Author Topic: Rust holes  (Read 2069 times)

Offline money pit

Rust holes
« on: January 21, 2016 - 06:27:17 AM »
I have a 73 challenger that originally had a vinyl top. I noticed that on each side of the rear window (under the moulding)  there are holes that rusted through, about 1/4 inch. When it rains the trunk fills with water. I temporarily filled these holes with silicon sealer. How can I permanently fill these holes. Can I use Bondo that has the fiberglass fibers?  Thanks

Money Pit

Offline dougs bs23

Re: Rust holes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016 - 07:39:50 AM »
Under the molding could be the molding clips that bolt on. If not replacing the top I'd clean or cut out the bad metal and weld them shut. Bonding could gather moisture and eventually bubble up then you'd be doing it again in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016 - 11:10:31 PM »
Actually, if you used a good quality panel bond adhesive, you could prep the bottom of the panel where the holes are and butter a patch piece of 18ga and apply it from underneath. Let it goosh up through the rot hole and when hard, sand it off, skin coat the top with short fiber fibreglass filler and sand off everything that doesn't look like a roof or 1/4 panel. Not terribly elegant, but it cures the problem and you don't have to be a welder to do it. Just my  :2cents:

Offline DetroitMuscle

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016 - 11:37:41 PM »
Can you post some photos? just like to see how bad the problem is.
2005 Copperhead Viper
1972 Corvette
1968 AMC Javelin
1968 Firebird 400

Offline money pit

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016 - 05:23:56 AM »
I'll send some pictures so it will be a little easier to understand where the holes are. Thanks

Offline rhamson

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016 - 12:18:59 PM »
I have a 73 challenger that originally had a vinyl top. I noticed that on each side of the rear window (under the moulding)  there are holes that rusted through, about 1/4 inch. When it rains the trunk fills with water. I temporarily filled these holes with silicon sealer. How can I permanently fill these holes. Can I use Bondo that has the fiberglass fibers?  Thanks

Money Pit

Is the car finished? If not and the window is removed I would suggest replacing the metal. I was surprised at what I found underneath the paint in this area. Here are a few pics of what it looked like with the paint and after I striped it to metal. It was full of bondo as the fix. I ran across a bunch of this stuff.

Offline DetroitMuscle

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016 - 11:33:51 PM »
You would be surprise how much rust can be under paint and body filler. I'm a big fan of just replacing the metal.
2005 Copperhead Viper
1972 Corvette
1968 AMC Javelin
1968 Firebird 400

Offline rhamson

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016 - 08:36:28 AM »
 :iagree: