Author Topic: Car is finally out of body shop-Now time for the questions  (Read 5829 times)

Offline DODGE1933

Car is finally out of body shop-Now time for the questions
« on: December 10, 2015 - 03:40:26 PM »
Hi all. Have not posted for a long time as I have been waiting for my TA's return. Now I have it back it and is time for reassembly. I have been scanning our site the last few months/years to get the information I need to correctly assemble my FM3 TA. It will never be an OE Gold car but a nicely restored  car that I will be able to drive. I have a pretty good idea on how it will go together but, there a few blanks in my plan and that is where I  will ask for and appreciate your help. First things first. I know this thread is no good without pictures. So the first couple of pics. is of us bringing it home this week. My body man is only about a mile away from the house so I wasn't worried about the blankets flaping around. We might have gotten up to thirty mph on the way home.

So my first questions are about the blackout/undercoating on the inside fender wells. I have the factory diagrams for the front of the car so I have no issues there. I know I have seen some information and pictures in the past somewhere about the rear fender wells. I have done a pretty good job of copying pictures and information but alas I have none showing the back. So first off does someone out there have any pictures of the location of the rear fender well blackout. Or if someone can give me a written description, I may be able to figure it out. Now the second item. Being as this is a TA there is a rear sway bar. My question is did the factory mount the sway bar before or after the blackout is applied. The last picture in this post shows my car at disassembly time and it makes me think the mounts were bolted in before blackout. It remember it was a pain to get the crud off the bolts at the time. I do realize there is a lot of dirt buildup after 45 years but in the picture it looks to me as under the first layer of dirt crud it looks black. So any help is again appreciated.

Mike

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Car is finally out of body shop-Now time for the questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015 - 05:30:36 PM »
The wheel wells were undercoated with a thick coating of undercoat, it's not referred to as "blackout" like the rad support that was only done with black paint.

The undercoat goes on top of everything like in your last picture :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015 - 05:58:37 PM »
 Check RestroRicks for the correct looking under coating.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015 - 07:35:57 PM »
great looking car...cant wait to see it finished!

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015 - 10:16:45 PM »
great looking car...cant wait to see it finished!

Ditto!
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline TelisSE440

Offline DODGE1933

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015 - 04:30:47 PM »
Thanks for the help and comments. Alan thanks for the clarification on the coating.  And 67vertman for the tip about RestroRicks. I'm still up in the air about what all gets covered on the back fender wells. Are the frame rails undercoated all the way, are the trunk floor extensions undercoated? thanks again for the help I have already received.

Mike

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015 - 05:48:07 PM »
They had like a "mask" that they held in place while spraying....This photo belongs to a good friend of mine :-*  showing before/after shots of a 70 Challenger.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline DODGE1933

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015 - 03:29:39 AM »
Thanks a bunch Alan, That's just what I needed for the front. Even more detail than the Chrysler service drawings I have.

Anything on the rear inner fender wells :horse: ?

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015 - 06:02:54 PM »
My T/A project is a bit further ahead of yours.  The shop that painted mine undercoated the wheelwells.  If anything, I think they went a little light compared to how I recall it before the car was stripped.  The fuel lines and brake lines are installed before the undercoating.  I even remember some undercoating on my original gas tank.
I think they went a little heavy on the red paint on the underneath of the trunk floor, I seem to recall there mainly being primer or dipping under the undercoating overspray and years of grime.
Note the pinch weld blackout, something often missed in restorations.  I think the shop went a little light compared to original on my car.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015 - 06:04:45 PM by JH27N0B »

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015 - 06:08:56 PM »
Don't forget the deck lid gets painted black in the area between the spoiler and the deck lid molding.  Something missed on a lot of T/A restorations and that sticks out like a sore thumb especially on a non-dark color car like my red or your FM3.  The area under the spoiler on the top of the quarter panels gets black decals.

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015 - 06:11:33 PM »
Not blacking out the radiator support really is apparent through the grille too, so don't forget that.

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015 - 06:24:13 PM »
Something I never noticed before on the A pillars, but apparently the shop knew there is a little blacked out area so you don't see the body color in the area between the black interior A pillar plastic and the windshield.

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015 - 07:32:39 PM »
JH27N0B, nice ride!
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015 - 08:15:40 PM »
The front leaf spring hanger bolt is going in the wrong direction...the nut should be on the outside :2cents:, otherwise ...beautiful work so far :2thumbs: