Speedo not working

Author Topic: Speedo not working  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Rizzay

Speedo not working
« on: June 05, 2005 - 06:56:10 PM »
One of the many items that needs work on my Chally.  The speedometer isn't working. Went to the local auto parts store and the replacement cable they gave me was the wrong one. Although I did notice while I had the old cable off, that the old cable would spin from one end to another. Does this mean the old cable is still good and there is another problem? Or would replacing the cable be a possible solution.

Vehicle background: '73 Chally, 318 with an automatic.

Another issue is that the dipstick bracket for the tranny doesn't line up with the bolt hold in which it is to mount.  Any suggestions?

Thank you all for your help.

~Rizzay - The newbie

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
Re: Speedo not working
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005 - 07:46:11 PM »
on the speedo cable ...yes if you spin one end the opposite should spin too. Look at the end from the tranny...is it squared? also hook up the cable to your speedo and spin the cable does the needle move? hook to a reversable drill and do the same thing it should show a reading too
if no reading with the drill most likely speedo is bad
if it shows a reading then either the cable is stripped (not square on the end) or the drive gear is stripped (most all are plastic )

Offline Rizzay

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005 - 02:18:48 PM »
on the speedo cable ...yes if you spin one end the opposite should spin too. Look at the end from the tranny...is it squared? also hook up the cable to your speedo and spin the cable does the needle move? hook to a reversable drill and do the same thing it should show a reading too
if no reading with the drill most likely speedo is bad
if it shows a reading then either the cable is stripped (not square on the end) or the drive gear is stripped (most all are plastic )

Thank you for the help, will look into it further and let you know.

Offline Johnny Cuda

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005 - 04:22:25 PM »
Riz,

Don't feel bad my speedo has'nt worked in years. I made the move to those swim trunks that go ;D down to the knees. Least I'm not gettin laughed at anymore.

Offline pain995

• My Red Hot 69.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005 - 07:51:41 PM »
Don't feel bad my speedo has'nt worked in years. I made the move to those swim trunks that go Grin down to the knees. Least I'm not gettin laughed at anymore.
:laughup:  :laughup:

Thanks for the tips Outlaw I'll have to see whats up with my speedo soon so I know what to try now.  Also nice new pic of your fish
Proud Owner of a 69 Barracuda

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005 - 01:30:23 AM »
you may have a big block dipstick tube in your small block trans or vice versa

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline matt63

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005 - 10:04:41 PM »
You may want to check if the speedo gear teeth are still good..  Also, if not installed correctly it is possible for them to not work either (i've done it) Its easy to pull out and replace.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005 - 06:59:52 PM »
is it pluged in the back of the insturment cluster?
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005 - 08:28:31 AM »
is it pluged in the back of the insturment cluster?

That's a good place to start. Is it plugged into the speedo far enough to lock on to it? If so, then the problem is either the speedo itself, or the grear inside the tranny. The speedo is easy to check. Pull the gauge cluster out. Take a small drill bit with your hand, and spin it clockwise. The needle should jump up. If that isn't your problem, then the speedo gear needs checked out inside the tranny. Look at the place wear the other end of the speedo cable meets with the tranny. There is a clip held on by one nut holding a round plate where the cable connects to it. Remove the clip, and you can pull the plate out. At this point you will get a bath of tranny fluid, so have a pan ready. Look at the gear and see if it's worn. Another problem could be it was installed incorrectly. On the metal plate, there are numbers that represent the ranges for the number of teeth the gear has. This range of numbers needs to be at the 6 O'clock position.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005 - 06:24:31 PM »
i had the same problem in my dart the speedo would work but it would get up to about 25 and just bounce around! i just messed around alittle and sure enought it wasnt pluged in all the way thats why i mentioned it it was being a smart a$$  :thumbs:

Offline Rizzay

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005 - 05:55:11 AM »
i had the same problem in my dart the speedo would work but it would get up to about 25 and just bounce around! i just messed around alittle and sure enought it wasnt pluged in all the way thats why i mentioned it it was being a smart a$$  :thumbs:

My speedo cable had broken off into the transmission. Pulled the gear cover and gear out, cleaned it all up, installed a new cable, works great now. Thank you all for you help.

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005 - 03:42:54 PM »
glad its working!! now you can raise some heck and know how fast your doing it!!  ;D  but dont get caught!!   :burnout: