Author Topic: 1970 Challenger - reattaching the roof  (Read 5234 times)

Offline BAM

• www.FindCyprus.org
Re: 1970 Challenger - reattaching the roof
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016 - 02:26:04 PM »
I know the Greek answer to their request... Anyway, ask the guy you have now, how much he would take, to do the whole thing.

he would need 5000 for the whole thing except sandblasting and paint

Offline BAM

• www.FindCyprus.org
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016 - 02:27:55 PM »
I was thinking about doing some bodywork myself but i don`t really have the time and I`m scare to learn this on my own car :)

if i can get the measurements i think it shouldn`t be a bit problem realigning the structure

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016 - 04:26:43 PM »
Jesus, that's ugly! Can you clarify what you're changing here? Have you only got a roof skin or do you have another used roof assembly? If you don't have another assembly, after welding in some angle iron across the door openings and down to the rocker, I'd drill out the skin's spotwelds and separate it from the inner structure. Then I'd set the inner on the car and, as mentioned, see how the rear, side and windshield glass fits up to it. Stick some shims between the pieces to approximate the cut as you also mentioned. If, now shimmed and fitting over the glass decently, see where the pieces line up to the balance of the car. This is going to be a royal PITA and if you could arrange a used roof inner, it would make your life much easier. Otherwise, you'll just have to fab up what you need and put it in. Hope this helps even a wee bit.  :cheers:

Offline BAM

• www.FindCyprus.org
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016 - 02:44:19 AM »
I don`t really have a new roof skin nor another structure. I`m using the original roof structure of the car and i have new windshield posts (A pillar) and new roof brace (all 3 of them).

I want to reattach the roof structure, change the A pillars and the roof brace and then the car will go in storage for a while as for some time, I don`t have a job :)

I think we will start by welding the C pillar (rear part of the structure) in 2-3 spots to hold it on the position, we will test fit the parts that i have and once everything matches everything, we will do the final weld. i really need someone to give me a perfectly accurate measurement here:

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016 - 08:56:30 PM »
Okay, I just went and measured my car and the size of that opening measures 4.25" or 110mm inside edge of the flange to flange in the centre of the hole. Hope that helps!  :cheers:

Offline BAM

• www.FindCyprus.org
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016 - 11:07:44 AM »
Cheers!! I will check my ones this days and see how much is missing.

Thank you!

Offline rhamson

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016 - 03:51:53 PM »
God love ya. You have a mell of a hess there.

Offline BAM

• www.FindCyprus.org
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016 - 03:36:04 AM »

:banghead: i know but i`m enthusiastic about this project and there is no way i will abandon. I`m working almost every day on the car and in 2 weeks i will start the welding process. for now, it`s only preparation

Offline Challenger in NC

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016 - 07:05:51 AM »
:banghead: i know but i`m enthusiastic about this project and there is no way i will abandon. I`m working almost every day on the car and in 2 weeks i will start the welding process. for now, it`s only preparation

Yeah, I don't envy you but keep at it. Will be watching your progress.

Offline YellowThumper

• I left the snow for this?
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016 - 06:11:32 PM »
The fact that you have the original roof structure is an immense help. One real unknown is the amount of missing material from the cut off process. My 2c suggestion is to mount the roof utilizing some (or many) welded on straps. These strap brackets would mount the top structure so that it is effectively "floating" above the lower portion. From there you can bend and tweak the straps to position roof at its best fitting location. This floating position will allow you to also see if car has sagged. I would imagine the upper structure did not move much post cut off.
Don't be afraid to tweak the body structure it WILL move and twist easily. Probably already has...
If you need to twist one way or another. Jack up a tire or 2 to add pressure to a specific corner. If needed for sagging jack up car and set it down on blocks in its center portion. Pick anchor points to pull, etc....
Then when you are happy with the locations on all corners weld in interior bracing fore, aft and diagonal. Then start welding the structure. I would start with the rears because your are keeping them. Do a little move to another corner and a little more. Keep checking for unwanted movement. Once rear is solid then work the A pillars. Don't skimp on the attachment strapping that will eventually be discarded.

My 4c on this...
Best wishes
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016 - 06:13:16 PM by YellowThumper »
Removing the warning labels one at a time.
Nature will take care of the rest.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016 - 06:30:10 PM »

:iagree: :scared: :worshippy
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline BAM

• www.FindCyprus.org
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016 - 02:40:16 AM »
Thank you guys. It`s on standby this week as I`m abroad but as soon as i get back to Cyprus, game on. will keep posting photos and the way it goes