Help in the purchase 70 R/T

Author Topic: Help in the purchase 70 R/T  (Read 5123 times)

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
Help in the purchase 70 R/T
« on: June 02, 2005 - 06:01:23 PM »
Thanks to this board it looks like I have found the 70 Challenger R/T I have been looking for

with matching # 383 motor.727 auto and correct FC7 code paint, white vinyl top. Black leather interior,(thats unusal) and am/fm stereo radio with thumb controls. Story goes This   two-owner car was purchased in 1993 by this owner after sitting in a farmer's barn, driven into the garage and parked for 6 years.  Being a California car, rust is isolated only to the trunk and surface areas in the trunk. This might look famillar as this was a car Bondavi was looking at before he bought his from this same owner.

I have been talking with the owner and we have narrowed down the price 7-8K. Her's my problem. I am in Ohio and plan a trip out to CA on the 14th,15th and 16th of June for business and to look over the car. I have every intention of buying this car but still want a look see before I do.

How do I settle up with the owner? as I will not be taking the car with me but will need to arrange transporting as the car does not run in current condition and it would be a long drive if it did. Do I offer a down payment to show my intentions? If so how much? I can't giive him all the money annd then walk away hoping he remembers me in a couple weeks when I come back to get the car. Down payment and escrow?

Any ideas appreciated I'm sure these long distant purchases have been done before.
Any thought on the car also appreciated. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Btch n Blue

Re: Help in the purchase 70 R/T
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005 - 06:11:18 PM »
Why doesn't it run? :dontknow: Sure looks like it could.... :dontknow:

Good find man!! :beer:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005 - 06:19:49 PM »
Looks like that car has potential!!  Yep . . . sweet find!!     :thumbs:   :grinyes:  :grinno:  ;D  ;D  :grinno:  :grinyes:

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005 - 06:28:20 PM »
Ask the seller what it would take to make sure the car is yours and then write up a little contract saying that you have the intention of buying it, but need to arrange shipment before you pay the whole price. Then take the contract and the seller to the bank and get it all notorized, so you have proof. The seller should be willing to do this, especially if you give him a good down payment. BTW, where abouts are you in Ohio???
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005 - 07:23:38 PM »
where abouts are you in Ohio???

Toledo
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005 - 07:37:03 PM »
Buy the car, rent a storage unit in that town/area and have the car towed there, store the car there, when you can arrange shipment/pick up it will be there for you with no worries.

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005 - 07:42:42 PM »
a big block 70 in a high imapct colro w/ rallye dash power brakes,3spd wiper. for 7k Your stealing that car

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005 - 08:01:01 PM »
looks like a good buy!

I would settle up and remove the car ASAP! Either hire a transport company or rent a storage unit till you can make the trip to haul it back yourself. Don't forget u-haul has car trailers.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005 - 08:16:36 PM »
 :iagree:

At that price, dont play around....get it in your possession ASAP.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005 - 08:21:03 PM »
 :iagree: Emphatically!!!!
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005 - 09:04:11 PM »
I would have to agree with everyone who said to rent a storage unit and get that car out of that guys hands.  You are getting one sweet deal!  Best of luck to you.  If you dont want the car I call first dibs!!!! LOL

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005 - 09:21:45 PM »
TropCat! Do you need assistance? i live here in the Bay Area. I can check it out for you.....And  NO!!!  I wouldn't even dream of stealing your car underneath you. If it's within 3 Hrs. of Oakland, PM me and I can if you want, be of help.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005 - 10:32:05 PM »
Toledo

I went to UT last year, I likedToledo and its a decent city but it all depends where you're at. I might be going back in a year and half, it all depends if I can find a job or not. Anyhow, I live in Lorain, which is about 90 miles east of you. If you need any help with anything, just ask.....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Bondavi

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005 - 10:37:21 PM »
Why doesn't it run? :dontknow: Sure looks like it could.... :dontknow:

Old gas, old oil, old coolant.....all that needs to be flushed out before the car is started. Remember it has been sitting for 9 years.

I heard it ran fine before being parked, but needed a carb rebuild at the time. Good enough for me.  :thumbs:

I'll be picking up my 6pak car this Saturday so I will take pics of the 383 for you, TropCats.
David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005 - 07:28:36 AM »
Congrats Tropicats..........well some members have offered to take pics............if you go thru with this, have them take a number of pics.........heck 20 or better......take pics of the trunk, fenderwells, dash, and underdash, but this car is similiar to one I purchased and paid more.........   I bought my car, having only seen pics of it.   I wouldnt recommend that to all people.    But sometimes you get a feel for the individual your buying it from......do you get a feeling he is a man of some integrity.....   I would send him as little as possible, to limiit your risk..........along with a small written contract that notes this payment is in good faith for him to hold the car for you until you are able to physically view the car, and (is) refundable if you refuse the car once seen.    Golly I wish you well, its a good car, big block, 70 model, and hi impact color......unless there is something greatly amiss ...this is a bargan....   :beer: