How to insulate or soundproof roof??

Author Topic: How to insulate or soundproof roof??  (Read 8551 times)

Offline glovemeister

Re: How to insulate or soundproof roof??
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015 - 01:08:48 PM »
Mat on the ceiling is known to sag with heat. The ceiling/roof sees very high temperatures and it is hard to find an adhesive that does good.
1971 Challenger RT

Offline cordodge

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015 - 03:27:51 PM »
Mat on the ceiling is known to sag with heat. The ceiling/roof sees very high temperatures and it is hard to find an adhesive that does good.

Do you know what brand sags?
1970 challenger 95% done
1969 roadrunner in progress
1969 D-100 13,000 mile truck
1969 L-700 tilt cab in progress
2007  Dodge Ram 4x4
2017 hyundia Santa fe ultimate
1977 VERY UNDERSTANDING WIFE !! 😇

Offline 69CHARGERMD

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015 - 07:04:21 PM »
Hopefully mine won't have any issues. The3M adhesive seems pretty strong.
1970 Challenger WSS
1969 Charger RT/SE
1965 Belvedere

Offline EbodyMod

• Will it ever be finished????
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015 - 07:49:04 PM »
 :wavingflag: I plan on using lizard skin sound control and then the ceramic heat over the top. It is pricey but seems to work great
:wavingflag:  Quit being offended by everything, I am sure you are doing something that upsets me, but I am not complaining about you!!! It is a free county get over yourself!

Offline Archialfa

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2015 - 02:29:04 AM »
What about this material they're using in this video to insulate the floor and roof?

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/DM2015-14/challenger-challenges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 Challenger 440 Magnum

Build thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=113902

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015 - 01:06:03 PM »
:wavingflag: I plan on using lizard skin sound control and then the ceramic heat over the top. It is pricey but seems to work great

I did Lizard Skin once, I won't do it again... it doesn't spray very well & it's hard to get anywhere close to uniform coverage.....
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline crash340

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015 - 05:04:10 PM »
Does the interior of the roof sweat?? I have noticed on my cuda that there seems to be some light rust 'runs' on the original bare metal, its not around the windows from leaking seals but on the panel, we know how the inside of the glass sweats, so will that cause an issue with adheasive?
Greg

73 Cuda
Brisbane, Australia

Offline EbodyMod

• Will it ever be finished????
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015 - 06:04:39 PM »
I did Lizard Skin once, I won't do it again... it doesn't spray very well & it's hard to get anywhere close to uniform coverage.....
:wavingflag: did you use their gun? I did on the floors and trunk and inner 1/4 and using the 90 degree tip and I had no issues with it
:wavingflag:  Quit being offended by everything, I am sure you are doing something that upsets me, but I am not complaining about you!!! It is a free county get over yourself!

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2015 - 06:29:13 PM »
:wavingflag: did you use their gun? I did on the floors and trunk and inner 1/4 and using the 90 degree tip and I had no issues with it

I have done two  cars with lizard skin ,worked great ,easy clean up  with just water and a bucket you HAVE  to use their gun and here are my before and after vids

Before was loud enough to get the dogs going,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGoW44bvINQ

After, big difference, noticeable thud to all panels even  the inside of the doors, and yes the insulation from the heat is alot  better :2thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skz131QOkXk

Offline glovemeister

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2015 - 01:22:01 PM »
Does the interior of the roof sweat?? I have noticed on my cuda that there seems to be some light rust 'runs' on the original bare metal, its not around the windows from leaking seals but on the panel, we know how the inside of the glass sweats, so will that cause an issue with adheasive?

There is humidity and breathing inside the car, so that would rise resulting in humidity on the ceiling.

As far as the earlier poster. I believe what I have heard sagging was "duct wrap" or that "asphalt roofing sheet with aluminized foil."

Also the regular 3M spray adhesive, 66 I think, is known to not have the best super high heat properties. IIRC there is a better variant from 3m that is more expensive and ultra reliable with heat.

Don't quote me on that though. As a whole I would think 3M would be the only brand of adhesive I would use on the ceiling.
1971 Challenger RT

Offline 70 Grand Coupe

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2015 - 11:51:33 PM »
I installed the NOICO sound deadener up to the jute pad and heater box. They were already installed, didn't want the hassle to pull everything just to instal sound deadener.

Darcy

Offline 360FISH

• BS23H3B567746
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016 - 01:27:24 AM »
I installed the NOICO sound deadener up to the jute pad and heater box. They were already installed, didn't want the hassle to pull everything just to instal sound deadener.

Darcy
Darcy,
I'm looking closely at Noico...  have you had a chance to drive the car with it installed?  What do you think?
I was thinking of installing a layer of jute between the Noico and the carpet...  over kill?

This thread is perfect timing for my build.  Thanks guys!
1973 ‘Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to ’72 offset

Build: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=74674.0

Offline 70 Grand Coupe

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016 - 11:31:29 AM »
Actually I just test drove the car yesterday. Bear in mind, I do not have the door panels installed because I am waiting for my rubber window down stops. So with that in mind, you may remember in the pic on page 1 of this post, I did the inside of the door skin, and I will finish with another layer of sound deadener in lieu of the plastic OEM vapour barrier which I did on the rear quarter windows. Results:  :wow:. Even with the doors not complete, it was incredible results. I am not too picky regarding the added weight it adds to the car, which in my estimate is approx 40-50lbs. I am very please with the results and unequivocally recommend the NOICO SOUND DEADENER.

I purchased it because it was about half price of the HUSHMAT and DYNAMAT. As you may know, NOICO will send you a swatch of DYNAMAT along with you order to compare and they're identical. Hope this helps. Good luck!

P.S. my carpet came with jute pad already glued on the underside.

TIP: I USED AN ICE PICK TOOL AND POKED MY FRONT SEAT HOLES UP THROUGH THE BOTTOM OF THE SEAT PAN. I THEN TOOK A SOLDERING PEN AND MELTED THE CARPET/JUTE PAD AROUND THE ICE PICK TOOL UNTIL IT FELL OUT AND MADE THE HOLE THE SAME DIAMETER AS THE SEAT MOUNTING BOLTS. TOOK A LITTLE FINESE AND A FEW CHOICE WORDS, BUT IT WORKED WELL TO GET THOSE FRONT SEATS IN.  :swear:

Hope you don't mind, but I added a pic of my big fish. First time I drove her ever, was yesterday............SWEET! :droolingbounce:

Darcy

:canada:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016 - 01:28:18 PM by 70 Grand Coupe »

Offline 69CHARGERMD

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016 - 05:07:45 PM »
Darcy,
Car looks great !!
Did you do your roof as well ?
How does your car sound inside ? nice and quiet ?

I did my floors,,,doors,,,and roof skin
Car already sounds more "solid" when i shut the doors or rap on the ceiling of the car,,,,

Doug
1970 Challenger WSS
1969 Charger RT/SE
1965 Belvedere

Offline 70 Grand Coupe

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016 - 06:43:06 PM »
Hi Doug,

10-4, I did the floors, door and rear quarter skins, roof, back rest etc. I used 3M adhesive for the headliner insulation to adhere to the NOICO deadener mat. I just covered my drivers door today in lieu of the vapour barrier, so I have the double sound deadener for each door and rear quarters.

Its quite a dramatic change with how well it almost eliminates road noise. Nice muffled sound, no twangy/hollow sound anymore. I am quite impressed.

Thanks Doug, Ciao for now.

Darcy