Author Topic: 71 cuda grille C shaped moldings  (Read 2875 times)

Offline culp71

71 cuda grille C shaped moldings
« on: December 03, 2015 - 04:23:48 PM »
All,

trying to finish 71 cuda grille assembly
I have everything but the C shaped moldings that go around the 6 "towers"

question: what retains them in place, I have the clips that go on the out side of each C piece but the tips do not stay in place..
is there another clip or does one have to bend the trim pieces or flare the ends after installing them so that they stay in place??
I have them all in but the tips keep lifting, is there another clip?

I notice under each side there is a slightly raised section in the grille molding, is there to be a clip here as well?
have others seen this, does one need to "glue" these??

thanks all
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015 - 10:33:51 AM by culp71 »

Offline Rich G

Re: 71 cuda grille C shaped moldings
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015 - 05:25:37 PM »
There is a clip that holds the "C" in the center but the ends slip in the holes in the grill just a little bit. Every "C" is a different size for the left and right and only fits in one spot!

Offline culp71

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015 - 08:50:32 AM »
so no additional clips then.
it seems the problem is the grille or the trim C's as the holes at each tip are too large at do not reach or retain the C piece or maybe not located properly as none of the C trims tips touch the opposite side of the holes.

I will have to do something to retain these tips as they do not touch the grille.

any one know of some decent epoxy or glue that would grip stainless and not turn surrounding areas white when it dries?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015 - 10:15:38 AM »
All 6 are different, if you have them in the right order they should clip in no problem.....Are they original or reproduction ?
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline culp71

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015 - 10:32:53 AM »
they are reproductions as well as the grille is too,
I have all in proper locations as they do not come close to fitting in any other location, but all legs are short of "hooking" under the grille holes edge.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015 - 10:35:12 AM by culp71 »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015 - 10:35:33 AM »
That's odd, I've used those grills before with no issues. Maybe once the clips are fully inserted they will push the trim forward enough to "hook on" ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015 - 02:10:34 PM »
What brand of reproduction? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline culp71

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015 - 09:40:38 AM »
its a PPR, and I know, I know they are the worst, but I thought I could make it work.

here's a few pictures of my concerns:

-find a way to retain C trim tips (as they do not reach the grille)
(holes in grille too large)

-find way to reduce the bulge from C trim side clips
(is this common? I tried to some what flatten one clip before installing, but they are brittle and just break)

-correct direction for grate clip bow (up or down)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015 - 09:45:14 AM by culp71 »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015 - 10:18:40 AM »
its a PPR, and I know, I know they are the worst, but I thought I could make it work.

here's a few pictures of my concerns:

-find a way to retain C trim tips (as they do not reach the grille)
(holes in grille too large)

-find way to reduce the bulge from C trim side clips
(is this common? I tried to some what flatten one clip before installing, but they are brittle and just break)

-correct direction for grate clip bow (up or down)

-Might have to go with glue

-YIKES :scared:...you're on your own there

-bow down

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015 - 11:35:30 AM »
You can try to use some heat on the plastic part, near the c clips , how ever doing anything on a painted grille will probably harm the paint and require a repaint.

Shame that is not a better quality

Offline lulurocks

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015 - 12:33:26 PM »
-Might have to go with glue

-YIKES :scared:...you're on your own there

-bow down

:iagree:

If  those raised areas will  flatted with hand pressure you can glue them in with high grade  clear adhesive silicone.

Custom cut paint stirrers , two -to lay flat , and one- to wedge softly  in an (I) fashion to hold the parts flat until the silicone dries,   Mask off all your paint sticks and painted and chrome parts .... So you dont gouge your work..

I use  this :

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0002UEPVI#customerReviews

At work to glue rubber trim to outdoor switchgear .  Use what you need not a glob , the silicone is a bear to clean up , streaks like hell.

Good luck ...

Offline culp71

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015 - 12:52:01 PM »
now that's some useful info, Ill do it just like that then. much appericated.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015 - 02:22:53 PM »
Does the C trim not snap down over those two raised areas on the inner part of the C ?
Seems like it should press down on those and the length would then be right to reach the ends of the C to the grill.   :clueless:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline culp71

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015 - 11:03:39 AM »
"If  those raised areas will  flatted with hand pressure you can glue them in with high grade  clear adhesive silicone."

the raised area wont even push in, very firm because its essentially the clip "tooth" that's bent at an angle, that's causing this material to bulge.  So last night I pulled all C trim back off, removed all C trim clips and cut/ bent the tooth flat, I plan to simple glue the clips into slot so they are not "opened" up at all, then ill glue in each tip of the trim, not the way I wanted but it should work OK.

"Does the C trim not snap down over those two raised areas on the inner part of the C ?"

no the C trim do not insert any further, but I believe my above remedy should at least remove bulged, sink trim in as far as it goes and retain the tips.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015 - 02:42:16 PM by culp71 »