Author Topic: 71 cuda grille /fender gap  (Read 3137 times)

Offline culp71

71 cuda grille /fender gap
« on: December 22, 2015 - 01:40:39 PM »
what is the correct step to take when it comes to the gap on the sides of the grille to fender space.
if I recall I have seen unrestored cuda that have this, so where they like this from the factory a lot?
should it be painted flat black, or filled or left alone?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: 71 cuda grille /fender gap
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015 - 03:38:10 PM »
Left alone :2cents: 

If anything, loosen the two bolts on each fender that connect to the rad support. using a ratchet strap between the two fenders, try and draw the fenders in. Your lower valance will need to flex, hope it would crack the paint. Also, if the grill is attached to each fender, you might want to loosen that as well. Personally...I would just leave it alone. bumper covers most of it. :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline crocha617

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015 - 04:21:02 PM »
I agree with Alan it is in your fender install. You might be able to close it up a bit by loosening your front fender bolts, grille, and maybe your center valance bolts. It also may turn out badly.

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015 - 04:33:43 PM »
     Are the fenders, valance and grill original parts or aftermarket. ???   Personally I couldn't live with that.  Just sayin. 

:rebel:

Offline rhamson

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015 - 10:58:43 AM »
Was this ever dry fitted? I notice the hood to fender gap looks especially tight. Is the other side the same? There is a very noticeable gap between the chrome molding low at the fender as well. I agree with Allan that maybe the lower valance can be pulled in at the bottom which will result in the valance bulging down. Hopefully the plastic molding will bulge with it. But I would work on that hood to fender clearance also before you chip any paint. Even with the bumper in front of it I would still work it a little more but then again I am a little anal with these things and overdo everything I touch. :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015 - 11:02:05 AM by rhamson »

Offline crocha617

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015 - 08:37:55 AM »
Was this ever dry fitted? I notice the hood to fender gap looks especially tight. Is the other side the same? There is a very noticeable gap between the chrome molding low at the fender as well. I agree with Allan that maybe the lower valance can be pulled in at the bottom which will result in the valance bulging down. Hopefully the plastic molding will bulge with it. But I would work on that hood to fender clearance also before you chip any paint. Even with the bumper in front of it I would still work it a little more but then again I am a little anal with these things and overdo everything I touch. :bigsmile:

That's not the hood that is the front header panel and it should be tight. There's no hood issue visible in the picture. You must be a challenger guy..... :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015 - 08:39:58 AM by crocha617 »

Offline rhamson

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015 - 09:03:54 AM »
That's not the hood that is the front header panel and it should be tight. There's no hood issue visible in the picture. You must be a challenger guy..... :bigsmile:
You are correct and I am wrong I am a Challenger guy.    :eek2:  Is the fender misshaped around the chrome at the top or is it the other way around? If that is the case it will never come back together unless some panel bending needs to happen.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015 - 09:06:23 AM by rhamson »

Offline culp71

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016 - 11:16:01 AM »
so did they black this part out originally or just leave it yellow?

I want to black it out as it jumps out currently, but if that's how they were Ill leave it.
I just don't want to get it done , and then have a real cuda expert make a comment that it
should be black or body color or what ever.
as these grilles aren't just easy to remove, I want to make it right before everything is fastened in.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016 - 11:18:30 AM by culp71 »

Offline TelisSE440

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016 - 11:55:06 AM »
I believe it should be left alone, too much work to start reattach the fenders along with the valance panel for that minor alignment ...

Offline AARTA340

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016 - 02:03:46 PM »
I had a similar gap but it was on a 71 Challenger. Not identical but the same basic problem, the fender/valance were not adjusted correctly.  I have to agree with Alan on this one,inner fender bolts on the rad support need to be loosened and then slack off the bolts on the valance at the frame rail. This will allow the valance to bow forward ever so slightly and thus narrowing the gap on the left fender/grill. Bolts from valance to fender need loosened too. If you look at the space on the grill it is almost the same distance as the gap on the valance to the fender. The left fender needs to basically roll/shift the lower part of the fender inward which should eliminate most of the gap. Go slow and small steps, the valance should bend without cracking the paint, but better done in warmer environment, paint will be more flexible. I caught mine before it was painted. Hope this helps, it would bug me too.  :cheers:

Nice looking car, by the way.  :drool:

Offline mopar jack

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016 - 04:07:11 PM »
I found the gap in mine was caused by the valance. With the valance off the fender and grill matched up tight but when I installed the valance it spread the fenders outward.

Offline mofish

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016 - 06:27:56 PM »
I found the gap in mine was caused by the valance. With the valance off the fender and grill matched up tight but when I installed the valance it spread the fenders outward.

Anybody else have this?