Author Topic: Body panels  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Jack Barnes

Body panels
« on: December 27, 2015 - 10:06:49 AM »
I need a new rear quarter, can anyone rate all the different suppliers. Thanks I don't want to buy trash but also don't want to spend more than needed. I'm original owner looking to make a nice driver.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Body panels
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015 - 10:40:01 AM »
But AMD products and you won't be disappointed :2thumbs: Contact David at Roseville Moparts :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline rhamson

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015 - 11:56:14 AM »
 :iagree:

Offline lulurocks

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015 - 04:55:19 PM »
 :iagree:

Get what you pay for ... I went amd all the way and was very satified,  nothing is a drop on part.

All parts will require fitment , and test fitting, the amd stuff was pretty spot on..

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015 - 05:23:18 PM »
 :iagree:  ONLY AMD!  Otherwise you will get cheap chinese crap and regret it.

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015 - 05:25:54 PM »
:iagree:  ONLY AMD!  Otherwise you will get cheap chinese crap and regret it.

:iagree:    Yep.      What he said.  If you go cheap in the begining you will regret it.   :2cents:

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015 - 09:25:19 PM »
I have both a Goodmark and AMD rear valance.  Big difference between the two. AMD has thicker metal, better stamp lines, and better EDP.  Just keep in mind that most aftermarket panels will need some amount of work.
- Jerry

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015 - 10:16:15 PM »
To be fair to every supplier- even the AMD stuff is stamped in China and it says so right on the box somewhere. I, also, bought AMD and they told me that the tooling is US made and used in their Taiwan stamping plant. As mentioned, not even their stuff falls on, either. Still a better, heavier gauge product I think.  :cheers:

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015 - 01:09:03 AM »
I went through this same (yet somewhat different) thing, I originally bought Goodmark 1/2 quarters and then later decided given the amount of work and money I had into the car, the car deserved full quarters. I looked at Goodmark and AMD at a show and talked to a number of people; to me the AMD were far better in overall quality. Every professional builder I have talked to recommends AMD. I have good mark fenders (because AMD were not available) and I can tell there is a difference in thickness and overall quality. All that said, Goodmark are not super terrible, just not as good. You will spend more time fitting and straightening the Goodmark I believe. I have not put a lot of quarters on, however I will say up front that it isn't a quick job, you need to spend a lot of time fitting, trimming, etc. I think I test fit each side at least a dozen times to make sure it was as good as it could be and I am sure I was still premature a little.

The guys who do this for a living on here are better judges as they have most likely seen both up close, but my vote is obviously AMD.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline A.Gramz

• In over my head!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015 - 04:58:39 PM »
I bought Goodmark floor and firewall.  Car is low option just going to be a nice driver.  Underneath the Goodmark stickers is a sticker from a company in Taiwan chl. http://www.chlautoparts.com.tw   I wounder if amd is stamped in Taiwan too ?
73 Challenger
Ontario Canada

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015 - 06:17:13 PM »
I bought Goodmark floor and firewall.  Car is low option just going to be a nice driver.  Underneath the Goodmark stickers is a sticker from a company in Taiwan chl. http://www.chlautoparts.com.tw   I wounder if amd is stamped in Taiwan too ?

Check my previous comment for an answer and wonder no more.  :cheers:

Offline Ifixmycarmyself

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016 - 05:55:39 PM »
I prefer the AMD mostly due to to thickness and the crispy stamping. However it seems necessary to do some adjustments anyhow. Thats maybe because there was some tolerances at factory assembly. I compared four different car while doing the last quarter panel replacement, all 70', and measures are at least 1/4 off, one from the other in some location in trunk area. it means nothing fits perfectly because what you fit it to, isn't 100% correct from start. At factory assembly they seem to have used a lot of seam sealer, putty and so on. On some spots seam sealer covers 1/2" holes between panels/wheelhouse/trunk extension etc.

Anyone has any opinion on factory tolerances?? what about you ANLAUTO any idea?

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016 - 10:13:18 PM »
"Anyone has any opinion on factory tolerances??"- Hahaha! You're damn right I do, but this is a nice forum and I'll leave the cursin' to others. Suffice it to be said, that in the 7 years I worked at a GM store, and wondered how the idiots in Kentucky built Corvettes with boxing gloves and eye shades on, it seems that the ones they fired for poor build quality, from the Vette plant, emigrated up north to Hamtramck and built Challengers! On my car, documented with photos and measurements, the rt trunk extension was 3/4" lower than the main trunk floor, AND the wad of sealer that I dug out of the car, would choke a grizzly. They put a spot weld right in the middle of one of the vent flares in the rocker panel, you can slide your hand between the bottom of the door and the rocker, and so on and so on. Part of the reason these cars are so hard to rebuild, is that you're fixing somebody else's screw-ups and you'll just have to get used to it unfortunately. Good luck.  :cheers:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016 - 10:22:48 PM »
Yea...I agree...these things were never perfect to begin with. I have Keith Sim do all my metal work, and he's a big fan of AMD sheet metal. :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com