where it all started??

Author Topic: where it all started??  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
where it all started??
« on: June 02, 2005 - 07:57:26 PM »
Hey guys and gals i just wanted to start a thread and ask a series of question! Where did your passion for muscle cars start? How old where you?? What was your first muscle/old car? was you always a mopar nut? etc!! this should be fun! Il go first!

It all started when i was about 3 memerys of my dads 72 charger!! I really got into it when i was about 10 watching nash bridges i fell in love with cudas!! My first car was a 75 dodge dart swinger still gotter!! And Yes iv always been die hard MOPAR!!! now its yall turn!!  :beer:
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: where it all started??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005 - 08:21:15 PM »
Ummmmm  I grew up in a Ferd Family since dad was an engineer at the plant in Detroit.  So all we ever had in the driveway was Ferd.  Everything else was Brand X.  I guess I started liking muscle cars in highschool but the first MOPAR that got my blood going was the one I bought in 1982 and resides in the garage.  23 years I have owned that car now . . . dammn!   Hard to believe its 32 years old now and the convert is 35!   :worship:   :worship:   :worship:   :eekbig:  :eekbig:  :eekbig:  :ack:   :laughing:

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005 - 09:09:56 PM »
My parents bought me matchbox cars & favorite was a '69 Charger. There was also a brand new '68 or '69 Charger that used to park in my neighborhood when I was a kid. (104th St off Broadway in NYC) I thought it was a race car & loved it. That & a '69 style Mach I that was red with black louvers & black stripe. I don't recall any details, I was only about 7 years old.

As I got older, I ended up with a couple of Daytona slot cars that also became favorites. I had no idea as a kid they were based on real cars, & not until I was 16 when I saw one in a magazine that looked insane. When I got my license & was looking for my first car, I was seriously looking at a '68 Coronet but ended up buying a '69 Caddy Hearse instead. (It was more practical, trust me.)

I sold the Hearse a year later & snagged my first in a long, long line of Mopars. A '69 Charger SE with a 383-4V. It was repainted in red from a bronze, black vinyl roof & a tan leatjer interior. It was addictive going fast & can't wait to put my '68 back together. The '71 Cuda has always been a favorite, & mine will be a while before I start on it.

There's a few other makes I like, but 9 out of 10 favorites are Mopars. The only non Mopar would be a '55 Chevy.
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline 69ChargerRT

• Administrator
  • Resident
  • Its the car, right? Chicks love the car. - Batman
    • Daisy - My 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005 - 09:39:51 PM »
i grew up with 2 cars.  i was far too young at the time to understand cars, but i knew these two were something special. 

obviously:

and one the mopar community wont appreciate, but nevertheless had a huge impact on me, my fathers early 80s resto project:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005 - 09:42:11 PM by 69ChargerRT »

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005 - 10:14:08 PM »
My best friend kind of started it for me.  When he was 17 he got a 70 1/2 white Camaro, 350 auto and he had a buddy with a 79 red TA with tee tops and a 400 sb.  Both cars were awesome.  Especially since I was 13 at the time.  My parents were really cool about things and I got to go out with them all the time.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005 - 10:43:23 PM »
  Through the old Matchbox, then Hot Wheels, then H.O. slot cars from age 8 thru 13 or 14. Still have all my old ones and even the slot car track in Brooklyn my buddies and i used to walk to a couple of miles each way, Buzz-A-Rama, is still in business :grinyes: :grinyes:
  First car was a 4dr 64 Comet during high school. Six months after graduating in 76, Dad co-signed on the Challenger Rallye on top in my avatar.  54 k miles for $2500 on the used car lot. Although there've been other makes sprinkled throughout, it's the Mopars that most grab my attention :guitar:   
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005 - 10:44:54 PM »
My dad is a pretty big gearhead, he always use to go to local car shows and whatnot, so I eventually started taking a liking to cars. At first I liked 57 Chebbies and 32-34 Fords/Chevy/Mopars, but after a little while I started inquiring about the challenger that was sitting in the garage since I was born. I started reading all the old Mopar magazines that my dad had and found out that Mopars are very unique compared to fords and chevys'. When my dad said that the challenger was mine my passion for cars, especially Mopars, really blew up and here I am today......
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005 - 10:51:52 PM »
My family has been mopar for a while you  could say I guess.  my family came to the best country in the world from Germany in the 1840's to Chelse and then my greatgrandfather  around 1904 was a bussiness partner with a small automotive company    The Welch Brothers most of you probably all have never heard of them. but you love a idea that they were the first to make, a hemispherical motor that had an overhead cam shaft. this company didnt last and pontiac bought there machinery.

Growing up my father had a 75 dodge 100 with a 318 and a 727 (and a gm but i wont hold that against him) then he traded that in for a 87 plymouth voyager , he still has it in the garage  :ack: also owning a 85 newyorker 5th ave 318, the boat I learned to drive in an take my test. passed first time with 5 hours behind the wheel.  Then during HS my best friends grandparents gave him the family car since the late 60's a 66 polara 6 passanger wagon 383 4bbl 727 car and my other friend inherited from his parents a 225 904 dart custom 4dr.    after spending summer with my mother in montana  I acuired a truck it has some problems so they brought me another one that christmas a 77 dodge 150 318 727 long bed 4x2, a mustang killed that and allstate gave me 1500, that same summer my dad bought me a 74 dart se 4dr 318 904 for 150 thAT i stupid parted out. the next year I bought a 65 barracuda with some front end damage for 950 I replaced the front bushings from pst 360.00 and a new grill , fender and hood and later a bumper.sold that for a loss for 1750 that is when were I found this site when I had that car for sale.

A buddy at work 4/01 said his girlfriend aka crack hore has A challenger for sale, I told him I didnt have enough money for an e body but when he repled she said 1000 and he told me 750 I owned it a few short days (long) later and thats now for sale.  also through the year acuired a 83 lebaron markcross convertible 2.6 mitz and my current driver a 96 dodge 1500 club cab 4x2 5.2 np3500.

other mopars in my life, not mine-  81 plymouth voyager 15 pass 360 727 went to 410 stroked and burnt.   an 82 /6 od 833 1/2 ton van, 68 barracuda 318 904, 96 pace truck factory 275hp 5.9 518, 2001 2500 cummins 4x4 with chips and 38's, 2001 4.7 dakota 4x4 with 35's, and a 99 RT 5.9 dakota. jeeps cheerkes 5.2 and 5.9's , stratus, neons,   odd dodge trucks from 70's, 68 fury convertible.        nothing to kill over but life in mopar land is good.
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005 - 12:20:49 AM »
I've been a car nut as long as I can remember.....  When I was 3, my favorite toy was a little 1/64th scale General Lee.... wow, that was 17 years ago....  The show might have still been on, at that time.....  Anyway, I really don't know what first got me started.  Maybe I was just born this way? :dontknow:

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005 - 12:25:56 AM »
ridin in grandpa's 64 superstock when i was a lil guy! :burnout:
nothin like a 426MW to get ya hooked! :drool:
i actually love sweptline trucks and small blocks though.................. :thumbs:

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005 - 07:33:55 AM »
and one the mopar community wont appreciate, but nevertheless had a huge impact on me, my fathers early 80s resto project:

Not totaly true  :laughing: if it wasn't for my uncles ( and there love for Chevy ) I would have missed out on much of my influence.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005 - 12:04:15 PM »
Back in 69 or 70, I became obsessed with Hot Wheels. I had the biggest collection of Hot Wheels in the neighborhood. Some of these I would love to have back. Some of these here are worth a ton of money.
70 corvette(it debued in 69 before the actual car came out) then was recalled for a short period. Value is astronomical now.
The VW van with the surfboards
and were my all time favorites then...The Snake and Mongoose funny cars.
I must of had 200-300 Hot Wheels and such.

Time jump.
Switch to 76. My friend got a 67 Mustang right when my folks bought the 71.
He started doing stuff to it.
That's when Mopar fever hit me. I wanted to fix up mom's car.
They gave me the 71 in 78 as a Grad present. I still own it.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005 - 01:20:30 PM »
My father was always a Mopar man, but slant 6's and 318's. I had the usual collection of Hot Wheels and Matchboxes, then moving up to models, I must have built a 100 of them, and still do occasionally. Just really loved the new 70 cudas when they came out, and when my Mom needed a car in 1974, I talked my parents into a 1970 Barracuda Grande Coupe with a slant 6 in it...it became my first car when I got my license in 1976! (I love it when a plan comes together!)

Eighty-Six Mopars later here I am...71 472 hemicuda clone, 74 Cuda 360, 2000 Ram 2500 CTD 4X4, and my wifes car is a 2000 Intrepid R/T. I've had a LOT of nice Mopars over the years, and certainly some i wish i still had, but thats life and family responsibilities come first.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005 - 01:22:54 PM by hemi71 »

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005 - 01:57:52 PM »
for me it was in late 69. I had a pretty hot 289 ford as my first car and at that point I didnt care what kind of car I had as long as it was a 4 speed and quick. Then one night while driving around our local "loop"  I heard this sound that I couldnt get out of my head then saw the sound maker ....a sharp 69 440 road runner. Up to that point I never even cared about mopars (weren't hardly any around here ). I watched as that roadrunner was hustling races from stop light to stop lite and NOTHING was even coming close to taking it. And those cat-eye exhaust tips just made it look that much better . 3 days later I took my ford and my mother (I was only 16 at the time so needed her to sign for it ) down to the local plymouth dealer and traded it in on a 69 - 383  4speed RR. Ralleye green w/white vinyl top and interior .....gorgeous to my young eyes . But actually I would have taken any RR they had just lucky enuff it was in my favorite color. It has been mopar for me ever since