Author Topic: New trans. couple of question  (Read 2106 times)

Offline 73BB440

New trans. couple of question
« on: June 04, 2005 - 10:06:18 AM »
I installed my new TCI super street fighter last night. I was all set and ready to take my baby for a ride around the block for the first time then i caught a snag.

The yolk on the drive shaft has one fatter spline and the tail shaft on the trans. does not. So the driveshaft will not go all the way into the trans. Will a drive shaft yolk out any chrysler with a 727 bolt up to my driveshaft? Also what years had all uniform splines?

my other question is am i able to run the car with out a kickdown linkage. The trans is a manual/auto valve body. If i shift through the gears is there is a need for a kickdown? Or will it burn out my tranny?
Mopar or no car

Btch n Blue

Re: New trans. couple of question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005 - 10:39:29 AM »
As far as your yoke question, not sure... :dontknow:

If you strickly have a manual valve body, then yes, you're fine without a kickdown...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005 - 11:27:19 PM »
you can use a different yolk from a 727 tranny with no problem , the only thing to watch is the  U joint size , there were 2 the smaller 7260 2 1/8 " inside & the 7290 2 5/8" inside
 yOu need a kickdown even if you shift the gears yourself unless the valave body is full manual & will NOT shift on it`s own

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73BB440

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005 - 10:23:35 AM »
thanks for the info. would anoyone happen to have said yoke and said kickdown cable for my car? 
Mopar or no car

Btch n Blue

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005 - 11:52:46 AM »
Buy a Lokar kickdown cable... call up Summit... :thumbs:

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005 - 11:33:11 PM »
Buy a Lokar kickdown cable... call up Summit... :thumbs:

And don't forget to get the Lokar cable bracket too! :thumbs:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 73BB440

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005 - 11:44:05 PM »
thanks for the info guys. Actually before I read this i did just that i ordered one from jegs with the bracket :thumbs:

Also gave a try at the driveshaft again. It went in it usual 4 inches then i tapped it with a block of wood. not anhialting it just tapping and slowly it went in. Went ahead and bolted it up and everything roatated smoothly :beer:

all i need to do now i swait on my kickdown and then lay down some rubber :driving:
Mopar or no car

Offline greengochallenger

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005 - 08:46:37 PM »
Cool, it sounds like a burr that was inside the yoke. if you got it in even a little before u tapped it, you should be ok. Dont forget the slip space between the end of the seal and the yoke!