Anyways, it's just my  :2cents:   :cheers:

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015 - 10:06:52 PM »
When you say you will be "resoldering" them, do you mean you will be refilling them with lead?

In my case I have done a lot of chassis stiffing to include welding in the K frame, reinforcing the shock cross member, US Tool sub frame connecters, 1/8 plate home made torque boxes, a 1/8" boxed and welded radiator support (you can easily tow the car from this), rectangular inner fender braces, etc. When you jack up one corner the entire side lifts.

I agree that both the quarter and the roof are off in heights and was planning to use all metal to fill this gap as well as blend it all in.
Current Mopar
Past Mopars

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015 - 10:09:03 PM »
My metal guy welds them solid :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015 - 10:11:21 PM »
good to know; since I am not too far a long it isn't that big of a deal, I can grind out what little material I put into the pass side and weld them up.
Current Mopar
Past Mopars

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015 - 10:45:09 PM »
The bottom line:

If the filler is thicker than a nickel, you need to either replace or lead.
Or you risk the band-aid effect. That is when the plastic filler expands at a faster rate than metal at the pillars.
This is very evident on hotter days.

Been there done that.

I know I'm falling on deaf ears but it took me three times to figure out why my sail panel kept coming out horrible.

My car was a vinyl top roof originally filled with that weird saw dust factory filler underneath.

BTW, I've owned it since 72' and I've seen this problem on others that thought body filler would work only to end up with a pregnant sail panel seam at the car shows.   
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline EbodyMod

• Will it ever be finished????
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015 - 10:53:58 PM »
 :wavingflag: I have been reading about a new metal epoxy called alumafill. It looks similar to a epoxy we used on aluminum epoxy we use on aluminum superstructure on ships made by enecon. Has anyone tried that stuff yet?
:wavingflag:  Quit being offended by everything, I am sure you are doing something that upsets me, but I am not complaining about you!!! It is a free county get over yourself!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015 - 11:06:13 PM »
:wavingflag: I have been reading about a new metal epoxy called alumafill. It looks similar to a epoxy we used on aluminum epoxy we use on aluminum superstructure on ships made by enecon. Has anyone tried that stuff yet?

I even tried it and it still expanded.

Just trust me!
Over a nickel and it will grow!

You need to Lead the 3 areas that that were originally recommended done by the engineers specifications.

The A pillar
sail panel
under door where quarter meets rocker

Lead/solder isn't really that hard to learn if someone gives you tips.
Youtube can help as well.

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015 - 11:10:37 PM »
So you are saying they will "swell"? I would assume this is due to moisture/rust? The original comment to be was that it would crack due to body flex.
Current Mopar
Past Mopars

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015 - 11:27:10 PM »
So you are saying they will "swell"? I would assume this is due to moisture/rust? The original comment to be was that it would crack due to body flex.

No!

It's due to the differentiation of materials expanding at different rates.
Plastic is a faster expansion rate in heat than metal.

Just like a turn signal relay, inside are 2 metallic strips binded together.
As one heats up it causing it to curl making a contact.

We're talking about molecular thermal differences.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015 - 11:33:45 PM »
Next Summer I'll hunt for sail panel band aids at the car shows.
Hopefully it'll be a hot day and then you'll see what I'm talking about.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015 - 11:38:34 PM »
Got it, no worries I will just weld mine up and eliminate the issue.
Current Mopar
Past Mopars