Author Topic: Car is finally out of body shop-Now time for the questions  (Read 5828 times)

Offline DODGE1933

Re: Car is finally out of body shop-Now time for the questions
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015 - 04:10:12 AM »
Great work I was not sure if the trunk extensions had undercoating on them or not. I was also not aware of the painting on the A pillars. Good stuff to know. Everything else looks about how I was going to do it. Thanks for the pics and good luck with the project. I will try and post some pics of mine when I get more progress on it.

Mike

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015 - 12:55:37 AM »
Here is another picture FWIW.  This is the underside of my car prior to restoration and for the most part untouched except for age and patina.  Not sure if anything valuable can be seen here, but some people can spot useful things where I just see rust and grime!

Offline 340challconvert

• A66- Challenger Registry
    • A66CHALLENGER.COM
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015 - 10:39:22 AM »
Fantastic job on your car.
Your information regarding undercoating wheel wells and front end blackout is very helpful.

I am finally working on my A66 Challenger convertible after being in storage since 1984. 
Just cleaned up the driver's side front wheel well and will rust proof, prime and undercoat.
Thanks for sharing your pics
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015 - 10:58:00 AM by 340challconvert »
1970 Challenger A66 Registry

Offline DODGE1933

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016 - 03:14:15 PM »
All right everyone for the assistance on my undercoating questions.
Now for the next series of stupid questions. Is there any difference in the shape of the 70 vs 72 fuel tank filler tube? The reason I ask is my filler tube is very corroded in the area of the tank gasket and the rest of it is pretty rough also. Vans has a replacement tube listed for a 72-74. My TA is a Cali car and is equipped with the ECS system. That requires a tube with no vents on it. I called Vans and the person I talked to had no idea if there was a difference or not. All they knew was what was listed in their catalog. Can anyone let me know if the 72-74 non vented tube work in my 70 or am I going to have to fix up mine the best I can?

I am not ready for these pieces yet but why wait. I have been searching for two small pieces I need on the peddle assemblies. First one is in the first picture. The small black plastic retainer to hold the wire connector to the clutch peddle safety switch.
In the second picture I need the small retainer that holds the spring back on the e-brake release lever. I have searched RT specialties, AMK, hardware stores in the area on line etc. no luck. Where are you guys getting these things or are you able to reuse the ones you have. Mine were MIA. Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016 - 03:35:53 PM »
The filler neck might be different in the area of the gas cap. You might require a 72+ gas cap :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline jhaag

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016 - 06:50:43 PM »
might check with brewers for the piece on the clutch pedal.  :dunno:
love 70 Challengers

Offline DODGE1933

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016 - 07:10:47 PM »
Thanks Alan. As I said before I am not building a perfect o.e. car so if the only difference is the cap and it will still fit under the flip top cover I'm in, thanks.
 And jhaag I feel so stupid. I did not check a transmission shop. I looked on Brewers web site and low and behold there it was. Apparently they have some used ones for sale. Witch leads me to believe they are not re-poped. No mater I will call them when they open back up after the holidays. I remember back in the day this was one of the first things we disconnected. That and the shiftier lockout rods. Thats why I don't have them now.

Thanks for all the help guys

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016 - 08:27:25 PM »
Nice car you have.

You're lucky you have the clutch safety switch on the pedal.
Those are so hard to find used.

Last time I recalled Brewers re builds them and doesn't offer them new.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline TelisSE440

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016 - 06:05:16 AM »
Darn... I have one too but it's the late '71 '74 style...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016 - 06:55:08 AM by TelisSE440 »

Offline Ifixmycarmyself

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016 - 04:51:36 PM »
Here is another picture FWIW.  This is the underside of my car prior to restoration and for the most part untouched except for age and patina.  Not sure if anything valuable can be seen here, but some people can spot useful things where I just see rust and grime!

Thanks for picture. Pics like this always comes handy when one tries to figure out things one has forgot   :)

Offline DODGE1933

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016 - 03:17:16 AM »
Well no questions today. Just a couple of pics of the undercoating and blackout areas we got done last weekend. Got a little carried away with some of the undercoating but it works for me. We also got the core support and deck lid painted. Next up drive train. Wait for the questions.

Offline TelisSE440

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016 - 06:57:47 AM »
I like the factory blackout areas. Although it needs a little preparation...

Offline DODGE1933

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016 - 04:32:16 PM »
Back on the gas filler tube issue. As it turns out after I cleaned up my old tube the best I could and painted it we tried to install the tank and tube and it will not bolt up to the quarter (see picture). This makes sense because that quarter had to be replaced and the damage was near the gas filler. Upon closer examination of the filler neck it is kinked near the bottom where it bolts up to the quarter. It is right near the top seam and I just know if I try and straighten it, it will crack. I think it is leaded there. So now it is not an issue of I would like to replace the tube. I now have to replace it for sure. So if anyone has one for a 70 with no vent tube, as I have the ECS system, I could sure use your help. Thanks in advance.

Mike